Author Topic: Prologue Released!  (Read 183706 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Greetings, fellow Wing Commander fans!

You are about to download a true labor of love. Our team has poured countless hours of sweat into creating Wing Commander Saga, and we are all extremely pleased to share the first fruits of our labor with you. After all, without the support you have provided us, none of this would have been possible. For that, you have our deepest thanks.

Following in the footsteps of a game like Wing Commander 3 is an amazing challenge. We hope you will find a familar sense of space combat as you experience our vision of the Wing Commander universe and play your part in the incredible story that will unfold in the months and years to come.

The team is very proud of this game, and we look forward to hearing your reaction. And once again, on behalf of the entire team, let me thank you for standing by us. It means a lot.

Tolwyn & Starman
Producers Wing Commander Saga

Download (Windows Installer, 282 MB)

• Be sure to check out the nice manual.
  • Even more important, be sure to check out the fiction viewer and it's cool story. Both will be copied into your Wing Commander Saga folder and are available in the start menu. The additional passwords will be provided in mission debriefings.
  • Don't forget to try out the sim missions as well. They are on the single player tab in the tech room.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:46:29 pm by Jeff Vader »
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
WING COMMANDER SAGA
PROLOGUE README

1   INTRODUCTION

In an interview with TCN News, Colonel Christopher “Maverick” Blair said, “I have never felt comfortable with people calling me ‘The Savior of the Confederation.’ Sure, I was the wing leader in the raid on Kilrah, and I was the one who dropped the Temblor bomb. But I don’t want people to forget that I only got that far because of the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of others.

This is their story.

The conflict between Earth and Kilrah is drawing to a close, and the Terran Confederation is not winning. Humanity’s only hope lies in a desperate plan that will require even idealistic young fighter pilots to stretch themselves beyond all imagination. It’s the end of the world, and you have a front row seat.

Raw emotion, realistic characters, a hard look at the devastation of war, and intense large-scale space combat action await you as you assume the role of 2nd Lt. David “Sandman” Markham. Twists of fate will throw you out of your dull backwater assignment and right into the hottest spots of the most devastating war in history.

Wing Commander is back. You know Blair’s story, now experience the rest of the Saga.

1.1   ABOUT THE PROLOGUE
In the prologue missions you join Markham at the beginning of his career on the TCS Wellington. These missions are not part of the full game, which will be released in winter 2666. The upcoming full release contains more than 40 heart-pounding missions that will take your experience with the Wing Commander universe to the next level.

Game features:

• Enhanced Freespace 2 engine with features such as autopilot, carrier landings, enhanced graphics, effects and more
  • Entirely stand-alone, Freespace 2 not required
  • Breathtaking, high-detail models
  • Dozens of believable characters
  • Bountiful mission variety
  • Combat ranging from minor fighter skirmishes to full-scale fleet battles
  • Complex and compelling storyline
  • Complete voice acting by an original cast

The following features have been excluded from the prologue:

• Multiple environments including nebulas and mine fields
  • Command Briefings
  • Ship and weapons configuration
  • Multiplayer

1.2   SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

>   Minimum Specifications:

Computer: 100% DirectX 8.1 compatible computer
Operating System: Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP
CPU: Pentium® III 700 MHz or AMD Athlon 600 MHz processor
Memory: 256 MB RAM for Windows® 98, 384 MB RAM for Windows® ME/2000/XP
Graphics Card: 32 MB NVIDIA® or ATI Hardware T&L card
Sound Card: Windows® 98/2000/XP-compatible sound card
Imput Device: Windows® compatible mouse and keyboard
DirectX®: DirectX® version 8.1 or higher
OpenAL: OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.
Installation: 600 MB free HD space

>   Recommended Specifications:

Operating System: Windows® 2000/XP
CPU: Pentium® 1.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz processor
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics Card: 64 MB NVIDIA® GeForce 4 or ATI Radeon Hardware T&L card
Input Device: Thrustmaster Afterburner or a similar input device

1.3   KNOWN ISSUES

• Glow maps may fade in and out or exhibit intermittent flickering effects at a certain distance. If this is the case, you may want to activate 4xAA and 4x AF in your driver’s options.
  • When the autopilot is engaged, other ships may appear to rapidly jump back in forth in relative position to the player’s ship. Many times, this will not be noticeable because the other ships will be in formation behind the player. While this bug is visually strange and occurs only seldomly, it should not cause any problems, and will be corrected for the full release of Wing Commander Saga.
  • Capital ship surface shields are simulated and a specific sound is played when cap ship shields are hit, there is currently no visual effect. This is an issue that is being worked on and may be resolved for the full campaign. Although the surface shields of capital ships are not visible, they are active, just as they were in Wing Commander 3.
  • For some lower-end computers, the apperance of asteroid fields causes a significant slowdown. If you are experiencing this problem, enabling “Asteroid Field Performance Fix” option in the installer will fix it. If you are not experiencing this problem, we do not recommend that you use this option.

