Author Topic: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within  (Read 189854 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
[WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within
I was told a month ago to finish my Shattered Stars project, and here I am.

I've decided to do a small demo first before committing to a full project.

When I started Shattered Stars some nearly four years ago, I originally thought of the idea of alien races waging an interstellar war, with Earth getting caught in the middle. Before the development commenced, I was playing around with the ideas. Originally, the races, the Galactic Rim Worlds and the Authority are the only warring factions. But I decided to reserve them for my future project, so I changed them to FreeSpace 2's, but one.

I wanted to create a big, stand-alone mod in the vein of Blue Planet and Inferno, without the requirement of FreeSpace 2 Retail. Originally, it was meant to be a mod in the style of Dimensional Eclipse. However, as time goes on, it grew into an original project, and then grew into something I reserved for my future project that doesn't involve FSOpen. Therefore, I retooled the mod and included all Shivan models into it. I felt inspired by Trimuthi, a campaign that allows players to play as the Shivans.

And, the demo, entitled Act 0, takes place thousands of years into the future, following the events of Blue Planet in FS2's timeline and approximately around the time of the events of the Mortal Engines Quartet began, specifically when the first book (which is adapted into a film) began. It is set in the remote regions of our galaxy, taken over by the Shivans long ago. In this demo, you play as the Shivans.

This WIP screenshot shows two Shivan fighters engaging an enemy capital ship. Admittedly, the Shivans were always my favourite, and so does the Unknown Intellectual Mechanised Species (UIMS). You may remember the UIMS as the enemy faction from Galaxian 3, but different somehow and I'm not explaining any further at the moment. There's a chance the Vishnans may appear in the demo, but I have no details.

I plan to release the standalone demo sometime this December.

Update #1: This campaign that comes with this mod is now called: "Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within". It is a demo and constitutes Act 0. Subsequent campaigns will be structured as Acts, much like Blue Planet: War In Heaven, with titles.

Update #2: This is now a development/discussion thread for Shattered Stars. The demo, which is to be released next week, is called the "Teaser Demo."

Update #3: The "Teaser Demo" was a botched release. Act 1 is now underway. See post.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:34:35 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Re: [WIP] SHATTERED STARS ACT 0 (DEMO)
That sounds like a lot of ideas. That can be good, or the exact opposite depending on what you want to do. I'm seeing various universes and campaigns mentioned, but no clear synopsis. And why are there Shivans attacking a Cylon baseship?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I actually do not understand this anymore.

At least for the time i am active here, you told about, that Shattered Stars is a crossover with the Total Recall universe... then you renamed that into something different... but said in the same post, the Shattered Stars is the new name for a Ancient Shivan War reimagining.... and now... this one has nothing to do with any of this.

Well.. good luck then ^^, even i do not think, that this one will be released as Shattered Stars either  :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Also, the fighters on the pic look very much like INFs SF Danta. Unless you did some secret arrangement, Rampage isn't going to be happy.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
That sounds like a lot of ideas. That can be good, or the exact opposite depending on what you want to do. I'm seeing various universes and campaigns mentioned, but no clear synopsis. And why are there Shivans attacking a Cylon baseship?
I think it's simply because of time constraints involved, and the complexities that was resulted in overly ambitious. A synopsis is that it takes place thousands of years after the events of Blue Planet in the FS2 timeline, and the title may hint something to do with the coming cosmic apocalypse that brings an end to everything - a very fitting epilogue to FreeSpace. The screenshot showing the Shivans are attacking a Cylon baseship, but why they attacking is that the Cylons, somehow returned as the UIMS, began attacking the Shivans in some sort of war between the Destroyers.
I actually do not understand this anymore.

At least for the time i am active here, you told about, that Shattered Stars is a crossover with the Total Recall universe... then you renamed that into something different... but said in the same post, the Shattered Stars is the new name for a Ancient Shivan War reimagining.... and now... this one has nothing to do with any of this.

