Poll

Which of these strikecraft would you most like to see make a cameo as a prototype in Frontlines?

GTF Valkyrie
16 (57.1%)
GTF Hercules
9 (32.1%)
GTB Medusa
2 (7.1%)
GTB Zeus
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: February 07, 2014, 12:08:57 pm

Author Topic: Frontlines 2334 progress (formerly "Request - Single in-game cutscene mission)  (Read 25102 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Frontlines 2334 progress (formerly "Request - Single in-game cutscene mission)
Lookin' good.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Frontlines 2334 progress (formerly "Request - Single in-game cutscene mission)
A little bot of pof work still to be done (including possibly tweaking he size up a tad - it's presently 966m long, which is just under where I wanted it to sit)  and I need to do the tidying up, convert the texs to DDS that sort of thing. But it's ingame, the debris and submodels work, the turrets shoot, the fighterbays launch fighters, all of that is as it should be. Will release tomorrow I reckon.

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
So, with the release of the carrier, I started FREDding the actual mission, but it became harder and harder to justify the fact that the assault on a major Vasudan capship was happening without heavy bombers - the GTA would have had some kind of heavy strike craft. So, given that there was nothing I really liked on the wiki in that role, and I didn't want to make anything new, (I've delayed too long on this project as it is) I had to do something else. Hence:

Mars class bomber - obviously, it's a kitbash and texture tweak of Col Fishguts'  Rhea - full credit to him for the vast bulk of the work.

Download

Mesh is as yet untested and it currently lacks a table. I'm not wiki-ing it or making a proper release thread since it kinda doesn't really deserve one. I'll throw it up as a variant once FL is out I guess.

Anyway, on with the FREDding!

[EDIT]Looks like the pof references the worng textures - this will need to be fixed in PCS2 if anyone wants to use the model, but it's an easy fix. Really, this emphasizes that this is more of a WiP than an actual release - I'm mainly only putting it out to hold on to my stated goal of releasing all my FL stuff as I finish it, because I couldn't justify a full on release for what was really only a couple of hours modifying someone else's work.
[EDIT2]Also, the glowpoint is off in space somewhere forward of the tail. Really should have looked at this ingame before releasing anything. Once again, reiterating this is a WiP.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:06:08 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
mh, nice
the next time i'll be super bored i'm going to make a team colored version ;)

edit: i've actually done it at once, together with adding LODs and creating a table, download will follow tomorrow
thinking of it, the textures should actually work as a team color version of the Rhea too...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:29:28 pm by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

do you need someone to test this campaign count me in

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
... of Col Hornet's Rhea -...

Wat? Ok, I haven't been around much lately ;)

Funny looking kitbash though :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
... of Col Hornet's Rhea -...

Wat? Ok, I haven't been around much lately ;)

Whoops! :nervous: Can't keep my colonel's straight. :|

Of course, I cocked up, original model is by Col. Fishguts, not Col Hornet, and is bloody good too!
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

This is a Vasudan "tug", designed specifically to dock with Aten cruisers. It grabs them if they've been damaged or disabled and drags them through subspace for repairs. Given that it handles the dead (or near dead) I'm thinking about calling it the "PVT Sarcophagus", but I'm not entirely sold on that.  Anyway, for those wondering, it will dock like this.

For the record, I have also been FREDding - the mission for which this model is required is one that I like, but one that I can use in pretty much any frontlines minicampaign - and given that it wasn't part of the initial mission plan, adding it would be feature creep, which I'm trying to avoid. So this may get used in this campaign, or I may put it n the slow burner and use the mission idea in a future minicampaign. There's still more mesh work to be done, obviously - I want to add some greebling to the sides and base, and up the detail count on the "arms" leading to the bridge at the front. It'll also be armed, so a few turrets to come yet.

