Author Topic: Question about 3D models in mission loadout.  (Read 2675 times)

Offline bfobar

Question about 3D models in mission loadout.
I've been playing with this feature and decided I really like it for the ships. I think I would like to revert the missles back to their still animations though. Is this easy to do, having 3D ships, but animated weapons at the same time in the mission loadout screen?

(In my mind, missles are too small and travel too fast to justify high enough poly models to look good in the loadout screen. I think still images there are the way to go. I do however, love the rotating actual ship models in the selection screen.)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Question about 3D models in mission loadout.
There's code in place to allow a seperate model for the missiles in the techroom, so the polys won't be wasted.  And eventually we'll get them rotating like the ships do.  It's worth having IMHO if only for mods; nothing screams incomplete for a weapon like using the ani from a different gun or missile.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline bfobar

That makes sense. Thanks StratComm.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
but there's still an issue with the distance values 'n junk to be fixed, because if you look at a missile from anywhere in a 45 degree angle to the front, the thing gets elongated so badly you can't tell what you're looking at.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Missiles rotating like ships do...done. I also did some work on fixing the problem of models being rendered too close to the virtual camera in the list.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
just set the 3rd number of the closeup_pos section to a highr number? :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

Basically...I changed it to radius/tan(fov/2)
-C

Offline bfobar

hey, is it hard to adjust the center of mass or rotation or whatever of the missles? the rotation looks sweet, but some missles seem to spin about their exhaust pipes. Otherwise, it looks niiiiiiice now.

Offline WMCoolmon

I think there may be a post somewhere on the forums, but I didn't bookmark it. :-/

I've tried autocentering but it looks like for some reason that's not working with retail missiles. It does work fine for the high-poly versions though, because the models were built centered.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Not hard to do, you just have to change the techroom center on the missile POFs to be half their length forward of the origin.  You can do it easily in both PCS and modelview.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM