Author Topic: Use of Ship Models in Other Projects  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Cypher

Use of Ship Models in Other Projects
Hi.

I am very impressed by the modeling work so far. I can't wait for a demo.

Currently, I am looking at creating a Star Wars plugin for Escape Velocity Nova (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn) and for a clone called Naev (http://blog.naev.org/).

I need 3d ship models do generate sprite sheets (and eventually the 3D models themselves for Naev) and, since the models associated with this project seem to be some of the best available, I was wondering if any of you would be interested in contributing your models to this project. I need permissive licenses (creative commons, preferably something like share alike, etc).,

The preferred format is .blend, buy i'll take .obj. 3DS tends to have issues, so I would like to avoid these.

Any contributions are welcome.

Thanks.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Use of Ship Models in Other Projects
Our models are themselves set up with in game use in mind, but it seems like any of the renderable models on the 3d model dump sites would serve your needs well.  On top of that, most of our stuff is done in Max at this point.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering how great Brand's renders look, I understand that he is interested in them.
Models of that quality are often offered for a price.
FoTG models are among the best ones I seen.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Thank you for the praise, however at this time I am not interested in sharing any of my models for other mod or game projects.  Other artists may, of course, do as they like with their own works.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Cypher

I have looked into Scifi3d's models, but lots of them have issues when imported into blender (particularly the .3DS files).

Yes, the major reason I decided to ask for contributions here was definitely the quality factor. You guys do great work.

Otoh, I certainly respect the modeler's decision to volunteer/not volunteer their models.

On a similar note, I would appreciate if anyone can point me to other free sites where I can obtain this type of material or to other projects that are building them.

Thanks.

Offline Cypher

Also, I need more content than just ships (like gun/equipment models, if anyone is working on that type of thing).

Offline jacek

Hi Cypher!

If you interested in my Action 6 you can download it here:
http://3dart.ovh.org/probnik/Action6.rar

License is really easy:
Code: [Select]
- your app is non-profit app
- you add a note to your app that this model was created by Jacek Cichy
- and it will be really nice to inform me that you are using it ;).

Offline Cypher

@jacek: thanks!

The model looks good, but I am not getting any textures. Does the .mtl file refer to any textures? Could you send these (is the action6 textured at this point in time).

Offline Cypher

Sorry to bump my dead post, but are there any other takers? I'm currently in the planning stage (have to code an editor to work with Naev's files).

Wouldn't our models be unecessarily detailed?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Wouldn't our models be unecessarily detailed?

Well, not if he's just rendering them to sprites, which sounds like what he's doing.

Offline Cypher

Well, for now I'd render it into sprites, but the head dev of Naev wants to eventually move to using 3d models (better memory usage).

Overly detailed is much better than inadequately detailed :).

Also, the level of detail is precisely the reason I came here first (the ships look very professional).