1.4   INSTALLATION

The game needs at least 600 MB free memory on the hard drive. Initiate installation by running prologue_setup.exe. Follow the on-screen instructions. The setup will automatically enable the settings that should allow Saga to run well on your system.

> Click on the desktop icon labeled “Launch Prologue”:

The game is now ready to run. Double click on the desktop icon labeled “Launch Prologue” and you can enjoy the improved graphics and enthralling story.

>   Create a Pilot:

Once the game is running, you will need to create a pilot by entering a name and select the “Prologue” campaign in the “Campaigns” section. Then, click on Continue to begin playing Wing Commander Saga.

1.5   CUSTOMIZING LAUNCHER OPTIONS

The default settings that we have provided should allow most systems to run Wing Commander Saga well, and we recommend that you use them. However, you can customize your options by using the launcher program.

>   Run the launcher:

First, run the launcher. This can be accessed through the Start/Programs menu.

>   General Settings:

• Level of Detail: Leave set at High unless you have a really crappy system.
  • Use Large Textures: This allows the game to use large textures (bigger than 256x256 in OGL and bigger than 1024x1024 in D3D).
  • Fix Font Distortion Problems: Some graphics cards experience problems at the edges of letters. Checking this box fixes that bug, however if you don’t have the problem in the first place it will cause the problem. So, do not select this item unless you actually have the text distortion problem while this flag is not selected.

>   Configure the video options:

Click on the Video tab and select which mode you want to run the game in. You have two main choices at time of writing: OpenGL or Direct3D8. You may want to experiment to determine which one leads to better performance on your computer, but bear in mind that Direct3D is not supported by Wing Commander Saga.

>   Set the command line settings:

Click on the Flags tab. Flags tell the game which new features to activate. Because the flags change frequently, it is possible that the launcher will pop up an error stating that it doesn't recognize a flag. Most likely, the flag that has produced such an error has been replaced by another one or the feature has been turned on by default. Alternatively, if you have written a flag manually rather than selecting a box, you may have misspelled the flag.

Flags:

• -spec: This flag turns on the specular lighting code (which makes the models look better).
  • -glow: This flag turns on the glow mapping code (which also makes the models look better).
  • -env: Enables environment mapping. Environment mapping intensity will be determined from the intensity of specular maps. At the time of this writing, environment mapping only works when the video mode is OpenGL.
  • -ambient_factor xx: This flag changes the ambient lighting which makes certain effects look more impressive and alters how well models are lit by ambient light. Try -ambient_factor 100 as a starting point and feel free to experiment with the number. Lower levels of ambient lighting will allow you to see the various lighting effects better. Higher levels will allow you to see the models more discretely, similar to how they are rendered in Wing Commander 3.
  • -wcsaga: Enables feature set for The Wing Commander Saga
  • -no_vsync: Disables vertical sync.
  • -fps: This flag turns on the frames per second counter so you can see if the effects are slowing down the game.

> Notes:

• The specular lighting and glow maps tags are also essential. Turning them off will not result in increased performance.
  • 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions are not supported. Most systems should be able to have decent performance on the default resolution setting.

> Click Run:

After completing your custom setup, click the run button to launch the Prologue, or press the Okay button and launch the prologue from the desktop icon.

>Troubleshooting:

If you experience any difficulties, feel free to post questions.

Visit the Wing Commander Saga Website at:

http://www.wcsaga.com

1.6   MAIN MENU

The following options are available in the Main menu:
  • Continue – starts/continues the demo
  • Tech data – launches encyclopedia, simulator, credits list
  • Campaign  - select campaign
  • Options - game settings
  • Pilot – manage your pilots
  • Exit – quit game

2   CONTROLS

The controls may seem complex at first, but will become familiar after a little practice. Each demo mission explains part of the game mechanics. You may access a list of controls through the “Options” menu in-game.

It should be noted that the Arrow features the same autoslide (or "Shelton Slide") feature that it had in Wing Commander III. Autoslide is toggled on and off by pressing Alt + G. When Autoslide is engaged, maneuvering the Arrow with the joystick or keyboard will make it pivot on its axis without changing its direction of flight, which has multiple tactical usages.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm, I guess this is as good as any as a first contact to Wing Commander universe.

*downloads*

...oh, and congratulations to the team for a release. And a happy new year.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

Too bad tonight I can't download it! I'll have to wait tomorrow morning :(
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Great !! Finish downloading, now, I gonna play. For your hardwork, I put a news here (Sorry if you don't understand french :D ).

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Great !! Finish downloading, now, I gonna play. For your hardwork, I put a news here (Sorry if you don't understand french :D ).

I really don't understand french (speaking  ;7), but thanks for posting this  :yes:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Thanks!

As a matter of fact I do understand french - in a manner of speaking :)

The team in load of the development of the total Wing conversion To order SAGA and more particularly Tolwyn (the project leader) are pleased happy to offer to you the playable version of WC SAGA: Prologue. Prologue is only the beginning of this long series which is Wing Commander SAGA. You will begin on board the TCS Wellington as Markham. The complete version will include/understand a total of 40 missions with voice acting. The play includes/understands:
- the advanced engine of Freespace 2 SCP including the autopilot, the landing, of the graphics improvement and much more.
- a single Alone Stand (need for Freespace 2 has by no means)
- detailed models
- tens of characters
- voice acting (integration of the voices)

Unfortunately, Prologue includes/understands Multijoueur part, neither of missions in full nebula or minefields, nor of briefing.

To download WC SAGA: Prologue (282 Mo).

Configuration recommended:
Operating system: Windows® 2000/XP CPU: Pentium® 1.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
Memory: 512 Mo RAM Graphics board: 64 MB NVIDIA® GeForce 4 or compatible ATI Radeon T&L
Peripheral of play: Thrustmaster Afterburner or a similar peripheral
The Official Site: Wing To order SAGA
The Official Forum: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Is that translated by google or did you that ? :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
... Translation

Great translation ^^ except "of the total Wing conversion To order SAGA " which would be "of the Wing Commander SAGA Total Conversion"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Is that translated by google or did you that ? :)

Trust me, you really do not want to know this! :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
 :lol:  I thought so 
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Woo~! Downloading now. I've never had any contact with WC (except the movie, but ...uh, yeah), but I do love me a good total conversion. =D Especially one that looks as cool as WCS.

Now, if only the download was faster. ;_;

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Now, if only the download was faster. ;_;

15 MBit/s is not enough? :) But, yeah, the download server is located in Germany.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Fantastic! And the readme is so professionally done it really bodes well for the game!
(actually, the spell broke when I got to "unless you have a really crappy system." LOL)

I'm wondering if the keys are going to WC style or FS style, though they do have a few in common, backspace and tab IIRC.
Too bad DrewToby never got to enjoy the awesomeness of WC.

I'm downloading at 217 KB/Sec.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:27:49 pm by Huggybaby »

Yeah, but 217's so slow! =P

Right then, I just finished the mission where you do the torpedo run on the poor 'ittle Pirate cruiser. I'm lovin' the voice acting. The part where Alpha...3? read the pirates their rights was probably my favorite so far. =D

Also, I love the missiles. Too bad I carry so few of them. ;_; And the hulls of the fighters seem really vulnerable. I was caught rather off-guard on my first dog fight; first time around, I was taken out in the initial volley (>_<). I chopped the difficultly to Very Easy, and that time ...I survived with 26% hull. Yes, I know, I = suck.

I've got a question regarding the T-bolt. Is that a turret on the back? It ...didn't seem to help me that much on my first torpedo run. Um, let's not go into that. ...I have this unfortunate penchant for stupid and avoidable deaths.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Why are you saying its only for Windows?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Congratulations guys!  Well done on putting this together.  I think everyone is going to enjoy this release immensely.  Have fun!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
When I understand Tolwyn correctly, the special linux / crossplatform build will follow tomorrow :)

@Drewtoby :  It takes a short while to get familiar with the WC-System. Missiles are extremly deadly (they were much harder, but we decided to reduce their damage a little :) )  I always play with "easy", and it's well balanced then.

As for the backturret of the thunderbolt, in Original WC you could enter that turret yourself and fire at the enemies on your back, but this is not possible in Freespace. Therefore the turret is just a pain in the ass on enemy bombers when you try shooting at them yourself (you will see for yourself what I mean  ;7)

The part where Alpha...3? read the pirates their rights was probably my favorite so far. =D

I also always liked that part.. "Damn, I was hoping for an Arrrrrh  Matey "  :p   It gave me a good laugh when I read it the first time in the script.

Glad you guys like it sofar, this makes all the work worth it. Keep playing, there is much more to see. And don't forget the additional simulator missions placed in the techroom.

MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

o__o;

There's MORE?!

I haven't finished the Prologue yet (just finished the mission where you land on the Kennedy; stupid having-to-do-homework), but I'm already worried that I'm almost done with it. ;_; It's much cooler than I thought it would be, and I thought a Total Conversion would be pretty neat to begin with.

I can't wait to try out the sims. =D

Just so I can save time, are there any cap ship fights in any of them? Like, large engagements? Or at least, an attack (or defence) of a formation?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Sneaky bastards ! Releasing it when everbody is out getting drunk ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea