Author Topic: PSP planet  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
After seeing Thunder's render with a custom planet in the background I decided to take a shot at painting a planet using PSP.

I'm overall pretty happy with how it came out. The next test will be doing up clouds and an atmosphere.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Does it have seas?

I was about to ask about atmosphere and cloud-deck, but you already mentioned those.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
I'm not quite far enough with my cloud and sea experiments to show anything.

Here's a test of using the drop shadow effect for a lunarcell like atmosphere glow. This is just a simple one-color one, not using any gradiants for dust in the atmosphere.

I used tree bark textures to get a Europa like look.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
how would you make a planet by drawing it in PSP?
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel

How were these made? First I create an image with two layers. On the second layer I create a black sphere. I use the wand tool to make a mask around it, then invert the mask so the sphere is selected. (the way airbrush works in PSP I need to have a black sphere selected, just a blank mask won't work well)

I then pick a color and use the airbrush, it's set on the lighten blend mode. I then use the brush to make the overall day/night outline of the planet.

To add a texture to the planet, I use the brush with a texture setting and a different RGB color. (I use the HSL settings to tweak the color, generally increments of 10, 20 or 30 when a drastic color or lighting difference is wanted) Sometimes I set the brush to darken if an area is too bright and I need some contrast.

The trick is using good textures, colors that look good together, and just some imagination. I try to have dark and light areas and use organic textures such as tree bark. (It might be hard to believe that all of these were made form tree textures, but it's true, I need to experiment with leaves now too though...)

To add some depth, I then emboss the image and then play with the contrast and using highlight/midtone/shadow I lower the midtone to almost nothing. The embossed image is on a layer, and I tweak the transparency until it has a good bump map type look.

I merge the layers and use h/m/s to lower the shadow so that the night side is black, and I either paint more with the brush and emboss again or if it looks good I then move to "post production."

For post production I use the spherize (set as a sphere or ellipse, whatever distorts less) command to make the planet look round, and then sharpen the inner section of the planet, but not the edges.

Then I tweak the contrast and color settings until it looks good. The last step I take is then shrinking the image 50 percent. (I start with a 1024x1024 image so I can have a 512x512 or 256x256 final planet)

Something I did for image six as an experiment was another "bump map layer" where I split the image up, and reassembled it like a jigsaw puzzle and then embossed it. The end result created some nice canyons but I then made the layer very subtle as it didn't quite work with that planet. It's a good effect for planets that need Valles Marenies(sp?) type canyons or to have a look similar to Uranus' moon Titania.

My experiments with cloud layers and water haven't gone well yet, but I'm still playing with it. I think for the moment though I'm going to try to master making non-terrestrial planets ;)

So far, I really haven't had a lot of control over how the planets come out. They sort of evolve on their own. The only two that came out as I intended were the Europa/ice and the last Venusian/volcanic type. The third image (going from top to bottom) was at first going to be a lush Earth like one, but it wound up being quite the opposite :p

As I messaged Sandwich, when I've done a few more planets I'll convert them to .pcx and submit them to HLP as a planet pack. I thought about BWO use, but they don't match the art style of Dark's planets.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 02:23:45 am by 72 »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Still an amazingly high quality, :yes:

Which gives me an idea... lol

Do you think it'd be possible to make this in PSP using the same techniques?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 08:14:29 am by 273 »
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hmm, that doesn't look pixelated at all...
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Nope, I did a good job making it high res.  I love the anuket. :D

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h

Hrmm... I can do Vasudan ship textures using a tile effect (to get the 3d "scales) and then an airbrush over it to get the textures ontop of the base look.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*can't wait to see what this yields...*

We need more real vasudan textures... :nod:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
can you do that grey plateing texture on the Diemos, or the brown texture from the Hecate, or the varius textures from the orion and arcadia, or fighters, or, or, all of them, do all of them
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

:D :D

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Um... not what I meant...

Or maybe it is *having been ICQ'ed*

Ok... well, I like the more detailed anuket like ones
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 05:57:40 pm by 273 »

Offline Solatar

Nope, I did a good job making it high res.  I love the anuket. :D

Just go ahead and make some 1024*1024 pixel textures for everything.:D  We can make them smaller with Irfanview.:D

j/k

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I use them for renders, so that everything looks better...

Certainly not in game...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
certanly yes in game!!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Solatar

I use them for renders, so that everything looks better...

Certainly not in game...

In game they would look awesome.:D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I use them in game, but it makes missions take real long to load...

It's not really practical for in game, since noone stares at the anuket like I do...

Offline Solatar

Would it be possible for you to release what you have, so we can see for ourselves?:D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
maybe someday. can't today... not enough time...