Author Topic: Rogue One Ships (Spoiler!)  (Read 17695 times)

Re: Rogue One Ships (Spoiler!)
Yikes... I'm really not liking these designs. :wtf:

I hope Disney/LFL isn't going to shoehorn new ships/vehicles into the film simply to give the audience something new to see (and toys to buy). They need to put a lot of thought into it so it doesn't end up contrived. There are already a myriad of canonical ships/vehicles that fill pretty much every combat role at this point of the GCW. Anything new needs to make sense (and look good).

Well, take a look at Battle of Yavin and count how many Y-Wings survive at the end. IIRC, only one made it out. Sure, they were at a disadvantage, but X-Wings managed a lot better.
That's not fair or accurate to say. One Y-wing survived out of eight (one of only two that had functional ion cannons; Dutch, Tiree and Pops would've fared much better had they not made a few tactical mistakes) while only two X-wings survived out of twenty-two (one was badly damaged; the X-wing's targeting system was incapable of accurately locking onto the exhaust port).

Y-wings were quite capable at dogfighting TIEs. Even at the end of the GCW.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:25:11 pm by Vector Leader »
Chance favors the prepared mind.

I hope Disney/LFL isn't going to shoehorn new ships/vehicles into the film simply to give the audience something new to see (and toys to buy). They need to put a lot of thought into it so it doesn't end up contrived. There are already a myriad of canonical ships/vehicles that fill pretty much every combat role at this point of the GCW. Anything new needs to make sense (and look good).

Disney don't give a **** about the old Extended Universe, and that's by far the best thing they've done with the franchise.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Disney don't give a **** about the old Extended Universe, and that's by far the best thing they've done with the franchise.
I agree, but I wasn't referring to the old EU. My point is, I don't want them repeating the same garbage.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So wait, they basically inverted the colors of the TIE fighter for the Force Awakens, yet they are going to shoe in 2/3rds of a TIE Phantom for this flick? :P

I actually think it would be fun if they had surplus LAATIs for drop ships, I'm not particularly wowed by the Ugly bucket.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
That Starfighter reminds me a little of Buck Rogers ship! You young uns probably won't remember who he was!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Erin Gray
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I don’t mind the kitbash design. I think canon was already stretching suspension of disbelief a bit too far, what with Rebels being able to secure new and unique starfighter models almost as often as the rich and well-connected Empire.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original EU explanation was that Incom was originally commissioned to create the X-wing for the Empire, then most of them defected to the Rebels once work was complete, when the Empire started moving to nationalize the corporation.

Nevermind, I just looked it up.  Apparently Incom sided with the Rebels shortly before work on the X-wing began, not after.

On the new fighters: I don't mind the design of the new TIE, but the Rebel fighter is just nasty looking.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:41:41 pm by Riverstyx »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original EU explanation was that Incom was originally commissioned to create the X-wing for the Empire, then most of them defected to the Rebels once work was complete, when the Empire started moving to nationalize the corporation.

Nevermind, I just looked it up.  Apparently Incom sided with the Rebels shortly before work on the X-wing began, not after.
As far as I can tell, your striken-out text is the correct interpretation of events:
Quote from: Wookieepedia
The X-wing was originally designed by Incom Corporation for the Empire by Vors Voorhorian. It was directly descended from the old Z-95 Headhunter, built by Incom and Subpro, with lessons learned from the ARC-170 starfighter of the Clone Wars. After the Galactic Empire planned to nationalize the Incom Corporation, the entire engineering team defected to the Rebel Alliance with the prototypes hidden on Fresia.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

As far as I can tell, your striken-out text is the correct interpretation of events:
Quote from: Wookieepedia
The X-wing was originally designed by Incom Corporation for the Empire by Vors Voorhorian. It was directly descended from the old Z-95 Headhunter, built by Incom and Subpro, with lessons learned from the ARC-170 starfighter of the Clone Wars. After the Galactic Empire planned to nationalize the Incom Corporation, the entire engineering team defected to the Rebel Alliance with the prototypes hidden on Fresia.

Whoops, I must have misread it then

Offline Dain

Funnily enough "X-wing X-wing X-wing" is quite often how my brain works..

Offline Luis Dias

It does give credence to the rumours that the whole thing was too serious of a tone.

Offline Frak_Tastic

• Giggity Giggity Fracker!
My god those ships look terrible.  I mean the rebel fighter looks like a rip off of the buck rogers fighter from the '70's show.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck+rogers+fighter&biw=1536&bih=725&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCgvDd6LfOAhWG5SYKHctJAywQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.25

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's not the first time this design appeared in SW, though:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-7_Howlrunner
Could very well be a reference (if not outright reintroduction) to the Howlrunner. It was originally an Imperial starfighter, funnily enough.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Well, that ugly ship is definitely in the new trailer.  That said, the new trailer is exciting and I'm definitely looking forward to this movie.  And while there is this strange craft addition, most of what they've shown is a great mix of ships from the OT - specifically stuff we see in Episode 4, which makes sense.

Personally, I like the idea of a dark-toned Star Wars movie.  I hope the Disney execs don't dumb it down too badly.

Offline Dain

Some nice X-wing action in some of the new ones. And finally, different coloured X-wing squadrons in the films. Plus they seem to have remembered how the wing markings worked originally..

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Very nice.  I admit that I'm getting almost giddy with anticipation for this movie.  And I'm fully aware what a dangerous thing that is.  Dangit.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's not JUST the Moon, its the Space Station!

:drevil:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, it looks like a squadron of TIE fighters.  That's awesome.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
love it!!!  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...