Author Topic: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within  (Read 189805 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: [WIP] SHATTERED STARS ACT 0 (DEMO)
I have notified Woutersmits of the progress of this mod, which will be released this December 14 (which may be a coincidence).

FREDding is proceeding smoothly.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline SL1

My overuse of the word "ship" aside, is there actually any Colony Wars/WCIV/Prophecy stuff available? Those games had a lot of designs I really liked.

My overuse of the word "ship" aside, is there actually any Colony Wars/WCIV/Prophecy stuff available? Those games had a lot of designs I really liked.

Probably you should PM Novachen in that case.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
bryan is it a coincidence that the release date for shattered stars part zero happens to also be the release date of mortal engines the major motion picture
In some way, yes. It is because for two reasons. Firstly, it's set in the same universe as it is trying to merge that into the FS universe, along with the 2004 re-imagined BSG (see Diaspora), and by a lesser extent, the UGSF series (Galaxian3, Starblade, Star Luster, Bosconian and Star Ixiom). Secondly, there's a proposition: If the major Mortal Engines motion picture's sequels happening, Part One will be set centuries after the events of Act Zero/Part Zero. If the Mortal Engines movie sequels don't wind up happening, the first part will be set shortly after this demo, but it depends. Let's see.

Well, we have at least three different time eras from the Wing Commander Universe with complete fleets (I-II, III-IV, Prophecy-SO) with its own models for FS2... aswell we there are complete Starlancer and some Freelancer Fleets, too.

And many B5, Star Trek and Colony Wars Ships are also available for FSO :lol:

And also there is this BSG stuff.

So i think, that there are unlimited possibilites for own races already :).

And reused fleets were already used for new races in some other mods like Dusk Wars, League of Free Worlds etc. before.

I know that Wing Commander Saga has pretty much all the WCIII ships and a few WCIV ships, and Woolie Wool recently posted a bunch of WCI and WCII-era ships, but this is the first I've heard of a complete set of WCIV ships or any Prophecy ships. I haven't seen any Colony Wars ships, either. Do you have any links handy?
Not yet. However, I've got a load of UIMS and Battura ships at the moment. Most of the UIMS ships are based on Galaxian3, Starblade and Star Ixiom. Some of them from Diaspora/BSG. Some of them are unique. As for the Battura, they are from Star Ixiom. I guess some guy will take note of this and make a post about this on Dragon's Lair Fans forums.

As for FREDding, Missions 1 to 2 are moved to Missions 3 to 4 to make way for easy missions disguised as training missions to help get players to know more about the mod, the universe, etc. There are a lot of work done on Shivan/UIMS hud gauges. Other than that, nothing at the moment, and I'm on track to release this demo by December.

Why are you so bent on trying to cram seemingly every sci-fi property ever into the same continuity? Have you ever considered all these stories are separate for a reason?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter

Probably you should PM Novachen in that case.
I agree, but it may be out of Act 0, it will appear in Act 1 or later. You might be referring to some races other than the Battura, Vishnans, Bosconians and Sadeen.

Anyway, it's three months to Act 0's release date. FREDding is progressing as always.

bryan is it a coincidence that the release date for shattered stars part zero happens to also be the release date of mortal engines the major motion picture
In some way, yes. It is because for two reasons. Firstly, it's set in the same universe as it is trying to merge that into the FS universe, along with the 2004 re-imagined BSG (see Diaspora), and by a lesser extent, the UGSF series (Galaxian3, Starblade, Star Luster, Bosconian and Star Ixiom). Secondly, there's a proposition: If the major Mortal Engines motion picture's sequels happening, Part One will be set centuries after the events of Act Zero/Part Zero. If the Mortal Engines movie sequels don't wind up happening, the first part will be set shortly after this demo, but it depends. Let's see.

Well, we have at least three different time eras from the Wing Commander Universe with complete fleets (I-II, III-IV, Prophecy-SO) with its own models for FS2... aswell we there are complete Starlancer and some Freelancer Fleets, too.

And many B5, Star Trek and Colony Wars Ships are also available for FSO :lol:

And also there is this BSG stuff.

So i think, that there are unlimited possibilites for own races already :).

And reused fleets were already used for new races in some other mods like Dusk Wars, League of Free Worlds etc. before.

I know that Wing Commander Saga has pretty much all the WCIII ships and a few WCIV ships, and Woolie Wool recently posted a bunch of WCI and WCII-era ships, but this is the first I've heard of a complete set of WCIV ships or any Prophecy ships. I haven't seen any Colony Wars ships, either. Do you have any links handy?
Not yet. However, I've got a load of UIMS and Battura ships at the moment. Most of the UIMS ships are based on Galaxian3, Starblade and Star Ixiom. Some of them from Diaspora/BSG. Some of them are unique. As for the Battura, they are from Star Ixiom. I guess some guy will take note of this and make a post about this on Dragon's Lair Fans forums.

