Author Topic: glowmaps/glowpoints (split from FAQ thread)  (Read 3642 times)

glowmaps/glowpoints (split from FAQ thread)
And another thing. Is there anyway that you can turn off all glowmapping? Short of doing it via events in every mission? Cause most of my modded ships dont have glowpoints.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Use the edit buttton next time you're tagging on another question (it makes it easier for me to answer both). :)

Originally posted by Bludlust
So you can't do a cloak event in a mission? You can only do it by cheating?

At the moment yes. Once someone ports the code over to DX8 I'm sure they'll make it possible but at the moment it's unfinished so there isn't much poin in implementing a way to make it work (cause then a campaign would have to specify that it can only be played under OpenGL).

And another thing. Is there anyway that you can turn off all glowmapping? Short of doing it via events in every mission? Cause most of my modded ships dont have glowpoints.

Why would you want to turn it off? Leave it on for those ships that already have it. It won't make those that don't look any worse.
 BTW Glowmaps and Glowpoints are different things. Both have been implemented so you can't use the terms interchangably.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Fair enough. But it does look a little weird. All of the 'older' ships for my campaign look heaps maad with the glowpoints/maps. But the newer ships, which are meant to be more advanced, look dull and boring.

Surely theres got to be an easy way, like setting a new parameter in the launcher or something.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
So you can't do a cloak event in a mission? You can only do it by cheating?

Fire control, target Bludlust ... commence plasma core insertion. Open fire!
:welcome:

Welcome to the HLP. recruit, you are now assigned to the GTD Hard Light. Enjoy your stay.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Fair enough. But it does look a little weird. All of the 'older' ships for my campaign look heaps maad with the glowpoints/maps. But the newer ships, which are meant to be more advanced, look dull and boring.

Surely theres got to be an easy way, like setting a new parameter in the launcher or something.

So learn how to do glowmaps. It's not like they are very hard to make. I'm not being unfair here. All you need to do is load the relavent texture into whatever art package you like and colour anything you don't want to glow black. Shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it.

Glowpoints are a little harder to do cause you need to understand PCS (or aurora if that does them too) but they aren't hideously hard either. Not many ships have glowpoints on them anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
While I'm here, how do you turn shine mapping off? :mad2: Not down. OFF. I have a box where it doesn't render correctly.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
-nospec does it, but it's not in 3.5.5

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by karajorma
So learn how to do glowmaps. It's not like they are very hard to make. I'm not being unfair here. All you need to do is load the relavent texture into whatever art package you like and colour anything you don't want to glow black. Shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it.

Glowpoints are a little harder to do cause you need to understand PCS (or aurora if that does them too) but they aren't hideously hard either. Not many ships have glowpoints on them anyway.

That issue with glowpoints really needs to be addressed too.  At the moment there is what, 4 public ships with glowpoints?  5?  I know there were a couple in CoW (still can't get over that acronym :p), there are a couple of varients to the Ulysses, and I made an arcadia with them, but that's it to my knowledge.  It's definitely a Terran thing (I can't see them on Shivan ships at all, and Vasudan ships are too organic-looking) but we really need people to add them to more cannon and public ships.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think glow-mapping makes glowpoints largely redundant.... in the most part, i think glowmaps are only really useful for stuff like capships or landing lights.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
glow points you mean...?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by aldo_14
I think glow-mapping makes glowpoints largely redundant.... in the most part, i think glowmaps are only really useful for stuff like capships or landing lights.

Ah, but I must disagree [assuming you mean glowpoints].  Glowpoints allow for simple animation.  A single glowpoint that does not blink is not useful, I agree.  But blinking glowpoints allow for running lights, and add a sense of detail that simply isn't possible any other way.  When I took the time to add glowpoints to the Arcadia, I went to great lengths to make sure that they didn't just sit there.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The reason that theres little glow point stuff IMHO is that they look incredibly crappy. If we managed to get a better image for them (not that circle thingy, more like a lense flare :) ) and could get them to fade in and out (with custom %ages), instead of swapping between 0% and 100% transparency they could look good enough for some people to care implementing them.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
If they were treated like particles (fixed to the model) with an assigned glow and texture you could make them a lot more useful.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Okay I've got another question.

I am a FREDer, not a prgrammer, so what attracted me to SCP were the new EVENTS. I was looking to use them in my new campaign, but then the glowpoints and/or maps got in my way.

My question is: Can I remove the VP file containing the SCP effects (and glowpoints/maps), and still retain the SCP events without stuffing up anything else?

*braces to be slapped for stupidity*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 03:06:57 am by 1182 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes.  The media VP is optional.  It's only necessary if you want to enable the features listed in its readme.  Removing it will have no affect on the rest of the features.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Goober5000
-nospec does it, but it's not in 3.5.5

Typical. :rolleyes: Think you could whip up a quick build with it enabled?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...