Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

The new lab

(1/10) > >>

The E:
Today's Nightly build includes a new version of the F3 lab.

The biggest change in there is that this new lab allows you to preview mission backgrounds through the "Backgrounds" rider that has been added next to the "Ships" and "Weapons" riders. Clicking on it will open a window listing all available missions, sorted by the vp or directory they're in; if you then click on a mission name, that mission's background will be loaded.
It is important to note that, similar to FRED, nebula backgrounds are (at the moment, anyway) not displayed correctly; furthermore, if no ship or weapon has been selected, backgrounds will not be rendered.

This also changes the camera controls, the new controls are:

* Hold LMB + Mouse movement rotates the ship

* Hold RMB + Mouse movement rotates the camera

* Hold Shift + Hold LMB + Mouse movement up/down moves the camera towards/away from the ship
The "Render Options" window has been updated as well: It now includes sliders to directly adjust the -bloom_intensity, -spec_static and -ambient_factor commandline options (spec_point and spec_tube only affect point and tube lights respectively, i.e. lights off of lasers, explosions and beams; they cannot be previewed in the lab) and a checkbox to switch -no_emissive_light on or off.

A few things have been removed: It is no longer possible to switch to different LODs on models or display a ship's debris; the former is something you can simulate by moving the camera far away so that the LOD switch happens "naturally". Debris has been disabled for the moment until I can figure out how to actually make it work within the context of the new lab, this will come back. For similar reasons, you cannot preview the techroom models of weapons; this too will find its way back in, but not for now.

karajorma:
Seems to be working for me. Anything specific you want us to check for?

Also, since the movement controls are different from FRED (or in-game for that matter) can we get a help option that tells us what they are?

The E:

--- Quote from: karajorma on February 17, 2018, 08:21:59 am ---Also, since the movement controls are different from FRED (or in-game for that matter) can we get a help option that tells us what they are?

--- End quote ---

This is addressed here.

Also, I just noticed that glowpoints attached to rotating subsystems do not rotate correctly, that's something you don't need to tell me :).

As for feedback: I don't know? Just tell me what you guys would like to see added to the lab?

mjn.mixael:
Excited for the new Lab!

I am bummed that we lost easy access to lods/debris/tech models (for now). I used to click through those, forcing the engine to load each one to check for errors. However this method of viewing lods will be super helpful if there's a distance measurement on the screen.

Spoon:
Without having seen it actually with my own eyes yet: what mjn.mixael said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version