Author Topic: Questions about old storyline  (Read 4869 times)

Offline mr.WHO

Questions about old storyline
I have a questions about Ancients storyline for old Inferno.
I know there is unofficial Ancients pack/story in making, but because it is behind both Nostos and INF:A I do not expect the release before 2038, so I think revealing this part will not spoil anyting.

What was the planned Ancients story in Inferno? I assume some part of Ancients empire managed to survive/evacuate/cut away behind one of their Knossos and Shivans either didn't knew this or didn't know how to operate Knossos device.
In Ancients Juggernaut descriptions there was mention that Ancient-Shivan battles were spotted by GTVA, so I guess that Knossos was in Shivan territory and GTVA opened it after defeat for Gigas and push into Shivan space.

Were Ancients intended to be hostile or friendly towards GTVA? Were they intended to ally with GTVA in the end?
What was their relative power comparing to GTVA? From Tech entries description it was mentioned they have several Juggernauts and several Super Carriers, which put them slightly ahead of entire GTVA in terms of raw firepower. However for several thousand years since Ancient-Shivan war this seems quite small. Maybe the region they were hiding was small and limited resources?

Also in the very old Inferno Webpage there was tech entry in picture of another race that was "as old and as powerful as Shivans" - what was their story and purpose in old Inferno? Were they cooperating with Shivans, their masters, or some kind of competitors like Brahmans from Blue Planet?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:15:40 pm by mr.WHO »

Re: Questions about old storyline
Here's some discussion about the old storyline, from that post onward to the end of the thread:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79199.msg1824996#msg1824996

I'd be happy to hear the full story, though.

Didn't knew there was ever something with Ancients since they apparently got removed some years ago.

Offline mr.WHO

Thanks, I knew I once asked these questions, but wasn't able to find them out :)

Just rediscovered some image I made from briefing icons of the old INF releases (INFR1 and INFA). One or 2 of the thingsshown are probably from the unknown species, in particular the RakDest thing that was probably the one from the Screen you've seen. It's quite old - the Selket turned out to be part of Nostos and the Kurruk is probably from the Sobek-like corvette that went missing in the meantime. Not sure about the Echidna, recherche says it was apparently a Shivan megaship from Hidden Terror, dunno how it was related to INF.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
What was the planned Ancients story in Inferno? I assume some part of Ancients empire managed to survive/evacuate/cut away behind one of their Knossos and Shivans either didn't knew this or didn't know how to operate Knossos device.
In Ancients Juggernaut descriptions there was mention that Ancient-Shivan battles were spotted by GTVA, so I guess that Knossos was in Shivan territory and GTVA opened it after defeat for Gigas and push into Shivan space.

IIRC the R4 stuff was behind a none Ancient portal. The Ancient portal stuff is actually for Gateways which I'd still like to get done at some point since it would be a different mission design to Nostos.

Were Ancients intended to be hostile or friendly towards GTVA? Were they intended to ally with GTVA in the end?
What was their relative power comparing to GTVA? From Tech entries description it was mentioned they have several Juggernauts and several Super Carriers, which put them slightly ahead of entire GTVA in terms of raw firepower. However for several thousand years since Ancient-Shivan war this seems quite small. Maybe the region they were hiding was small and limited resources?

Hostile, the GTVA gets in their way at that point of the story.

Also in the very old Inferno Webpage there was tech entry in picture of another race that was "as old and as powerful as Shivans" - what was their story and purpose in old Inferno? Were they cooperating with Shivans, their masters, or some kind of competitors like Brahmans from Blue Planet?
Basically the point of them was to make sure the Shivans didn't go too far with the destruction since the Shivans are capable of destroying entire solar systems. They generally leave each other alone though.

Not sure about the Echidna, recherche says it was apparently a Shivan megaship from Hidden Terror, dunno how it was related to INF.
Nope, it was the other species ship and was around 120km IIRC.

Thought so, I was just wondering how the briefing icon found its way to INF.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Realistically we may eventually resurrect INF:Alliance and/or INF:Gateways, but right now our goal is to patch R1 and work on R2.

R

Was INF Gateways announced somewhere? I think the only time I've heard about it was some side-campaign of INFASA, and that was when... 2009 or 10.
Naming confusion, turned out to be one of Mobius campaigns.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:50:26 pm by Nightmare »

Offline starlord

Rampage, if work in INF:A gets done, I definitely would love to see a return of those 2 mini campaigns möbius once announced. I believe they were called "the spirit of Ptah" and "gehenna's gate" and looked very promising.

Were those actually "official" INFA campaigns or more Mobius own projects?

Anyway, finishing the maincampaign will take a LOT of work. Finishing INFA even more. INF Gateway? Don't know. Then 2 other campaigns...

Offline mr.WHO

Hmm,
Finishing INF: Nostos +/- 5 Years
Finishing INF:A +/- 10 Years
Finishing Gateways: +/- 5 Years
Mini-campaign 1: +/- 2 Years
Mini-Campaign 2: +/- 2 Years

ETA for Inferno: Complete edition - around 2040.
I will probably play it living in Elons' Landing, Mars, downloading it from Solnet highband quantum net :)

Offline starlord

They were annonces as part of the inf:A continuity on moddb a while ago so I'm guessing official. I believe the arachnas got remade specifically for this. TSoP would have featured the het-ka

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Was INF Gateways announced somewhere? I think the only time I've heard about it was some side-campaign of INFASA, and that was when... 2009 or 10.
Naming confusion, turned out to be one of Mobius campaigns.
Gateways had nothing to do with Mobius, I actually still have 14/15 Gateways missions in an early prototype stage since I was producing that one.
It was our Ancient campaign and had nothing to do with INFA.

Yeah, as I said naming confusion with Gehenna's Gate (it's been a few years since I heard about any of them...)

Never heard something about Gateways, although I'm following the forum regulary for a long time. 15 missions doesn't sound that long though (atleast for a war with the Ancients).

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
There's a specific reason I didn't want it to be too long, since I'd have to be tracking capships lost in every mission using the persistent variables.

Sounds interesting. :) Was it announced somewhere? Or is the synopsis secret because it would spoil parts of the main campaign?