Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3027353 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
I hope you took the plug out first!!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And now Carrie Fisher is on a ventilator after suffering a massive heart attack.  Legitimately going to find a way to strangle a calendar year, because **** 2016.

And now Carrie Fisher is on a ventilator after suffering a massive heart attack.  Legitimately going to find a way to strangle a calendar year, because **** 2016.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/iconic-star-wars-actress-carrie-174459671.html

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Agree with the end 2016 sentiment and glad its 2017. It is amazing how family can make mind numbing stupid decisions that mess up relationships and single handily ruin the holidays.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
My traditional holiday case of the sads plays out again.  This really either needs to get resolved or at least stop getting my hopes up that it might be about to.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Goddamnit I hate reporters.  Keep your opinions and spins out of **** and LISTEN to what you're being told.

Knoxville got snow last night, which makes for guarenteed entertainment.  Usually that entertainment comes in the form of counting abandoned cars along my neighborhood.  Half-a-dozen is about the norm for a one-to-two inch snowfall.

Today, people have been determined not to abandon their vehicles or their daily routines.  Instead, they're going with that good, old, Southern mainstay of four-wheel-drive-will-save-me.  To be fair, that's working well for many (though for this meager snowfall, any old front-wheel-drive sedan/hatchback would suffice).  There have been several....special cases, though.

One such special case was a neighbor from up the hill.  He thought four-wheel-drive would save him from the snow.  He seemed to forget that most modern pickup trucks default to rear-wheel-drive, unless the driver actively engages four-wheel-drive.  That was his first mistake, but with big, gnobbly off-road tires and a little bit of sanity and sense, surely this guy could get around a corner and up a ten degree incline, with a modest amount of snow on the road.

Yeah, well, he had the gnobbly tires.

I started watching from my front window, when I heard him spin up his tires on his first attempt to ascend the hill.  Rather than easing off the throttle, he let off completely and went straight for the brakes, locking all four wheels, causing him to slide very slowly back toward the T-junction.  He conceded the battle, but not the war, putting the truck in reverse, and backing out onto the street to the left.  As a bit of foreshadowing, he was so aggressive while reversing that he continued to spin up the rear wheels, while he backed away from the intersection.

This genius among men clearly graduated from the Jeremy Clarkson School of Driving, where the answer to every question or problem is, "SPEED AND POWER!"  From his starting point about 200 yards from the intersection, he went full throttle, building speed slowly (owing to the wheelspin) but surely.  He cut the wheel hard right, about where you normally would to turn into the apartment complex, but when it came time to straighten his course, the the driver immediately lost control of the truck's rear end--charitably assuming he had any measure of control to begin with--which continued to rotate, despite a desperate attempt to countersteer.  After about an eighth of a turn, that rotation came to an abrupt end, when the rear, driver's side quarterpanel made contact with apartment B1's mailbox.

Now, you'd think that would be the end of it.  The driver has caused property damage, so it's clearly and obviously time to stop and get help, right?

Oh, you poor, deluded fool.

With one wheel in the grass, this guy figured he'd have the traction necessary to build momentum and get up the hill at last.  After gingerly balancing the dismounted mailbox on what was left of the frame that once held it, the driver got back in his truck and true-to-form, went full-throttle.  Again, his rear wheels spun up, and finding no traction on the grass (or rather the mud, since the grass was quickly uprooted) or the road, this guy found himself sliding slowly backwards towards a stop sign and a telephone pole.

Fortunately for those of us who enjoy the use of electricity and telecommunications technology, the stop sign was the point where the numpty finally gave up and called for a tow.

I have a question: Why do pick up trucks default to rear-wheel drive when the weight distribution is to the front in most cases, depending on load? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to put them in FWD and use the rear wheels only for the extra help? It's not like they are sportscars (I must admit that those NASCAR Trucks are rad, but they are rad becuase of their sheer idiocy).

It dates back to a time when pickup trucks were utility vehicles that would typically only be used when they had a load to carry.  RWD makes sense, if you're operating the vehicle on the road with a load in the back.  It doesn't make sense now that two-bit morons just want a big, dumb truck to use as a daily driver, but blah blah, something something, invisible hand of the market, et cetera.