As for FREDding, Missions 1 to 2 are moved to Missions 3 to 4 to make way for easy missions disguised as training missions to help get players to know more about the mod, the universe, etc. There are a lot of work done on Shivan/UIMS hud gauges. Other than that, nothing at the moment, and I'm on track to release this demo by December.

Why are you so bent on trying to cram seemingly every sci-fi property ever into the same continuity? Have you ever considered all these stories are separate for a reason?
This is an epilogue to the FreeSpace saga. Blue Planet is merely a logical conclusion to it. And the 2004 re-imagined BSG (of which the Diaspora is based on) was since revealed to have took place more than 150,000 years before the present day. Plus, I wanted to answer some of the questions about the Cylons at the end of the series finale: What happened to the newly liberated Centurions? What happened to the Raiders? How long has the cycle been going? Did an advanced race of humans and/or cylons discover independently evolved humans on other worlds, such as Kobol, before? Could these have been the Lords of Kobol, whose conflict with humans was caused by seeing their own mistakes repeated? Did Lee's decision to stop the construction of what could have been the new City of the Gods stop the cycle?

These are the questions I wanted to answer. The UIMS may be a perfect answer to three of the questions.

As for the other three, they must have something to do with FS1 Alpha 1's, Admiral Aken Bosch's comments and the Blue Planet tech room description of the "Great Darkness".

FS1 Alpha 1 says of an advanced race of humans and/or cylons discover independently evolved humans on other worlds, such as Kobol, before:

Without the Shivans, someone would have discovered the Ancients in their infancy, and eliminated them, just surely as they eliminated countless billions of others.

Similarly, Admiral Bosch says, speaking of a future species (the mod I'm focusing on right now) and a cycle, as well as civilizations:

How close did we come to being a footnote in the history of a future species that would happen upon our ruins ten thousand years from now? Would they indulge in the fiction of their own immortality until the Shivans came for them, and how long had this gone on?

What if there had been countless races, stretching back into infinity and like the nine cities of Troy, each civilization had been built on the rubble of the one that came before, each annihilated by the Shivans.
Due to a longer time scale between BSG and FS, I consider all these stories are separate, chronologically.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
The development version of Shattered Stars now uses the high-resolution main hall UI screens courtesy of m!m and Mjn.Mixael, but not on the demo itself, which is going to be released this December.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

bryan see can i help you

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
bryan see can i help you
Yes. Because it's urgent and I need to meet that 14 December release of this mod/demo. Because of graphical limitations I had.

EDIT: I forgot to post the updates.

Mission branching is present, but I have no details on how it works. FREDding is progressing as usual. Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler:
The Battura will appear around Mission 3, and will appear in some missions, as well as the final missions along with the Sadeen ships. Some UIMS ships did not make it to this demo will appear in Act 1 or subsequent Acts. This is the case for any Bosconian ships and some belonging to the Battura and the Sadeen.

To clarify the setting, which places the mod around the same timeframe as the 2018 film Mortal Engines (not its novel of the same name of which the film was based on), the year is 3,800 or something, hundreds of years after the Second Shivan War and the events of Blue Planet. Whether or not Act 1 will set after Mortal Engines or any of the sequels is unclear. It may be set shortly after the events depicted in the film, or may be some time, perhaps decades or hundreds of years, but I haven't decided on (though I've been leaning towards the former because of the likely chance that sequels to the Mortal Engines film don't wind up happening).

You play as the Shivans. The UIMS ships are playable, and they are another matter. You may play as the flagship Commander.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:27:25 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How can mission branching be present, if you have no idea how it works?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Does the last sentence from the spoiler part mean that you're planning capship command missions?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Does the last sentence from the spoiler part mean that you're planning capship command missions?
Maybe. Yes. (EDIT: But definitely not in Act 0, but in maybe Act 1, or Act 2....)

BTW, I answered woutersmits' question from 23 September on whether he will help me finish this mod so that I could release it on December 14.

EDIT #2:

How can mission branching be present, if you have no idea how it works?

The mission branching appears in the middle of the demo campaign. It might be related to player action or something.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:01:32 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
So its INTENDED but not present.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
So its INTENDED but not present.
You'll see soon enough.

Anyway, I've came up with the language of the UIMS in Shattered Stars. It's based on the vigesimal system on inverted binary forms of text.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

that sounds like a cipher of the latin alphabet, not a language tbh
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
that sounds like a cipher of the latin alphabet, not a language tbh
It's merely a placeholder.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

that's fine, in fact i beseech you not to start inventing a conlang until after you've released a gameplay demo of your mod
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

bryan see i need your new version so i can help stop ignoiging me on skype

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
bryan see i need your new version so i can help stop ignoiging me on skype
Yes. I can.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Can you guys keep it to PM as this topic looks kind of static to the uninvolved.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Can you guys keep it to PM as this topic looks kind of static to the uninvolved.
Yes. Anyone, agree with me.

On the updates from the mod, the UIMS models were updated again, this time they are being upgraded. These models updated are the Twinhook A, B and C types.

Plus, I came up with the story.

EDIT: This is meant to be an epilogue to the entire FreeSpace saga.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:49:45 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template