Author Topic: Freespace Open (Linux) crashes when entering ready room  (Read 1763 times)

Offline ace13

Freespace Open (Linux) crashes when entering ready room
As the title says, my Freespace open build crashes when trying to enter the ready room after selecting an existing campaign. Tried with no mods, mediavps and blue planet, same result every time.

The loading screen appears for a short while before the application segmentation faults, here's what GDB says:
Code: [Select]
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x000000000041aa5e in __gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add (__mem=0xfffffffffffffff8, __val=-1) at /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/include/g++-v4/ext/atomicity.h:48
48        { return __sync_fetch_and_add(__mem, __val); }
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000000041aa5e in __gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add (__mem=0xfffffffffffffff8, __val=-1) at /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/include/g++-v4/ext/atomicity.h:48
#1  0x000000000041aaf3 in __gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add_dispatch (__mem=0xfffffffffffffff8, __mem@entry=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7fffffffd648>, __val=-1)
    at /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/include/g++-v4/ext/atomicity.h:81

The fs2_open.log has been attached.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Freespace Open (Linux) crashes when entering ready room
Oh god. Intel Integrated (or mobile, whatever the difference is) with mesa drivers on linux. You're on a hugely bad start right here.

As for the error, shooting in the dark here, but you tried sudo-ing it ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline ace13

To be fair, the game itself is playable when run through the mission simulator. It just crashes when trying to enter the ready room.

And sudo-ing doesn't help in the slightest, any other possible ideas?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Try a new pilot?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ace13

Creating a new pilot doesn't help, I've also tried several other mods and settings.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Interesting. The stack trace is unfortunately of limited help, since it doesn't indicate where in the FSO code the segfault occurred. A quick Google search suggests the problem may be related to strings (SCP_string, maybe?) and possibly also our good friend memset(). Without a stack trace that leads into FSO code, though, it's hard to say.

I'm assuming that you're building from trunk. Could you try building the latest 3.6.14 RC (#6)? Choose "Source Code Export" under the Linux section, and then build it using ./autogen.sh, same as with a checkout from trunk.

If that doesn't work, try building a 3.6.12 source tarball.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is that the entire output from gdb?  I'd normally have expected a lot more levels, including details of the freespace function that was calling the system libraries.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ace13

Right, a quick build from the source code export of 3.6.14 RC6 solved the issue, the game now lets me enter the ready room without crashing. Thanks.

And as a side-note, I found it strange how small the backtrace was as well. The closest I've seen has been when programs crash in a separate thread or fork.