Author Topic: WIP website (large image)  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
WIP website (large image)

Since websites have been submitted here as art before, here's a site (as well as its graphics) that I'm making for a fantasy setting. The idea is to have a bit of a steampunk printing press feel, while still looking more archaic then that. (without resorting to ye olde engrish)

The final site will be designed so that the people doing news posts, etc. who have zero HTML experience can update their site easily via news updating forms, etc.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Ikonboard!? :shaking: :nervous: :shaking:
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I really like that, it sure does stand out. :) Bonus marks for using Lorem ipsum to test the text rendering. ;)

Here's a personal suggestion: because the colour theme of the site (for the text, particularly) is quite uniform, would it be worth separating the hyperlinks with a different type of font facing or style - perhaps bold small caps? That would help them to stand out and I think may look nicer. Worth trying, at least. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Latin??
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yep, Latin. Find the explanation here.

http://www.lipsum.com/
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
That's certainly striking. It doesn't look like a website to me, and yet, it retains a good structure and easy to scan layout. Functional AND artistic.

High marks, sir!
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

i'd like to see the source of that......

i've been trying to get this: http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/fscz/ to work on something else then IE. i failed horribly. the underlying system is one tiling background page with an iFrame on it, for the window, and in that iFrame, a page with the interface image, and 3 more iFrames, each linking to a page with a tiling background and CSS font system.

somehow, Mozilla hates the iFrames, and refuses to read the CSS properly. and when i include the CSS in the HTML, i fork the page for both IE and mo.

anyway, nice page, i always like stuff with simple colour schemes. it might be nicer if you switched the black into white and viceversa, though.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Nah, if he did that, it would lose a lot of the flair. Right now it doesn't look like a website. It looks like parchment with text printed on it. If you reverse the colors, it'll look like every white-on-black website on the planet (my old one included)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
definately original..but i would recommend a world map on the behind of the content box too :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Thanks for the comments.

I'm thinking of ways to tweak it more to look like an old newspaper and of course ways of denoting links and such better.

Probably this would involve tweaking the top image(s) a bit, the borders, etc. I do like Steak's idea of capitalizing the links, though that might be confusing with the way the titles are done. I'll play around to see what works.

Also, the final forum won't be Ikonboard, it currently is one but we're using a new, better, forum to go along with the site.

On the using the world map as a background- I thought about it, but a tiling world map (or non-moving one) doesn't quite go with the newspaper look.

If anyone had images of very early (pre-photography) news papers that'd be great, as those could give some good inspiration on tweaking the design more.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Nice Design :yes:

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
kasperl have you tried just using css for the complete site instead of frames, then it should work for any browser v4 and above :D

well, it just became mozilla compatible thanks to Arc, but there was something wrong with putting it all in one file, on or two things just wouldn't work, IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline JarC

Kasperl, here's a site where you might find some tips and a template

http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 02:55:49 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ace, that site layout can be replicated pretty much perfectly with CSS - I can run up a quick skeleton mock-up for you if you'd like. :)

Oh, and for display of numbers and other side sections, I'd highly recommend use of the Georgia font - it's cool and archaic-looking. Look:

June 15th, 2004 12:55 PM
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Originally posted by Sandwich
Ace, that site layout can be replicated pretty much perfectly with CSS - I can run up a quick skeleton mock-up for you if you'd like. :)

Oh, and for display of numbers and other side sections, I'd highly recommend use of the Georgia font - it's cool and archaic-looking. Look:

June 15th, 2004 12:55 PM

I need to see if the server this will be on supports CSS, if it does I'll send a PM over if you have the time to do a mock-up.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Ace

I need to see if the server this will be on supports CSS, if it does I'll send a PM over if you have the time to do a mock-up.

CSS isn't server-side - there's no such thing as "server support" for CSS. It's all in the client. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Ahh well stupid me :)

If you have the time then, that'd be great.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Disclaimer: I've only been able to test this in IE6 and Mozilla 1.4. :) If you could get me the image you used for a background, as well as the source files for the header stuff, I'd be able to optimize the site alot more. :)

http://www.brainzipper.com/fs2/choranthil/index.html

Sandwich, you might want to try to have the side "cells" run the same length as the center, like in the screenie at the top of this thread.