Author Topic: Name question  (Read 1507 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Is [`_`]/ a legal username for the HLP forums? It's entirely non-alphanumeric characters and contains slashes and graves so it might break things, which is why I'm wondering.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The forum database is encoded in UTF-8, and we have other members with special characters in their names (the most creative probably being (†)Revenant™(†)), so from a technical standpoint it won't break things.

From a community standpoint, we don't have anyone else whose name consists purely of ASCII art.  On the one hand, I wouldn't want a swarm of emoticon usernames.  On the other hand, you're the first person to propose this in seventeen years, so that may not turn out to be a problem.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Also he could have his custom text say "it's pronounced face" or whatever if clarity is an issue.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
May not be so much about clarity as trying to use Private Messaging or Member Search.  Especially the former, you'd practically have to use member search.  But that applies to anyone with UTF-8 characters not on the keyboard.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

[`_`]/ is all on the keyboard right? I'm using the US international thingy

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah in this case, the UTF-8 ones not so much, although remembering the exact character sequence off hand is a lot more difficult than less bizarre usernames.   Still, we do have the search function and most people probably hit the PM button in a forum thread anyway.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays