Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918216 times)

Offline Doko

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Here's something amusing I encountered: When playing through WIH's Universal Truth, I had a couple crash issues which caused me to play through it a couple times... on one of my playthroughs (but none of the others!), I ran into something:
Spoiler:
During one of the long tunnel scenes where you run from the Vishnans while listening to Aken's log, instead of hearing him recount his experience with initial Shivan contact, I was treated to Ricardo Laporte talking about how his stupid sister can't handle her drugs, and how she should turn her brain-ship around.

It was hilarious... and very creepy.  :blah:

Hahahahaha I'm so glad that fired for someone. It's a pretty narrow set of conditions.

:eek: :eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek: :eek2:
I must see this!

Offline Doko

Took me a while to find the trigger... it was so worth it, that recording is pure gold!

Offline yomi

Took me a while to find the trigger... it was so worth it, that recording is pure gold!
What's the condition for it to work?

Offline Doko

Spoiler:
bpc-audio3.vp
ricardo4.ogg
I checked the mission in FRED as I've run UT2 multiple times and finding it by chance was gonna take forever. The condition was I think a campaign variable for having met ricardo, might be to visit him every time you are in the dreamscape but not sure, and having sanity < 40 when vishnans chase you

Offline yomi

I don't even remember him in any dreamscape
And I think i talked to everyone  :confused:

Those Nagari firewalls off in the distance look awfully sturdy, I wonder if anything can get through?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline crizza

What kind of brevity code does BP use?
I'm curious because for a warsim I'm conducting right now I worked myself into that of the multiservice tactical brevity code.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's loosely based on NATO but it's a custom language.

Some kind of future code presumably. Just like in FS destroyers are the biggest ships around, so don't worry if they use fox 2 for active radar-guided missiles.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline crizza

True enough :D

It would be awesome, if as some kind of extra the BP code would be releases as an optional extra, but only, if time permits.

Can't seem to find out how to do a spoiler tag so i'll speak in broad terms.

There's a certain option you can click when starting One Future and then you hear something but I can't figure out what. Can anyone help me out?

Offline Darius

Spoiler:
he waits in the cooling ruin.

(Or "one eye closes in the dark"? Cannot remember which one)

Thanks!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Alright, so I've got the BP:DC release from 3.11.15, which packages (except latest proper build and bpc-core.vp) should I download to update it to the latest version? I'm installing it manually. I'd rather re-download entire BPC, but I'm kinda short on my Internet transfer.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

All vps, if you didn't update them after release. :nervous:

Offline CT27

What were the nationalities of the voices of Netreba and Byrne?  I couldn't quite place their accents.

Calder sounded like a Southern officer from the US Civil War to me.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I've done another playthrough during the past days and made a few notes of things I noticed:
- In Cost of War Brie calls Laporte by her first name, although the text says "Laporte".
- In Post Meridian, Simms says "For what it's worth, you did well out here", though the text says "For what it's worth, Ensign Laporte, [...]".
- In Darkest Hour you might either want the Redoubtable destroyable or her engines invulnerable. ;-)
- In The Plunder I would strongly recommend for Alpha wing to attack enemy fighters from the beginning. There is no reason why our fast interceptors waste time on beam cannons while there are gunships around which are better at that job.
- In Aristeia the Hood ramms the GTC Deadly when maneuvering to engage the Toutatis.
- In the Pesedjet mission (name forgotten :D) the support ship behaved very weird, it didn't dock but just flew away from me or any other wingmen that called it in. Probably a generall bug, but I noticed it in that mission.
- In Pawns in a Board of Bone the briefing screen tells you that the Carthage is a Orion Refit. Also, the Antenor goes friendly before you've taken down her Comms. I guess she's supposed to be unknown first.
- In Delenda Est the Carthage is again shown as Orion Refit in the briefing.
- One Future has become quite uncomfortable without auto-lock on the Arquebus. It would be good if its shots would at least go into the middle of my reticle.

Two big points that had me cursing like a mason this time: The Siren and the Medea. I don't know about other players, but I really think that the campaign needs re-balancing here, especially the Medea. Those corvettes are hopelessly overpowered and imba. I'm definitely not the best player around, though I'm not the worst either. But I really couldn't finish The Plunder this time and then resorted to the "jump mission after five fails" for the first time in 15 years. I have no idea how I made it through that mission when I played through the campaign two weeks ago, but this thing is a monster. At least you have Gamma wing to take down her main guns and then can hope for the Indus to take her down.

The Medea is even worse, because Gamma never can take down her beams. I've manipulated the mission in FRED to give me access to the Uriel and Grimmlers and then I could at least save the Auxerre. But only with a Kent + Paveways and Scalpel? No way. And it's not just about the bonus goal, the Medea then opens up on the Anjaneya. Sorry, but this is really too much, in my opinion. If you let me take on such a beast you have to give me something. Give me Grimmlers at least, but those lousy Scalpel and destroyable paveways really feel like sticks and stones. :[

I know that, to a degree, that is supposed to be the case, but I think it's just too much. Especially in The Plunder I feel like the only thing I can do is sit around and hope not to get shredded by one of those warships. This is too little.

Aside from these points, BP stays by far the best mod, the best computer game, I have ever played. The voice acting is excellent and totally lives up to the standard we expect from BP. Especially Calder and Simms deserve prais. Great job! But was Simms really voice acted by a man? :D Oh, and I also like the Auxerre's voice. That "Sweet Fortune, what a jump!" just sounds lovely. I could listen to that a hundred times. :D

Well, according to the lore, the Carthage IS a refitted Orion. New beams, new electronics, new armor, etc., which is the only reason it can keep up with the modern GTVA destroyers. Doesn't look different on the outside, but it's still a refit.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, according to the lore, the Carthage IS a refitted Orion. New beams, new electronics, new armor, etc., which is the only reason it can keep up with the modern GTVA destroyers. Doesn't look different on the outside, but it's still a refit.

No, the Orion Refit in question is the Orion Refit class, i.e. the Sanctuary.  :blah:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I did not know I needed Ricardo Laporte until I met Ricardo Laporte.

Spoiler:
"You Tev bastards come to bomb my planet, but you don't know what you are getting yourselves into, ah? My sister here--you have messed with Noemi Laporte. And she going to stain you Mars-brown with her poop. Here, I mark her ship for you, so you know where the smell come from. Hang on a sec..."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:28:12 am by That Man »