Author Topic: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)  (Read 38763 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Re: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)
Moloch is definetly missing quite a few textures, I mean several parts of its hull are pitch-black. You can see it clearly in the picture above....

Otherwise, job Spectacularly well done.....
 :yes:

Auctully, thats ment to be like that. ;) The black really sets off the other textures, and really gives it a dark look.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline starfox

Oh, my mistake then.... :)
Seems I got too used to the retail Moloch, thanks for pointing that out....
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Raptor

Nice work. 'Bout time someone HTL'ed the Shivan warships (and finished them!)

But... those red pipes (the minertile2a ones) aft of the bow... why are they asymetricial?  To me that just looks... wrong.

To me, if you're going to do asymertry, the whole thing needs to be so, not a few add ons...  For me, those pipes look a little 'tacked on' to make the ship asymetrical...

It's no bigge, and I'm not denying the great work you've done, it's a little thing that bugs me...
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Quote from: WeatherOp
Auctully, thats ment to be like that. ;) The black really sets off the other textures, and really gives it a dark look.
Hmm, I'd tend to disagree a bit there. A dark texture would certainly fit there, but solid black just looks like the model has missing or problematic textures - which is what I'd also assumed from all the previous pics. I mean, light just doesn't do that, and such solid black is not present on any other Shivan ships I'm aware of.

That said, it's a pretty good HTL job (aside from the lazy debris and lack of a nice and pretty UV map! :p ). Well done. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline WeatherOp

Quote from: WeatherOp
Hmm, I'd tend to disagree a bit there. A dark texture would certainly fit there, but solid black just looks like the model has missing or problematic textures - which is what I'd also assumed from all the previous pics. I mean, light just doesn't do that, and such solid black is not present on any other Shivan ships I'm aware of.

That said, it's a pretty good HTL job (aside from the lazy debris and lack of a nice and pretty UV map! :p ). Well done. :)

What I kind of wanted to do was to give the black a shine, kind of like black skin. So, I may tweak around with the textures themselves and seee how that would look.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

I Don't Like The Black

change it
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline WeatherOp

I Don't Like The Black

change it

Sorry dude, it's out of my hands and released, so if anyone wants to retexture it thay can go ahead. But, I'm tired of HTL modeling. :D

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I'm turned on. :nervous:

Woot for my fave FS ship which has now been HTL'd! *hugs all round*

[edit]

Although I do get a crap load of slowdown when looking at it, way more than any other HTL ships. T_T

[edit]

Upgraded my video card this morning (128 meg X300 to 256 meg X850 XT) and even though I was getting 15 fps last night while looking at it, it's shot up to the big 120 now. Dayumn this is a good video card.
But then again, so is the X300. I personally think a performance drop like that would be something to look into.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:35:21 am by Ferret »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There's really no reason it would cause a framerate drop except one: it's got at least two (maybe more) animated textures if you're using mv_adveffects.vp.  The old Moloch would have been the same way. It's polycount and subsystem counts are not through the roof to any grand extent, only one additional map, and actually fewer engine glows.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:12:52 pm by StratComm »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I can assure you that the old Moloch never did that, nor did any ship, and I always have mp_adveffects.vp in it.
Oh well it's no problem now ethier way, just very bizarre that it would do that.

Offline WeatherOp

Hey, can someone try something for me, shinemap the black part on the CorvStile4A map please. :)

Offline Porthos

• www.clan-zt.com
Noob Question time:

Where do you put .pof's    Models folder?
Holy walleye, Batman!!!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Bingo.

Offline Turambar

is anyone gonna fix the black textures or am i gonna hafta do it, cause the model is too cool to let that happen to it
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline WeatherOp

Not me, I'm not touchin the model again. :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I don't see what's wrong with them personally.  They look like a black texture.  They don't look like a missing texture, because you can't see things through them.  And it would have to be fixed on the model, as the UV space those things occupy is infintismal.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turambar

h8 h8 h8 h8 h8

i guess im not a fan of straight black texturing then  :( [pout]

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
If properly shinemapped (and not just a darned monochrome version of the base map!) even a plain dark diffuse map can do wonders.....especially a plain black diffuse map.
The ships could be truly black, with the shinemap giving the ship it's mechanic-organic memance as the light cascades over its irradiant surface.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan