Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308296 times)

Re: What are you working on?
She's not dead...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
*snip*

Holy crap, instant detail-boner.  Epic work!
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
*snip*

Holy crap, instant detail-boner.  Epic work!
You're alive! Thank god! Anyway, I complement you, Esarai. :D
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Started up a few weeks back a little long-term pet project involving the old SOC Galatea model; looking to make it into a pre-FS1-era heavy carrier (that is meant to have inspired the design of the Orion later on). It'll eventually have different turreting too. Progress has been good so far (though it would be rude of me to call it 'modelling' atm as it has been entirely moving around and modifying parts of the old model for now :lol:).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Plz, don't move the tower. It looked much better where it was before. Galatea is already so cool and doesn't need big changes in overall shape. Just details. Lots of details.

I fully support upgrading of that model as it was always cool, and they were also two attempts of HTLing this thing. Both failed -___-. I can make some greebles and other stuff if you want some small collab.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Plz, don't move the tower. It looked much better where it was before. Galatea is already so cool and doesn't need big changes in overall shape. Just details. Lots of details.

I fully support upgrading of that model as it was always cool, and they were also two attempts of HTLing this thing. Both failed -___-. I can make some greebles and other stuff if you want some small collab.

Shall move it back (actually agree with you it looked better in old place in hindsight). And huge thanks shall defo take you up on the offer when base model is done; openly confess my modelling skills atm are low compared to what other modellers can manage on here (I'll be lucky to manage retail quality :o), so would mean a lot to have someone of your skill give it a going over :yes:.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Cheers, dude. Feel free to work at your own pace. Send this to me if you suffer lack of ideas or anything :P. I like sharing the model few times between me and the one I'm collaborating with, just like cumulative modelling project.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The monster is finally ready. Time to texture this beast!

Edit:
whitearrow, Did you think about remodelling base shape and adapt the details into new model? It's quite noticable that this ship is your first model, and the whole process of learning how to make cool starship is visible there. From ugly big plates and randomly subdivided sections, to breathtakling greebles and turrets. Looking at skill you gained since the first WiP shot I think you just need fresh start of something new :P.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:14:02 pm by Nyctaeus »

Offline mr.WHO

Are these tripple tubes on left "wing" and these things on the fron of bottom "wings" the torpedo/missile launchers?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I restored torpedo launchers alongside with hangar and ramp. Their layout is pretty much the same as retail Lindos used to have. Both triple tube clusters are launchers. The third one is underneath the launching ramp.

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
I made more spaceships, which are a bit better detailed than my first one. It's a whole album by the way.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Y8hkR

First one's a 'Subspace Inhibitor Frigate' (note the ring). That large spike is its only direct weapon.

Second one is a stealth fighter. 'Nuff said.

Third one is a light Terran fighter. Very fast but vet fragile.

Fourth is a 'mobile Turret platform'. That large flat surface will later have a bunch of turrets on them. Can also be retrofitted to be a bomber.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I like the second one. Looks like something organic and would work well as vasudan ship.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Edit:
whitearrow, Did you think about remodelling base shape and adapt the details into new model? It's quite noticable that this ship is your first model, and the whole process of learning how to make cool starship is visible there. From ugly big plates and randomly subdivided sections, to breathtakling greebles and turrets. Looking at skill you gained since the first WiP shot I think you just need fresh start of something new :P.
Personally, I think his smooth plating looks a lot better than your haphazard shotgun greebling. He seems to have a good understanding of where and how to do greebling, which is armor paneling is generally smooth and clean or simple while deeper more mechanical bits of the ship are more visually noisy and industrial.

Frankly by comparison, your ship is a mess. It's random clashing details thrown about with no real sense as to what they do for the ship as a whole, aesthetically or otherwise. To make matters worse, you've also used an incredibly visually busy set of tiles on top of it all. That isn't to say his ship doesn't need work or that yours is entirely faulty, but that just as there's a thing as too simple there's also such a thing as too complex, and while simplicity can have incredible depth complexity does not instantly obtain depth.

These are things I've learned about visual design over the years that I didn't fully appreciate when making models like the Medusa, which I still regret how overdone the detailing on the pods are. I ended up doing less with more and now I kick myself over it years later. So basically this isn't meant to be an attack on you, Betrayal, but more me giving you my opinion that you need to show more restraint with your modeling because you're technically a fine modeler but I disagree with how you approach greebling.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:04:50 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
As for texture work of Lindos, I have to agree. Lindos is basicly tilemapped model, but textures were baked into generated UVs. I'm not a fan of this technique, but it's extremly time consuming compared to standard UVing and painting plates and other stuff via digital painting. The effort I cannot handle currently due to constand high number of projects I'm working on, so I'm unable to make proper UVs and painted textures to all of them. Plus this is actually first non-tiled capship in Earth Alliance fleet in Inferno. Whatever I do, I have to keep it visually similar to other warships to keep general theme of the faction. Yes, we all sorely miss FSK inside Inferno Team.

