Author Topic: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 84343 times)

Offline Darius

Re: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)
Might be the prompt box script for the checkpoint system but never had any issues with it in the past. No other lua scripts that play around with the mouse controls

@Praseodym: the scripting stuff has been packed into a VP now what should fix the LUA errors on Discord, just try again with 1.0.3.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I tried mission 9 in single missions and the same issue manifested there. In the end I uninstalled and reinstalled, but now I got some errors. These errors occur upon starting the mission (commit button).

Error 1, occurred 3 times in a row

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "String: return proBoxValue()"]:1: attempt to call global 'proBoxValue' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'proBoxValue'
[string "String: return proBoxValue()"]:1: in main chunk

Error 2

Error: Lua SEXP called without a valid action function! A script probably failed to set the action for some reason.
File: LuaSEXP.cpp
Line: 253

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 147 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20190514_69ebdd0_x64_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes

Error 3

LUA ERROR: [string "String: saveexist()"]:1: attempt to call global 'saveexist' (a nil value)

ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'saveexist'
[string "String: saveexist()"]:1: in main chunk

After that the first error repeats a few more times, and then it sounds like the mission begins. However the errors persist.

Also, I don't know if this is useless information, but before I uninstalled/reinstalled I was able to turn my craft with the numpad keys.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:04:18 pm by Colt »

Still the same error. Other ideas?

Edit: New log attached

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:08:38 pm by praseodym »

@Darius: Here's something I had on my HD, can be used to display the faction logos in the techroom instead of blank entries. Requires $Closeup_pos: 0.0, 1.0, -23. That being said, many of the ships there seem to have suboptimal offsets.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
This is very cool, the capships look amazing :yes:
If I understand the credits correctly, they were all made by CGpitbull and you converted them for FS2open usage?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Darius

Yes. Kitbashed some of the base models with modular pieces for aesthetics and had to generate basic lods and debris but a lot of the work was conversion.

I encountered an error. After (I think) the first ingame cutscene (the one where a ship jumps in next to a station and boards it) i got this

LUA ERROR: [string "String: VS2:L('m1_vn')"]:1: attempt to index global 'VS2' (a nil value)

ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "String: VS2:L('m1_vn')"]:1: in main chunk

When I tried to force the game to continue, I was sitting in a spinning fighter in space without background, just a star, and all I could do was shoot.
I am using Knossos on a Windows 7 PC.
Is there a solution to this problem?

Was extremly hyped for this and now I am somewhat daunted that it does not work. :blah:

Thanks in advance.

Offline Darius

I put the scripts in a vp to help the mac people with parsing orders but there's an ongoing error with uploading vp packages to knossos from my end. I'll update the files in a few hours, everything should be working by then.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Anybody know where exactly Music_Fed_Battle3 came from?  Credits are a little vague.

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
Anybody know where exactly Music_Fed_Battle3 came from?  Credits are a little vague.

its Faceless Soldier from ace combat 7 at 125% speed
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline AdDur

After end of first in-game cutscene i face something like that:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2r44s4o.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm excited to play this! It deserves a full day's attention so I haven't been as prompt as I should be, but after testing out an early version I'm REALLY excited.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I have enjoyed playing Solaris.

The worldbuilding is great, I quite like this setting that was presented to the player, and you can relate to the world and characters you interact with, in a certain way. Shouldn't say too much, so I guess I'm immersed in it? Felt like being Germany and Britain before Churchill declared war.

---------------

The main course of the game - ships: Big, bulky, human designs, ARMORED LOOKING, BLACK COLORED! They look imposing, feel imposing and shoot imposing. Ship to ship combat is slow and methodical, and the player must play an active part in the bigger battle so their friendly fleet survives, no BoEs here. You need to learn the blind approaches to the enemy ships well or you're shredded, then your friendly ship will. Big ships are armed with big cannons with big impacts. They're gonna mess up your friendly fleet bad and the FX look amazing. The turrets on each ship too, they're so bloody beautiful. Almost makes you wanna adore it while you're frantically trying to destroy it. But what's more important are anti-ship missiles that they also launch...

They're the big thing about this TC, and particular attention has been placed on their importance. Huge ass missile flares and super long trails really hammers in how amazing anti-ship missile launches are and the threat they pose to your friends, words do not suffice. The ASMs launched here have a powerful visual impact and are done with a purpose...it actually MATTERS when ASMs are launched. Nothing like teeny tiny torpedoes or fusion mortars in FS where they're so underwhelming with small trails and stuff, being launched by the dozens or hundreds. I can't go back to boring small tiny missile launches in ship to ship combat anymore!

Big things, when killed...they don't explode into two pieces like FS. They leave a big hulk of themselves...no idea how they did this, I cannot state how much I love this. It really adds into the atmosphere of the mission/TC and feel that something big just got destroyed and the remnants are there - not big, empty space or weird pieces of large debris flying off to god knows where. I hope this gets used much more by the community. Love this design decision. It made the atmosphere of one mission with a lot of hulks very appreciable.

---------------

The flight model is...hmm. It's fast and I love it, but you have to get a good feel of how 'drifty' it is or you're gonna be a space rock bouncing off someone's armor plating. But everyone else is fast and slick, drifty and maneuverable too...so there is no room for error in this total conversion. The TTK for the player is measured in less than five seconds. If you get into fights without a plan, expect to see the restart screen often (I know I did!).

------------------

My playstyle...I played on maximum difficulty and barely killed enemy strikecraft. I'm a terrible pilot and this flight model is punishing, but as long as I didn't die...right? I took the boring but pragmatic approach to combat in this TC - sit back, let the fury AI rip themselves apart and hide behind rocks/capships. I'm certain that I have less than ten kills, doing what I did in BP Act 3...just don't fight the fight that AIs rule supreme in. Why do I even play on hard mode? :P

Couple of LACs, maybe one or two straight-up dogfight kills and the rest were probably just me snagging stragglers. I admit I like watching other people kill stuff, so I have that going for me.  The missions say you'd have autoaim, with less autoaiming as difficulty goes up. I suppose I had no autoaim...how did I even hit anything!? Watching long bursts of CIWS fire just tear the enemy apart and shoot down ASMs is so beautiful. I must sit back some more and enjoy the show instead of fighting...

Hey, this TC is great. Play it.

Potential bugs below...?
Spoiler:
The mission where you stumble on Osiris getting chased? I could never accomplish secondary objective Veritas because she couldn't get killed. My method was stealthing over to the engines and knocking them out, then CIWS and weapons. She is probably guardianed at 18% HP, so she would never die, Osiris getting close would never hit her with ASMs due to their turn rate and the mission will fail when Longview gets pummeled by Vindicator's kinetics after a while because Osiris doesn't get triggered to attacking Vindicator and player never gets orders to hit the kinetic batteries.

Do hulks have hitboxes? I tried hiding behind some in that wreckage mission but still got killed by those damn Hunters. Maybe I just suck at hiding.

Offline emark4

Initial impressions are me really liking the concept, but I've had some frustrations in the gameplay department

I like mods that go down the Diaspora route. Cockpits, ballistics, high velocity, high manoeuvrability.

Cockpits you say?

On 1440P resolutions, the "cloaking" box doesn't play nice and overlaps with the primary weapons box.
Alt+Z doesn't seem to register properly when trying to press it, is there no single button available?

I finished it, incidentally. Should probably have mentioned that :P

It seems like a solid base to build on, but I also found it somewhat barebones. Some of that I've detailed above and some of that is down to this being early days for a TC as well as being a one man project. But a lot of it is also design choice: There is almost no weapon switching nor are there any missiles. With enemy fighters dying very quickly, you never really have a dilemma between engaging capships and preventing fighters from getting on your tail. Without missiles, you never have to worry about missile deflection. CIWS dies quickly but doesn't kill you quickly, and as such never manage to be a threat similar to those pesky AAA beams that keep you on your toes in FS2 vanilla.The mission quality and variety is, in my opinion, simply not as good as other TCs like Diaspora and Wings of Dawn or your previous work or even FS2 vanilla. A bomber mission would have helped.

On the other hand, I like the setting. I like guns heavy and shieldless, Battlestar Galactica style, as an aesthetic. I like how the plot revolves around terrible humans being terrible humans. I like how capships don't just sit around waiting to be blown up. I like how nuclear missiles are implied to be a very big deal. As a setting it works.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Just started it up with the new update, and no more errors! Looking forward to finishing it  :nod:

(oh, about that mouse bug? yeah apparently I somehow turned off mouse movements in options, heh... :banghead:)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Wow! I don't know how or where to start, so here goes.

That was a fun campaign. Story was great, and I look forward to the next part. Cockpit's I assume are hard to model, given the scarcity of them in other campaigns, so it was a real treat to have them here. Dogfights and battles were heart-pounding for me (ran out of CM's in one fight and barely got out of it alive). Intense fights aside, I couldn't help but chuckle at myself every time I bounced into an enemy ship while getting close, thinking that I'd totally not crash into them  :lol:. I played this on medium difficulty, and after some trial-and-error I eventually found ways to overcome the opposition (missions 8 and 9 were particularly tough). Taking out a large warship like a cruisers' engines and getting them torn apart before they can escape is so satisfying. There were some cases however where disarming warships was excruciatingly hard even with wingmates, but eventually I found some blind spots within the frames of warships from which I could do my business largely unharnessed.

That's about it. There are a few bugs I came across, so I'll list them down below. I look forward to the next part of Solaris!

Spoiler:
Similar to what Destiny encountered with the Veritas' engines being destroy-able thus making the mission impossible to move on, and the debris field in Angels Fall being unable to provide even a little bit of cover.

Mission 7 - Minor bug - some of the mountains had no collision.

Mission 9 - Unfortunately I had to skip this mission. Maybe I'm bad, but the most I could keep the Osiris was at 23% before the order to Rendezvous was given. The Osiris said they were jumping out after 30 seconds, but they didn't. I was unable to get to the rendezvous in time because I'm about half-way there, the Osiris would go down thus failing the mission.

Mission 10 - Defiant refused to follow Athena after restarting from checkpoint.

Offline Darius

Thanks for letting me know about the Veritas bug. I'll fix that up for the next update.

Spoiler:
The Merlin doesn't follow the Athena into battle. She's a prowler, and doesn't even carry any conventional weaponry.

I've heard feedback from a couple of FreeSpace veterans about the 'bare-bones' nature of the mod which is a fair assessment. Think of this first release as a proof of concept to make sure the mechanics and flight model make for engrossing gameplay (seeing as this feels so different to the FreeSpace 2 we know - one advantage Blue Planet had at its first release). There would definitely be more variety and material if I had sat on it for another year or so but it was useful to get this out first for people to try out.