Well.. good luck then ^^, even i do not think, that this one will be released as Shattered Stars either  :D
As I've said, I've been toying out ideas. A crossover with the Total Recall universe is a separate mod named "Total Retaliation". The Ancient Shivan War reimagining now depends on Shattered Stars in the way BP did to FreeSpace 2, technically speaking in terms of mod itself and story speaking because it may have related to its backstory, which explains when the Shivans destroyed the Ancients, the Cylons, now the UIMS, attacked them. And now, it's more than just an indirect crossover of the World of Mortal Engines (including the film). The Galactic Rim Worlds and the Authority are reserved for a future game project that doesn't involve FreeSpace Open.
Also, the fighters on the pic look very much like INFs SF Danta. Unless you did some secret arrangement, Rampage isn't going to be happy.
I liked that way.

As for that some secret arrangement, I plan to credit this to Inferno and contributors in the credits tbl or somewhat do something to make Rampage happy. What should I do? Change them?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

While what Rampage said (forbidding someone to use the ships the team made) is highly unusual, there's no reason why it shouldn't be taken serious.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
While what Rampage said (forbidding someone to use the ships the team made) is highly unusual, there's no reason why it shouldn't be taken serious.
That means what should I do with the ships? Keep them or change them under some new name?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Well, Rampage said:
By the way, Inferno Nostos is out and I plan to work on a mod that crosses over to this ME universe but it's discussed elsewhere, not on this thread.

The Inferno Team promotes the usage of our assets in third party modifications.  However you do not have permission to use any of Inferno’s assets in any future works created by you in perpetuity.

I don't know what exactly caused him to write that, but to me it looks like you have to find some new models. Unless you want to ignore what he said intentional. Of course you can PM him too if you want, but it probably won't end well.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
@Bryan See, please pay attention:

You cannot use the models made by the Inferno team without their permission. Period. It doesn't matter if you rename the model. It doesn't matter if you credit it to them. It doesn't matter if you have no alternatives. It doesn't matter how much you like them. It doesn't matter if you alter them. You ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE MODELS, OR ANYTHING DERIVED FROM THEM in your mod.

Rampage has made it absolutely clear that you do not have permission to use these models, and that's that.

Find. Other. Models.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:08:24 pm by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

That being said, I'm not sure when I look at my list whether it's even possible (or atleast very had) to get a fleet of Shivan ships not somehow associated with INF... :nervous:

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Irrelevant.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Was just wondering. :p INF is nearly holding a Shivan ship monopole :lol:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Was just wondering. :p INF is nearly holding a Shivan ship monopole :lol:
This is why I need to break this.

That being said, I'm not sure when I look at my list whether it's even possible (or atleast very had) to get a fleet of Shivan ships not somehow associated with INF... :nervous:
Like Shivan ships from ED asset dump. SSD Bhaal, SCv Amaros, SB Kahlan, SB Kasdeya, SF Ifrit, SD Vassago,...

Nyctaeus' ships like SC Raguel (I started it though), SCv Scylla and SSD Bhaal.

SC Lamia? SC Rictus? SCv Bryn?

And lastly, mine? SDn Sariel? And a lot in my pipeline.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

But most small ships (including the Kahlan) are indeed from INF. Of course you can make (or just finish) your own ones, but it would take even longer. Unless you're only looking for capships of course.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
But most small ships (including the Kahlan) are indeed from INF. Of course you can make (or just finish) your own ones, but it would take even longer. Unless you're only looking for capships of course.
I take that word. But my SC Raguel is made with Nyctaeus. SSD Bhaal, and SCv Amaros is from Earth Defense, not INF (I'm sure there are some from INF, e.g. Kahlan and Kasdeya). SD Vassago from ASW.

My own ones, the SDn Sariel and the remake of the SJ Amritaya, are in-development, but I know would take even longer. I'm also looking for capships. Kismat and SSD Vidyadhar from INF, can be used?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

where's the demo
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Kismat and SSD Vidyadhar are as you said from INF, therefore nope.

The Amritaya-design is also from INF, but if you make a HTL version you can use it of course.

bryan on behalf of the mortal engines wiki admins can you please stop editing your fanfic into articles. the wiki is for the mortal engines books as written by philip reeve, not the Bryan See Literary Universe
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Kismat and SSD Vidyadhar are as you said from INF, therefore nope.

The Amritaya-design is also from INF, but if you make a HTL version you can use it of course.
What of SC Raguel? I made that model with Nyctaeus in 2014 and released in 2016.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

What authority does Rampage actually have to deny Bryan the use of Inferno models? Did he, personally, actually make any of the ones Bryan is using? If not then it's none of his business frankly.