I got your point about details, but Lindos isn't gonna be slender and subtle shape like majority of your models. My approach to this model was to make raw and industrial details, to show up what EA actually is. There is no place for rules of aesthetics here, but crude militaristic doctrine and ship style derived straight from GTA. You know that story. Every model by you is the same, with the same oversmoothed lines and overall similarity and while this is aesthetically acceptable, it failed in some cases like Orion. I don't want to be limited in that case.

Eurynome is perfect example of my personal approach how the ship should look like for me and how I actually model and texture with no limitations or external recommendations and when I have enough time and patience.

I appreciate all cricism and I agree with lot of points, but I've never seen a finished model all by yourself so I doubt if you know how much work a single, high poly model require to be finished all by yourself. You are experianced modeller, but I never seen If you can do anything more. I also don't know how your personal situation is, neither do I care but mine is forcing me to use worse looking, but time consuming solutions. The whole and neverending tilemapping bulls**t came from people who lack basic understanding that finishing a model is more important than polishing it. Grim legend of failure projects with tons of unfinished assets is well known here.

And yes, I'm laughting with Col.Hornet on fb chat that Lindos is incredibly ugly, but it's finished :P.
As for whitearrow's frigate, I hold up what I said before. He's greebling work is admirable, but lots of sections are underdetailed and modelled in typical newbie style similar to what Jadehawk shown us before. His frigate would benefit a lot from remodelling base shape, or at least some sections.

As for whitearrow's frigate, I hold up what I said before. He's greebling work is admirable, but lots of sections are underdetailed and modelled in typical newbie style similar to what Jadehawk shown us before. His frigate would benefit a lot from remodelling base shape, or at least some sections.

If you go into the Dimensional Eclipse board you'll see lots of underdetailed, smooth ships which are 'noobish' by your standards but somehow manage to look much better than your models, so I'm going to throw another vote into the "whitearrow should do the exact opposite of this advice" box.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:53:53 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

I appreciate all cricism and I agree with lot of points, but I've never seen a finished model all by yourself so I doubt if you know how much work a single, high poly model require to be finished all by yourself. You are experianced modeller, but I never seen If you can do anything more. I also don't know how your personal situation is, neither do I care but mine is forcing me to use worse looking, but time consuming solutions. The whole and neverending tilemapping bulls**t came from people who lack basic understanding that finishing a model is more important than polishing it. Grim legend of failure projects with tons of unfinished assets is well known here.
Nice attempt to delegitimise Hades' opinion.  But I have finished models all by myself, and I held off on commenting because Hades said basically what I wanted to say.  I agree with what he said completely.

You're a talented modeler from a technical perspective.  I have no real criticisms of your technical ability, and I admire your willingness to help others complete their models (I've never been able to manage the will to do that).  Your artistic sense, however, is profoundly uninteresting to me.  The Eurynome is a perfect example.  Technically quite nice, but the ship's design itself is, to put it bluntly, mediocre  (I'd be willing to bet you feel the same way about my designs), and I strongly dislike your approach to detailing. 

But while you're quite willing to blame Esarai and I for why model threads get no attention these days, I think this is precisely the reason your models get little attention.  You'll notice Col. Hornet's threads don't really have the same issue.

I find whitearrow's model to be considerably more interesting than the Eurynome, in spite of the model's technical flaws.  It could inspire an HTL in 10 years.  I don't think the Eurynome will unless you do it yourself.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:30:31 pm by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Stopppppppp modeling and rigging is a rare talent around here and you're all precious

I respect Betrayal's attitude of "I just want to finish these models and get them in the game" a great deal, I have to say.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I respect Betrayal's attitude of "I just want to finish these models and get them in the game" a great deal, I have to say.

This. But equally, Hades has made some of my favorite FS models,and taken ages to do them. In fact, I can think of models that I really like produced by every individual in this debate - nobody has a monopoly on the "right way" to produce a model.

There's a lot to be said for knowing your own style, and using that knowledge to finish and release models inside a reasonable timeframe so that it can actually be used by FREDders. There's also something to be said for spending years creating a masterpiece. One way or the other is not "better", and if people from either school of thought want to give advice to other modellers, it's nobody's right to try to shut them down based on how they do their own.

And I am definitely not going to let this thread of all threads deteriorate into insults. There's absolutely no problem with people politely discussing the value of speed vs detail, or greebling density/style, but this isn't the place. Start a new thread.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Here's my work on the Galactic Rim World's most widely used space superiority fighter, the GRF Caranayodhin, currently for my mod, Shattered Stars. This model is now based on the untextured, high-poly AF Corybant from the model dump for the Act 3 of Ancient-Shivan War rather than the AF Kato/Vishnan Missionary in Inferno, Ancient-Shivan War and Blue Planet.

Note there's a diamond-like feature on the top of the fuselage, and a "show ship" cockpit currently under WIP (I wanted it to be rounded and sharped).

EDIT: This is one of the many fleet assets specifically for that mod.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:00:19 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...