That great chain that we keep flopping around so that someone can choke us with it.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Yeah you need rear wheel drive for working and pulling trailers. I'm sure the default to rear drive is probably because that would need to be the stronger gear box. Secondly I imagine the linkage is easier to put in to engage front wheel drive than rear. Let's face it, if the linkage would break, in a working scenario you would rather lose front than rear wheel drive.

I'm more concerned about the fact that people don't know you have to engage four wheel drive.

I had my work truck in four wheel drive this morning as extra help in case I needed it navigating the icey roads this morning. Could have done without it, but it was nice to have it help.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:05:57 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

The refreeze has begun to claim victims.  I can see two abandoned vehicles from my front window already, and I hear a third struggling.

Our friend in the pickup truck took a second bite at the apple.  I'm not sure what (or if) he was thinking, since he already knew conditions were beyond his capability to manage before sundown.  I suppose, if at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again.  This time he was a little less willing to approach with as much gusto, since a car was already abandoned across the street from the mailbox he took out earlier.  Ultimately, he chose to abandon his vehicle, rather than risk damaging someone else's.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
About to go brave the Great Southern Snowpocalypse of 2017.  In my brand new AWD (full time) Mazda CX-5.  Gonna turn traction control off and gun it to make sure I have enough momentum to make it over the piles.

But seriously, I was out yesterday and it was fine.  I love this car.  I only wish it had some more ground clearance.  Heard one or two cringy scraping noises in the parking lot.  Driving in snow is as simple as driving slow and staying off the gas and steering over possible ice.  Gonna need a car wash pronto once it clears out.  I'll be pretty pissed at myself if I dinged it up.  I SLIGHTLY regret not buying the super overpriced 'protection' package from the dealer.  Expensive, but probably not as much as fixing the paint if the snow and ice ****s it up 2 weeks off the lot.  Didn't have time to look into doing something myself.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Having just watched spectral on Netflix, I think Moldova looks lovely and I wish to visit.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Snow skimming does not work with an old, small board that has no wax or tracpads on it, turns out.  Luckily was sharing the hill with a couple other families that shared their boogie boards which work much better as improvised sleds.  And there was the guy that turned up with half a surfboard and an armful of beer.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Befriend that man.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
four-wheel-drive-will-save-me

As someone who has grown up in some of the snowiest, most miserable driving conditions this entire planet has to offer:

Four wheel drive is only to be used to get oneself UNSTUCK.  If one engages 4x4 beforehand and then gets stuck, you're ****ed.  4x4 is also highly overrated in snow and ice.  Usually the problem with people driving on snow and ice is too much acceleration, not too little.  Finesse is required.  Personally, I own two front-wheel drive vehicles, and at work I drive 4x4 pickup trucks.  I will take either of my personal vehicles in snowy/icy conditions (especially in mountainous or narrow roads) over the work trucks any day of the week.  4x4 and AWD are NOT safety features, but they are a great way to get people who have no idea how to drive in snowy/icy conditions int serious trouble.

Also, I bought Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 studded winter tires this year, so my minivan can climb goddamned trees.  Winter tires aren't just for snow; they really should be required anywhere the temperatures drop below 7 degrees Celsius for months at a time.

I'll be pretty pissed at myself if I dinged it up.  I SLIGHTLY regret not buying the super overpriced 'protection' package from the dealer.  Expensive, but probably not as much as fixing the paint if the snow and ice ****s it up 2 weeks off the lot.  Didn't have time to look into doing something myself.

How on Earth will snow and ice wreck your paint job?  My white van is presently brown, and remains so for weeks on end during this time of the year (it appears our local car wash doesn't like staying open below -20 C).  Ditto for the blue car.  Nothing wrong with either the clearcoat or the paint; car is nearly 9 years old and the van is now 4.  Rock chips are about all you have to worry about if your area sands the roads, and a $20 pen of touchup+clearcoat fixes those (which I've never had to do).  It's windshields that suffer from rock damage.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:22:08 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The snow turns to jagged ice within hours around here.