[EDIT]UVing is complete, and was less painful than I originally expected it would be. So, makign the actual texs (and possibly, eventually a bridge interior model) is the next step. Ho hum. maybe it will get included in 2334 after all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:03:31 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

These weapons have been tabled in-game for awhile, but I only just got around to making models for them. On the left is the Phoenix III, the GTA's best anti-turret weapon (and a personal favourite of mine from the weapons available in 2334) and on the tight, the Thunderclap heavy bomb. Both very useful for anti capship operations against the Vasudans.

[EDIT] - Another angle.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Please say that someone makes a joke about giving Vasudans the clap. :D

Offline Lorric

I take it these weapons will have less power than what you use in FS1?

Please say that someone makes a joke about giving Vasudans the clap. :D
Nooo... :D

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I take it these weapons will have less power than what you use in FS1?

They do. Phoenix 3 has lower range and less damage than the Phoenix 5, although it's a trade-off, since the heat-seeking means that it's much quicker to fire off than the 5, especially if you have them in two banks. Once you're used to the missile's quirks, you can very efficiently defang a freighter or a cruiser with them. The Thunderclap is slightly faster and longer ranged than the Tsunami, but does half the damage.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline fightermedic

any chance you could release the models? i've been looking for some good early terran bombs for ages...
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
any chance you could release the models? i've been looking for some good early terran bombs for ages...

Sure. Link

In other news, Goober has agreed to add me a little private forum for beta testing the finished missions (currently 5 complete and another very nearly complete, just needs some messages added and some additional debrief stages). So things are moving along very handily at this stage. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:51:05 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

It's fully dynamic, and the amount of damage you do (as well as the ships you prioritize) determines whether you pass the mission. For the record, also a minor PITA to do. But worth it I think. :D
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline fightermedic

that's pretty cool indeed, and thanks for the missiles!
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline starlord

How about nout for the tug? If you search for that goddess's meaning you'll notice it seems compatible...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK, for those who're interested and wondering why updates just stopped, well, I have spent big chunks of the last couple of weeks helping my brother paint and move into his new house (still working on that last part actually) which has meant no FS time in my schedule. However, that is nearly finished, and I should be back into it very soon. Also, before I got started on that, I had a few people run through the missions I had in the completed pile - a few bugs were noticed (most of which have now been fixed) but the big issue has been the difficulty. Rebalancing the campaign to make it realistically beatable for those people who didn't happen to FRED the missions is going to be a tricky business, especially since I really do want this campaign to fall on the harder end of the spectrum.

Anyway, should be able to get back into fairly intensive FREDding from tonight - new updates to come soon. :)
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
:bump:

I'm still working away at this. 4 missions are now in what I'd call the complete pile, although a couple are pending tweaks for difficulty once the testers get ahold of them. 2 more are very close, and really mostly need messages and debriefs.

The last few are definitely much farther away - my end of the agreement with mjn is finally starting to progress, so hopefully the ingame cutscene will be going ahead before too long, and the final few playable missions have at least been started (although they're somewhat embryonic), though a lot more work is needed. I've also been convinced to add a training mission that will help to introduce players to the ideas of TV War era combat - shieldless combat, ****ty missiles, things like that.

Finally, I've pretty much decided to delay the Aten recovery mission and insert it into another minicampaign - it wasn't plot critical, and the amount of delay required to finish building the model would be unacceptable, given my aim for a short development time (already dragged on much longer than anticipated).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I've added a poll to the topic - please let me know your opinion. Will only run for a few days, so decide quickly!

Also: http://imagebin.org/290147

This is still a WiP - as well as LoDs and debris, I'm going to put some big, sweepy arms from the boxes into the centre, one set going up, one going down, with big sensor subsystems on them, plus probably some kind of greebles on the outer sides of the boxes (Docks, perhaps, or additional windows). In all honestly, it's a bit too close to the Abydos design, really, but I couldn't think of another design I could do quickly, and this is for a specific mission, so I needed it to be done sharpish. Besides, it's of the same generation, so I'm letting myself get away with it. :D

[EDIT]Just thought, with a few tweaks, and a big enough asteroid model, this might see additional use as a Vasudan mining station. Hmmm...
Rarely Updated P3D.