Author Topic: FS2_O Explosion editing Need help,  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Nutsy

FS2_O Explosion editing Need help,
Well I like what you guys are doing with freespace... In fact im very excited. I loved this game the first time round.

But I would like to improve on the explosions.

I already know how to replace the textures but I wish to add more explosions to the partical setup. Making the explosions more detailed.

The thing is i dont know how to. Can some one tell me how to edit the explosion particle systems?

Are they scripts? or is there an editing program for the explosions?

Anyway help would be apreshiated.

Im also happy to release the pack once its finished.

Nutsy

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: FS2_O Explosion editing Need help,
The explosions in Freespace are animation files that are played when things go boom or take a hit. I think there are four or five different kinds of them, two for normal fighter/capship explosions, the rest for missile and beam hits. You can replace these animations if you like, but adding more would propably require code changes and would be waste of memory anyway IMO. Not sure if you can increase the amount of particles spewed, but I doubt it would look that great.

Anyway, to get you started, grab at least vpview and aniview from this link: http://www.descent-network.com/descman/

Vpview allows you to view and extract the data from the vp files in your main FS2 directory. Aniview plays the ani files which Freespace uses for all animations, including explosions. If I remember right, explosions are stored inside sparky.vp in the effects folder, exp04.ani or somesuch. Hope this helps :)

Btw, you from scifi-meshes? Glad you found you way here :)

Offline Nutsy

Yeah im from Scifimeshes

And yeah the textures im sorted on... I have teh tools for that. But the scripts and knowing what to edit is what i want to know.

Any idea?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Well the explosions are handled in table files (weapon_expl.tbl and fireball.tbl I think, in root_fs2.vp) and can be changed there.  That should be all you need to change as far as I know.  I think the big ship/bomb shockwaves may be hard-coded to a specific filename if that's something you're wanting to change, but otherwise you should be set.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM