Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 39529 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
September 2015

“A beautiful, perfectly formed crystal of a novel…” — John Chu

“…an amazing epic fantasy…I consider it an instant classic.” — Tiemen Zwaan

Baru Cormorant wants to understand the world.

“An extraordinary debut—powerful, complex, and passionate.” — Kij Johnson

“Storytelling that succeeds on both an epic and a powerfully intimate scale…” —Sunny Moraine

Her mother Pinion knows the hunt and the stars. Her father Solit knows the smithy and the telescope. Her father Salm knows how to kill, and why no one ever should. She loves them more than anything. She loves her home, island Taranoke, the warm place at the center of the world.

“Smart. Brutal. Gut-wrenching. You’ll be captivated from the very first page. Dickinson is a sly, masterful writer who pulls no punches. Get ready to have your heart ripped out through your throat.” — Kameron Hurley

“…a poet’s Dune, a brutal tale of empire, rebellion, fealty, and high finance that moves like a rocket and burns twice as hot. The Traitor Baru Cormorant is a mic drop for epic fantasy.”   —Max Gladstone

Tomorrow, on the beach, Baru will look up from the sand and see red sails on the horizon.

The Masquerade is coming. Armed with coin and ink, doctrine and compass, soap and lies. Their secrets are the secrets of empire and Baru will claim them at any cost. She’ll join the Masquerade. She’ll prove herself a savant at the exercise of power. She’ll be exactly what they need.

Will it hurt? Certainly. Will it ask too much of her? Of course. But she’ll complete her work: finding a way to the top. She’ll do it for her home. Her family. Her freedom.

Baru knows she can save her world. All she needs is a little more power to do it.

Chapter 1 — Tor.com preview
Chapter 2 — Tor.com preview
Chapter 3 — Barnes & Noble preview

Baru’s World
Quote from: Handbook of Manumission
People need things. Water and shelter. Cloth and sewer. A chance to heal, a story to tell, a dream to realize. A law that puts tomorrow’s weakest above the powers of today.

People build society to meet those needs. Civilizations brick themselves out of the floodplain and sweep down off the high west steppe. In turn they have needs of their own. Stability. Deterrence. Record-keeping, revolt-breaking, a plan for the next drought, an answer to the shapes in the dark and the mutineers in the slum.  They grapple with the world a while and then they fall apart.

A time of hope. A time of prosperity. A mistake! A setback! A chain of collapses. Again and again.

The cycle has to end. The civilization game can be solved. Together we propose a solution.

Civilization thrives on the Ashen Sea.

Sail south and harbor in Oriati Mbo: four great nations bound together by philosophy and history, singing the story of a millennium of joyful change. Sail west to nameless lands where the Tu Maia once ruled, the wave of their expansion broken now, their story still alive in the epics of their dandelion-scattered descendants. Sail north to Aurdwynn, land of olive and redwood, wolf and Duke, where the Tu Maia met the pale Stakhieczi masons in a crash of cavalry and phalanx. That story has a few shapes, depending who you ask.

Or you might stay home, on Taranoke, a little bit southwest of the middle of everything. There’s a warm wind on the beach, and kelp to gather. You can burn the kelp for ash. You can make the ash into glass. If you had a nice telescope, you could watch the stars. There must be stories up there.

Of course, you might sail east, over the burnt hulks and seared bones of Oriati fleets. Sail east to Falcrest, the Antler and the Qualm, Old King Poison. Have you heard the news? The old dynasty is ended. Something young and eager rises from the blood of kings. In Falcrest they say —

Civilization clings to the Ashen Sea. Civilization isn’t a story. It’s a fragile, desperate thing, a machine of erratic and tenuous make. And when it falls again, as fall it will, the cost will be appalling.

So we have come to repair it.

BUY MY BOOK

exclusive amazon.com preorder bonus: start with 3 extra epidemic diseases to unlock inoculations!
exclusive barnes and noble preorder bonus: pre-developed star charts help you outmaneuver your geopolitical foes at sea!
exclusive the metademe preorder bonus: discover conditioning to develop deadly covert operatives!
exclusive oriati mbo preorder bonus: use ideologies of trim to cycle your vulnerabilities into strengths! +400 vulnerability to fire!
exclusive aurdwynn preorder bonus: divide your polity into competing duchies! +200% resistance to occupation! chance of rebellion DOUBLES every decade!
exclusive taranoke preorder bonus: give up political power for cosmopolitan trade and a great climate! nothing bad will happen

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:26:07 pm by General Battuta »

Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
i preordered baru cormorant and i now have a promising civil service post, would recommend
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
give up political power for cosmopolitan trade and a great climate! nothing bad will happen
this sounds like a foolproof plan, sign me up
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

i'd like to buy some telescopes, i'll pay in notes
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

The hygienic way to pay.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Allow me to couple my hype to the hypetrain!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Damnit Batts, I HATE preorders, but for you I'll do it.  Soonish.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Veers

I'm just being picky about the Cover Art work... I'd have to buy both if I saw the option.

Pre-ordered, all aboard the hype train!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Already pre-ordered at town's Waterstones. Am quite looking forward gotta say; still remember that sample you gave us a few months back and I was hooked to it from that alone. :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Mikes

Preordereded :-)

Not sure whether I want it as a hard cover or an e-book yet.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, the hardcover selling out is a strong signal for Tor that they made the right decision to back Tutta.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Wow! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I'll have to grab the ebook when I have money!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline Vrets

If you keep promoting this then I will buy a copy for the sole purpose of writing a 100 page scathing review. The first 50 pages alone will be focused on pretentious semicolons.

The synopsis is interesting; mercifully, you seem to have gone with only "The Traitor" on the book jacket. That was a wise move.

I haven't read a book since 1995, though.

edit: my work has followed me home in the form of I CAN'T STOP EDITING MY POSTS
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:04:24 pm by Vrets »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The semicolons are decently under control but — oh man, brah, you won't BELIEVE it — the emdashes are just out of control.

It's THE TRAITOR in the UK but THE TRAITOR BARU CORMORANT in the US (because that's more kickass).

i have repeatedly tried to find 'THE TRAITOR' on uk amazon and consistently drawn a blank

i should have a shot at this publishing thing, surely i can't be worse at it than the people who decided on that

Offline Vrets

I checked the listings; but yeah, I don't see pre-order option for hardcover.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:27:48 am by Vrets »

"The Traitor" is bad SEO
"Baru Cormorant" is best SEO

Yes, I'll buy the book.