Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613930 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
One could always download Tiberian Sun. I have yet to finish playing that one, actually, but in all honesty I think it's an easier game to play. Starcraft and Warcraft were always high-stress games where failure to do something at just the right second could lead to horrible death. C&C moves at a much more reasonable pace in my opinion.

Stay away from Company of Heroes... that game is horrible when it comes to that   :ick:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
One could always download Tiberian Sun. I have yet to finish playing that one, actually, but in all honesty I think it's an easier game to play. Starcraft and Warcraft were always high-stress games where failure to do something at just the right second could lead to horrible death. C&C moves at a much more reasonable pace in my opinion.

Oh boy are you wrong. C&C was rife with blink-and-you-lose tactics.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Age of Empires II (or its Star Wars reskin, Galactic Battlegrounds) seemed to provide a nice entry into the genre for me back in the day.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Probably the friendlist RTS' to newcomers would be Command and Conquer Gold, Red Alert, Warcraft II.  All three have customizeable difficulty settings.

Homeworld and 2, C&C2/3/RA2, Company of Heroes, Starcraft, and a variety of the other big RTS games are really not friendly to people new to the genre.  Especially Starcraft.  The lack of a difficulty modifier in that game is brutal if you don't catch on quickly.

I learned how to effectively play RTS games by playing the absolute crap out of Warcraft 2 and Red Alert.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
MWO

Had a great series of games tonight and closed out the basic tree for my HBK-4SP.  After the last configuration round I went with it is proving a truly nasty machine.  Next up is grinding out the XP for the HBK-4G(F), it has a brand new load out I'm stoked to try and once it's vetted I can start the elite tree for my trio of Hunchies.  After that I'll take a look at what I want to play with next.  Possibly the Centurions, but if the Highlanders are out I might opt to try the assault chassis.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR

Stay away from Company of Heroes... that game is horrible when it comes to that   :ick:
Even though it could be frustrating at times, I had fun. :P

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Just finished Bioshock Infinite.

Great game, good writing, very pretty.

Spoiler:
But what the **** is with that ending, Irrational?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Just finished Bioshock Infinite.

Great game, good writing, very pretty.

Spoiler:
But what the **** is with that ending, Irrational?

That didn't take you long
"No"

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Sorta blazed through it--still took me 12 hours or so, but school's on break, so I had time.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

Oh boy are you wrong. C&C was rife with blink-and-you-lose tactics.

Hmmm. I think that's an over-extension of my statement. When I think of SC, I think of having to micromanage every single aspect (especially when playing as Terrans). My views are also skewed from playing comp-stomp missions via multi-player BroodWar, in which anything less than fever-pitched timing would lead to great disaster.

In retrospect, I found that C&C didn't require as much micromanagement and felt much better pace-wise than the Blizzard games.

But then, I've not bothered to play either of those for a while now.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I've only played through tiberean sun once, and that was a good while ago, but my impressions on C&C in general are that it's usually a fairly relaxed pace that allows the player to use his preferred general tactic and complete the mission in his own time, but there is often a critical segment (most commonly at the beginning but not always) that can get you steamrolled if you're not prepared for it or react quickly and precisely.

as for myself, i just finished STALKER Call of Pripyat.  once again i find myself disagreeing with what seems to be the general consensus of the gaming community.  i thought that this was the weakest of the series.  it was enjoyable, sure, and the game mechanics were ironed out pretty well, but there just wasn't much there.  the story was the least interesting of all of them.  it felt more like a cluster of side missions that were kinda shoehorned into a main plot.  only three areas with not a whole lot of interesting in them, especially pripyat.  i thought this is where the game would finally take off and get out of what felt like the intro/gather equipment phase and actually develop the plot, discovery, and throw in an actual well-defined adversary.  but when i got there it was just a few more "side mission" plot missions, some hints at major reveals that were never explored, and..... wait, we're leaving?  that's the ending?  :wtf:

according to steam i put 58 hours into it, but i don't think i believe that.  i must have spent WAY more time trolling around for artifacts than i realized.  or chasing down phantom leads that seemed to indicate there was much to be explored/discovered but ended up going nowhere.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Finished Deus Ex. Good times.

Spoiler:
Naturally, I had to try all three endings.

I really should've shut down the UCs on the ground floor rather than let the floor be run over with greasels and mega-karkians, but well I guess it made things more interesting. EDIT: Certainly made Speed Enhancement that much more useful! ;)

Overall, the AI wasn't quite as smart as I'd hoped. For example, coming across the bodies of their dead comrades didn't seem to make them the least bit suspicious that something might be amiss. Compare with, say, Thief, where you actually do have to hide your victims' bodies, should you stoop so low as to use force. Reminds me that I need to finish playing Thief.

Next up: probably BioShock Infinite, when I get around to it. Strange that no one's started a thread on it yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:31:27 am by jg18 »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I actually started BioShock Infinite last night.  I haven't really gotten into the meat of it but so far the environment and art has been top notch.  I do need to fiddle with my mouse settings though, its so sensitive my view point moves around like I'm having fits.  In addition I'm still chipping away at leveling my HBK-4G(F).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also playing Bioshock Infinite. I have seldom seen a game that is as good as that one at building a consistent and engaging world.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Next up: probably BioShock Infinite, when I get around to it. Strange that no one's started a thread on it yet.
Everyone is posting here nowadays.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Everyone is posting here nowadays.
There are tons of recent threads in Gaming Discussion about individual games.

Well, I finally obtained a copy of Bioshock Infinite... but now I don't have a system to play it on. By the weekend I'll be able to play it.

In the meantime: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. Yep, sequel to Luigi's Mansion. On the 3DS. Should be fun.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I've been thinking about getting a 3ds, but I'm very frugal and having a hard time convincing myself to buy one for all of about 2 games (make that three now) that I know I'd want for it.

I need ya'lls help deciding what to play now.  Untouched from my steam library:
ARMA II (not completely untouched, I just ragequit after about 5 minutes because of how horrendous a first impression it made)
Borderlands 2
FEAR 3
Fallout: New Vegas
 - oh yeah, I have the original fallout from the free GOG offer.  I didn't make it very far.  It's not really quite my cup of tea to begin with, and I also didn't know any better and started with the default character.
Nexus (another essentially ragequit)
SW:KOTOR
the X series

I also installed planetside 2, but have yet to actually play it.  When I tried to right after installing, the servers were down or my account hadn't activated or something and I couldn't log in.

Or I suppose I could go through the ever growing list of FSO campaigns I haven't played yet.  I've also been kinda thinking about seeing if there's any top quality mods for Crysis (one).  I've never really ventured into the modding scene outside of here other than the occasional user-made stability patches or texture upgrades for older games.  I'm kinda curious.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sidenote about Bioshock Infinite... I apparently knew of a plot twist without having to play the game, more than a year before it's release
Ruined it for a few people unintentionally... thought it common knowledge

Spoiler:
We were talking about the game when I asked "Isn't he supposed to be the father or something?" as a while back, I recall an instance where the reason the character was there was because he was looking for his daughter. I naturally assumed that the Elizabeth character, was the daughter he was looking for. They got all up in arms against me as they didn't know. I forgot the precise instance I heard about this, but it was well over a year ago
"No"

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
MWO
Double XP weekend, time to lvl up my HBK-4s.