Author Topic: Hey guys..  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's actually not that hard to lower the polycount on a model, once one gets past the realization that you are going to lose some detail. It's just a matter of finding out what detail can afford to be lost first.

Heck, if that MonCal model is in a .MAX file, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at lowering the polycount. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
And couldnt you use the high poly models for cbanims and what not?
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Sheepy
And couldnt you use the high poly models for cbanims and what not?

Ooh, that's a great idea! Provide some basic generic cbanims for all the ships in the MOD. One would be a general flyby of a capital ship (with the requisite fighters zooming by in the foreground), and another could be a capital ship zipping in from hyperspace and launching fighter wings. They wouldn't need to be big, nor terrribly varied between them - just swap out the main ship, mess with the camera paths a bit, and render a completely different scene.

I like this idea. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
btw iirc from what challenger said, haegemonia uses an autolod system
actually I have no idea about how a game engine can modify a mesh in order to generate lods without wasting too resources, but this explain why it is possible to put such hi pcount ships in game (althought I consider them a bit inefficent)
Btw you can put those model (at least the models of small ships) in fs2 too, just work with lods: put the hipoly mesh as lod0 with a very close visible range (so you see it only in external view or flying very close) and make normal lods for all the other situations. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm going to do it:)

more or less it's an AUTO LOD. from what I heard from the guys of Digital Reality, the game engine checks which models are in the tech tree and loads all of them, processing them to some kind of LOD mesh (you can define your own LOD's as well, thats not the problem). Planets, map objects etc are always loaded, no matter what.

@Sandwich: good luck then, finding all the stray vertices and lowering the detail.. ;)
cya Challenger
if you want a Dominion-exterminator - you've got him
n00b pilot. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Challenger
@Sandwich: good luck then, finding all the stray vertices and lowering the detail.. ;)

Linky? ;)

no linky. just hand-to-hand deal ;)
cya Challenger
if you want a Dominion-exterminator - you've got him
n00b pilot. :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
just hand-to-staff, right? :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
:nervous: *thinks he missed something*
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Damn now I feel like an idiot!
I totally forgot about tech room animations, I deleted a crap ton of high ploy models cause I figured I'd never get to use them, so why tie up the space? They would have ben perfect for non combat stuff! Oh well...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
How do you want to give a different ship model in the tech room that the game is using? An FS_open stuff?
Or a table doubling?

:doubt:

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
As far as i know you cant, all i meant about the high poly models was for animations and stuff, you cant use them for much else
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
ohhh ... animations = cutscenes?
forgotten about them. :)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
well... polys aren't the problem anymore...

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
so will we use this MC80 as our own?
if yes, give the Austrian(not Australian ;)) guy an avatar!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
avatar detection system isn't working for Sw yet... :hopping:

AHTW

Are you gonna use Fs2_open for this MOD? The ISD would look great with shine maps.
Erinyes+(Kayser x 8)=Death

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It is up to Mr. Project Leaders, like KARMA, GE and Black Wolf.
If you ask me, surely.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
i belive we are using the surface shield idea from the person who coded their own tree...

AHTW