Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308263 times)

Offline mr.WHO

Re: What are you working on?
This might be a bit off-topic (as there is no "working" here) but I found a concept that screams "new Hercules", so If there is a bored modder who is looking for inspiration...
https://alpyro.deviantart.com/art/SPaceship-08-664898208

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
I made a space whale! Nothing special, just a space whale. With very sharp teeth

Also a sort-of flesh corrupted version of one of my older ships to see how well I do with more complex texturing...

"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline starlord

That is great. Looks like homeworld beast ships.

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
That is great. Looks like homeworld beast ships.

Thanks. That's what I was basing them on, actually.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The first one is interesting. Might work as Nightmare bomber or cruiser.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starlord

Actually the first look like sinistar unleashed designs. That game had IMO the coolest organic looking ships.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Agreed on the Nightmare assessment, though I'm also getting a vibe of the Purgell from Star Wars: Rebels.  It's the trailing tentacles.

The other one, without the arm things it reminds me of the Lumatti ship from Babylon 5 "Acts of Sacrifice".
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Over the past month, I've been fixing the model of Esarai's TSJ Amaterasu. All of the subobjects, including all turrets, have been removed to give the model a clean slate to be improved upon.

I've been thinking I wanted to make it more similar to the First Order Dreadnought that will be going to be featured in the upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi film (its length is 7,669.72 m, compared to Amaterasu's 7,172 m). But more weaponry than usual.

Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, all those boxes and other random stuff deserved to die. Especially with Arcadia tiles slapped on. It looked like mosaic of somekind. IMHO this model needs completely new detail work to be pretty.

Anyway first models of Esarai were still better than mine :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Smeeling a bit of Homeworld Cataclysm's the BEAST here...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Yeah, all those boxes and other random stuff deserved to die. Especially with Arcadia tiles slapped on. It looked like mosaic of somekind. IMHO this model needs completely new detail work to be pretty.

Anyway first models of Esarai were still better than mine :P
Agreed. I'm working on it.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
So, as Nyctaeus requested, I have completely removed all Arcadia tiles over the TSJ Amaterasu. Instead, I remodeled them, based on Esarai's. In fact, I'm starting to be more like him.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
"Suggested" is a proper word here.

Try to differentate your surfaces a little. Avoid approach of making make large, flat surfaces and than filling them with numerous genereric plating and stuff. Don't be afraid of flat surfaces and breaking main lines of your ship with details. Less but well placed details are better, than numerous generic hull plates.

Try to differentate your surfaces a little. Avoid approach of making make large, flat surfaces and than filling them with numerous genereric plating and stuff. Don't be afraid of flat surfaces and breaking main lines of your ship with details. Less but well placed details are better, than numerous generic hull plates.

Also. When you make chunks of details, try to use various heights. Let's say, make one plate and another one next to it with different height and shape. It will be more eye-catching

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Also. When you make chunks of details, try to use various heights. Let's say, make one plate and another one next to it with different height and shape. It will be more eye-catching
But how? Like spires? Like the First Order Dreadnought (see below) from Star Wars The Last Jedi?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

But how? Like spires? Like the First Order Dreadnought (see below) from Star Wars The Last Jedi?

I'd rather stay as far away from SW-style designs as possible if I were you. Especially the imperial/ First Order ones. From up close those ships may be extremely well detailed, but the overall shape is very very simple. Looking at ISD, we have a triangular, spearhead like hull covered with little, tiny armor plates and other details. It looks very well from up close, because they had to film a lot of very close flybys. But from far all I see is a boring chunk of metal. First Order dreadnought looks like a giant, flat, metal toast. Try to break down the big flat surfaces by adding big chunks of material on the hull. Lesser but bigger details will be more visible then a lot of small plates or pipes slapped on the ship.

That dreadnought's cannons are the only details that are eye catching, the rest is boring flat surface, try making more of such details like their mounts. Try to look at your model from far distance from time to time. If you see your details from far away (like the player during the mission), that's good.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I though that the Cobra frigate was a bit....underwhelming. So meet it's big brother:

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I like it, just as I always liked original appearance of Cobra. Updated original would be cool tool!

How is her armament? 2 spinal BFGreens :P?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nah, that would be overkill..

Not so sure yet, but I'm thinking 2 BGreens (or a rapid-fire but weaker beam type), 4 torpedo launchers and a bunch of smaller weapons
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I thought the re-done TSJ Amaterasu thought me, but I'm designing one that's inspired by the Resistance Bomber from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, but it's horizontal, rather than vertical. :)

P3d link
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:07:12 am by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template