Author Topic: RELEASE - Shivans! v0.2  (Read 41168 times)

RELEASE - Shivans! v0.2
Fly as the Shivans against the GTVA long after the events of FS2. Requires mediavps 3.6.10, FSO build capable of using the ownage settings in ai_profiles.tbl.

Features:
  • 3 demo missions (including one BOE because I could :P, each containing fun bonus goals)
  • Shivan campaign by BlackHole (converted by ShadowGorrath), non-canon
  • Flyable Shivan fighters/bombers
  • A whole new array of Shivan weapons (including subspace bombs, shield piercing weapons, ballistic primaries)
  • New Shivan ships, including 2 fighters (one of which is a stealth fighter)
  • A whole new line of Terran capital ships (mostly from BluePlanet) and some new fighters
  • New Vasudan capital ships and fighters
  • New capital ship weapons for Terran and Vasudan ships (eg. railguns for Terrans)
  • Different coloured explosion shockwaves for each race
  • New interface screens
  • Shivan pilot images
  • New command brief and techroom ANIs
  • New techroom entries for every Shivan ship/weapon
  • Extensive Intelligence Techroom entries
  • Cooperation with Ancient mod by ShadowGorrath, to make a consistent timeline spanning from the time of the ancients to well past the destruction of Capella

I'll try to list anything else I can actually remember.

Provided:

FSO SVN trunk builds (July 8th, 2008, revision 4694, release and debug, includes FRED2)
Newer build (includes some changes like support for normal maps) here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55190.0.html
Windows shortcut to FRED2 with mod dir, to allow missions to be made using this mod
The mod itself (with 3 demo missions and a short converted campaign, non canon to this mod)

Optional (and separate):

Adv effects pack, to be used if adv effects mediavps are used.

WIP screenshots here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50408.0.html

Download here. Optional Advanced effects pack (if you are using adv mediavps) linked from there.

Installation

1. Extract the contents of the 7z into your main FS2 directory. You should now have exes and a shortcut in your main directory, as well as a directory named shivans_0.2 (the mod directory). Delete settings.ini if required (accidentally left it in after testing, sorry :o).

2. If you downloaded the advanced pack, extract the vp into the shivans_0.2 directory.

3. Set your launcher to use one of the exes provided (though the GTD Titan crashes the debug version, I think), and set your mod directory to shivans_0.2 to play.

4. If you want to fred using this mod, use the provided shortcut (Windows only). If the path is not found, change the path to the fred exe in your FS2 directory. If using another OS, hopefully you can figure it out then tell me so I can stick instructions here. :P

I'll probably stick a FAQ or something down here. Comments/suggestions/constructive criticism welcome. Remember that this is still a work in progress.

Notes:
  • BOE mission may do odd things because of the sheer number of ships in it
  • For anyone experiencing problems with the 2nd mission of the mini-campaign: The solution is to create a pilot from scratch (using the choose pilot screen on startup, not the barracks), then use that to play that campaign. I have no idea why it's happening, and it's not my campaign, just converted to use my mod.
  • Campaigns and missions included are not canon. See techroom entries for information on what this mod considers canon.
  • Campaigns and missions made by other people and posted to me (in this thread, PM, etc.) may be included in the next release and credited (canon or not, as long as they're fun)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:05:13 am by Flaming_Sword »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: RELEASE - Shivans! v0.2
Yey. Downloading.

But I told you you should have posted all the things that are in the mod ( features ).  :p

I would love to test it but how do I check my mediavp versions. I downloaded SCP back when it was 3.6.9 but I think the mediavps are newer.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
3.6.8 Zeta mediavps have mv_models.vp and mv_textures.vp. 3.6.10 mediavps have mv_assets.vp instead of models and textures.

OK, I need to upgrade then. ;p

Yey. Downloading.

But I told you you should have posted all the things that are in the mod ( features ).  :p
Yeah, but my memory sucks. :P I'll give it a go anyway.

EDIT: There, did I leave out anything?

EDIT2: Whoops, demo mission bonus goals.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:13:44 am by Flaming_Sword »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
You forgot to mention the command brief and intelligence animations :P

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I seem to be having a problem getting the game started!  I got the game to start without the enhancements but that the only time I CAN get it to work.  Not to mention, the ReadMe file dosen't give any instructions on installing it.  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME???!!!!!  :wtf:
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

First post updated with some (hopefully useful) installation instructions.

You forgot to mention the command brief and intelligence animations :P
See, I forget things. :P

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
First post updated with some (hopefully useful) installation instructions.

What I'm trying to say is that when I install the mod as usual (that is, making a folder for the mod in the FS2 root directory and placing the files needed for the mod into that folder), I then start the SCP launcher and select the mod I want, then I start the game.  The problem is when splash screen comes up is when I get a countless number of missing file errors.  I'm not sure if that's suppose to happen or if those "trunk" files have anything to do with it.  THAT'S why I'd like to have more specific install instructions!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:37:01 pm by NFSRacer »
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Well, are you using the 3.6.10 mediavps? And do you have the 3.6.10 adv_effects.vp mediavp ? Cause they are necessary ( the advanced effects vp is required for the optional files ).

Flaming_Sword, I think you haven't included traitor.tbl ?

P.S. Posting at 05:45 in the early morning. . .

I remember taking that out, so it shouldn't be there. I was planning on doing one once I had wingmen personas fixed up.

Also, my 7z was packaged in a way that the mod dir was already provided (no need to make a new one). You just extract the whole archive into your FS2 dir (assuming you're preserving the dir structure) and it should be all set up.

Which mission? You didn't try to play the titan one using a debug build, did you?

What 3.6.10 build did you use? Information about any builds that work will also be useful for anybody else having problems.

EDIT: Were you using the advanced pack? Did you have advanced 3.6.10 mediavps installed with the mod.ini pointing to it? Narrowing down the cause of any bugs will help me fix things.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:47:56 am by Flaming_Sword »

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
...advanced 3.6.10 mediavps installed with the mod.ini pointing to it?

OK. I think that maybe what I missed!  I'll check that and let you know the result.

Almost forgot, sometimes the BOE mission will do odd things because of it's BOE nature (lots and lots of ships). If that's the one crashing, please list your build, settings and system specs.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
I've never really modded an ini file.  Should I put the version number in the "multimod" line?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I repeat: it works fine without the additional pack, right? If so, then get the adv_effects.vp

And the mod.ini file is provided. Just make sure that your 3.6.10 mediavps are placed in a folder called mediavps.

Also make sure that your launcher is using the provided exe.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
OK.  I just checked the error message again to see what the missing files were.  The missing files are ship.tbl files.  Weren't those included with the mod?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Post the error message

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Post the error message

I'm not really sure how to do that.  Not to mention, when you save an error message to a clipboard, I'm not sure how to access it.  That also includes the how to access the desktop pictures.  Call me an idiot, call me what you will, I DON'T CARE!  The sooner we can get this problem fixed, the sooner we can get on with life!