Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308231 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: What are you working on?
Both positions are valid when it comes to releasing unfinished models. I've personally completed or have in progress multiple ships modelled to LoD0 stage by others, where I did the UV, LoDs, debris, conversion, texture etc. It does happen... But it's rare, and you either need to have a really, really great model, or get lucky and fill a niche that someone needs.

It doesn't hurt to release meshes though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have the impression that UVmapping is the biggest bottleneck in the entire process.  A lot of models stall at that point, and there aren't many people who are both good at, and dedicated to, the art of UVmapping.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Kind of. I think it's actually more that UV mapping is the first step after modelling for a lot of people, and it's boring. Texturing isn't exactly a cakewalk, amd LoDding, making debris and conversion all have the potential to stymie development.

I think it's more that UV mapping is kind of a natural place for people to stop. The fun, creative, relatively easy part is done, the harder, less fun parts are ahead - easy to lose motivation.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I have the impression that UVmapping is the biggest bottleneck in the entire process.  A lot of models stall at that point, and there aren't many people who are both good at, and dedicated to, the art of UVmapping.
When someone is good at both modelling and mapping, the second task is not really a Nightmare. I mapped the Eurynome in... 2 hours? I guess. Texturing was more time-consuming.

The biggest problem of making UV maps is coming from geometry. When you mapped billions of polygons in your life you exactly know how to make geometry suitable for large, unstretched and clean UV isles. I didn't realise I know such a thing for a long time. Newer users used to aim at superstrange greebles, small interiors and other parts of unusual geometry "which are cool", and later they just don't know how to UV it quickly... Or resulting in numerous small isles which are a torment to texture.

Yeah... "Modelling with mapping in mind" - One of the best pharses I've heard here :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I have happily scavenged other people's LOD0s rather than building my own from time to time, but as Black Wolf said, it really needs to fill a niche I need.
I try to take things I built myself to completion before starting anything else just as a rule of thumb. Seems to work out since I think I have something like a 90+% completion rate of ships I start making (it just becomes a matter of time?).

Also helps to have friends to collaborate on things. Like, sometimes I model LOD0 and UVmap, and get AndrewofDoom to texture. Sometimes he does LOD0, I UVmap and texture, etc. Experience different parts of the workflow.

I'm not good at UVmapping, not by a long shot. I just do it because I have to. It seems to be the one thing that nobody else really ever wants to do, which is what I think Goober is getting at when he say's it's the bottleneck. If you don't learn to do it yourself, it is very hard to find someone willing to take a LOD0 and throw you it back unwrapped.

Back on topic:

Concept of what early terran warships looked like in DE, so intended to have a bit more in common with the Impervious-class. p3d ate my smooth groups.
AndrewofDoom's been bugging me to replace the Karuna model.
...but really it's just an excuse to have myspace Takao - i know it's silly stop laughing at me :(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
...but really it's just an excuse to have myspace Takao - i know it's silly stop laughing at me :(

I didn't know I wanted this until now. :P

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Interesting design...

Third top cannon is pointless due to it's very small angle of fire. I would go for full Bismarck config here. Also something is wrong with the spinal... Boxes? They needs some more detail or remodelling into something less boxy.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Interesting design...

Third top cannon is pointless due to it's very small angle of fire. I would go for full Bismarck config here. Also something is wrong with the spinal... Boxes? They needs some more detail or remodelling into something less boxy.

Yeah, but look at IJN Takao. It had such weird turret configuration and Droid wanted to replicate it here :P But I've never been a big fan of IJN designs. US Navy all the way (Iowa-class <3) :P!

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I maek teckschure

Spoiler:
Blame Hades for the bad bridge placement.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeee, I blame him. He's the worst modeller in the universe, he shound have no right to breathe, speak, eat in McDonalds...

But this thing is sweel, and I absolutly love it :D!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Pewpew!

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Okay, after playing around with the program (Wings3D) and finding some very useful functions and keybinds, I finally managed to make my first ship, which actually looks like a ship and not... a shoebox with engines strapped on it.

Not sure if it should be a scout or a ramming frigate...

It's an alien ship (Narzok, but they don't exist in a mod...yet...).

I added those two bars at the front part to prevent it from looking too... phallic.

EDIT: Also, I'm so glad Wings3D makes UV mapping (if it is what I think it is) such a breeze. I mapped this thing in... I dunno, about 1 minute. I've heard horror stories of UV mapping here...

Who knows, maybe what I described here is probably not UV mapping at all and I just made a total fool out of myself...can anyone explain to me what UV mapping is in a nutshell, just to make sure?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:57:17 am by Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet »
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That upper design looks like it could be some kind of mobile communications ship.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
That upper design looks like it could be some kind of mobile communications ship.
Mobile communications ship? What race it belongs to?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

It belongs to a race in a campaign which hasn't been released yet, since I need to finish another one first.
The race's name is 'Nozrak' by the way.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

It belongs to a race in a campaign which hasn't been released yet, since I need to finish another one first.
Nozrak? Who are they? Are they hostile or friendly?

And what campaign?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Nozrak? Who are they? Are they hostile or friendly?

And what campaign?

Definetly hostile.
Nozrak are basically aliens that search out star systems, check for intelligent lifeforms and try to take their planets. The Scout (see model) is tasked with finding those lifeforms.

The campaign doesn't even have a name yet, let alone, a mission. I will release more details about it once I am ready to fully focus on it, which means I need to get my current project out of the way.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
34 vars.
Over 60 sexps.
One almost-complete capship command base.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Does it even look like Nightmare warship o__O?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's a Vasudan ship with feathers.  :)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!