Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422833 times)

Offline Deneb

• Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Did GOG change their installer?

A more round-a-about way you can do if you'r comfortable is to install FS2 using the GOG installer (make sure not to install into Program Files or other protected OS area.

After than you can run Knossos and simply point it to where GOG installed FS2. It should be able to setup from there.
That seems to have done the trick, thank you. However there isn't a play button for FSO, is this normal? Will it just run the FSO upgraded version of the game if I click play on retail in Knossos?

In case it matters, the exe file I downloaded from GOG had the following name "setup_freespace_2_1.20(32720).exe"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes, that's normal. To play FS2 with updated effects you need to download the MediaVPs mod and run that.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To add info; Knossos differentiates between builds and mods/games. You don't just run an FSO build. You choose a mod/game and Knossos will launch the appropriate build for it automatically.

Go to the Explore Tab to find and download from a huge list of ready-to-play mods. As Mongoose said, if you want to play FS2 with all the bells and whistles, find the MediaVPs mod and install that. Then play it.

Or just click here.

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Deneb

• Steam
Brilliant, thanks for the excellent support guys  :yes:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Glad to help. It's worth noting that Knossos' Settings has a option to hide FSO builds. (At least I think that's available in Knossos 13.3.. if not, it will be eventually.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

:bump:
Bump.

I'm getting a weird error when I try to install a couple different campaigns from Knossos 0.13.3 in Linux Mint.  "A critical error has occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it.  The error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon."

I haven't tried every possible campaign to install yet, but I keep getting it consistently with "The Mantle" and with the recently reuploaded "Friends and Foes" campaigns.  I posted this awhile back in Bomb3rman's release thread, but he isn't sure what could be the problem.

Are these issues actually getting reported to someone somewhere?  Is there anything I can do on my end to help diagnose?  I know Linux is probably not the preferred platform for Knossos or FSO, but for the most part I've been able to get both to work!  Just a couple befuddling exceptions, which is unfortunate because I really like both of these campaigns!  (An aside shout out: if you haven't played Friends and Foes or The Mantle yet, do yourself a favor and DO SO!  Solid, quality missions with good writing and characterization!  And they are fun to play!)
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Are these issues actually getting reported to someone somewhere?
Uh, yeah... about that...

Just sorting through that and figuring out which of those are user mistakes and which are genuine bugs takes a lot of time. And even then it can be hard to figure the root cause out.

Is there anything I can do on my end to help diagnose?
Can you send me your ~/.config/knossos/log.txt?

I know Linux is probably not the preferred platform for Knossos or FSO, [...]
Knossos actually was developed on Linux initially, later on I switched to Windows to fix a few bugs there that I couldn't reproduce on Linux.

@ngld, Sorry.  I could definitely have worded that better.  I am very grateful for any help you have time to give! 

I would love to send you my ~/.config/knossos/log.txt  Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is.  I've been using Windows my whole life, and I only switched this PC over to Linux a few months ago.  I've tried searching my local drive for "Knossos" but the only hits I'm getting that are directories are inside my ~:/usr/share/knossos/ directories.  And all of those are *.PY files (because Knossos was written in Python?), no "log.txt" to be found.  I've tried hunting around to see if I can find it on my own, but I'm just not familiar enough with how Linux does these things yet.  My intuition for nosing around in a MS OS is not helping me here.

Does Linux Mint store configuration / log files in a different place than Ubuntu, maybe?
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The ~ is a shortcut that means your home directory. 

If you're running Mint 19, you should be able to open that file by doing the following:

Open "Text Editor"
File -> Open
Press CTRL-H to see hidden files
Open .config/knossos/log.txt

Now; not that I want to disagree with ngld, but I can't actually find that file on my Mint 19 system :) For me it's at ~/.knossos/log.txt; but everything else is the same for finding it there instead.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thanks, niffiwan!  I did not know about CTRL-H to show hidden files.  It is going to take me awhile to get used to this.

I found the Log.txt file exactly where ngld said it would be.

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.13.3 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.8 (default, Oct  7 2019, 12:59:55)
[GCC 8.3.0].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.1  11 Sep 2018
WARNING:MainThread:integration.init: Failed to specify Unity version. Most likely Unity is not available.
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: No desktop integration active.
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "Wings of Dawn Builds" 17.0.1 (fso-wod)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180302 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180419 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20171029 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180924 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180921 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180929 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190306 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190309 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190313 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190322 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190323 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190324 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190329 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190402 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190406 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190407 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20190728 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
ERROR:MainThread:manager.transform: 'Spec' object has no attribute 'specs'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/raven/utils/serializer/manager.py", line 76, in transform
    return repr(value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 486, in __repr__
    return '<Spec: %r>' % (self.specs,)
AttributeError: 'Spec' object has no attribute 'specs'
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/raven/utils/serializer/manager.py", line 76, in transform
    return repr(value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 486, in __repr__
ERROR:MainThread:manager.transform: 'SpecItem' object has no attribute 'kind'
    return repr(value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 436, in __repr__
    return '<SpecItem: %s %r>' % (self.kind, self.spec)
AttributeError: 'SpecItem' object has no attribute 'kind'
ERROR:MainThread:launcher.my_excepthook: UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION!
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/web.py", line 284, in install
    windows.ModInstallWindow(mod, pkgs)
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/windows.py", line 567, in __init__
    self.show_packages()
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/windows.py", line 585, in show_packages
    all_pkgs = center.mods.process_pkg_selection(pkgs)
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/repo.py", line 336, in process_pkg_selection
    deps = pkg.resolve_deps()
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/repo.py", line 738, in resolve_deps
    version = util.Spec(version)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in __init__
    subspecs = [self.parse(spec) for spec in specs_strings]
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/util.py", line 886, in parse
    res.append(semantic_version.SpecItem(spec_text))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 393, in __init__
    kind, spec = self.parse(requirement_string)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 408, in parse
    raise ValueError("Invalid requirement specification: %r" % requirement_string)
ValueError: Invalid requirement specification: '==~1.0.5-'
    return repr(value)
    return repr(value)
ERROR:MainThread:manager.transform: 'SpecItem' object has no attribute 'kind'
    return repr(value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 436, in __repr__
    return '<SpecItem: %s %r>' % (self.kind, self.spec)
AttributeError: 'SpecItem' object has no attribute 'kind'
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/web.py", line 284, in install
    windows.ModInstallWindow(mod, pkgs)
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/windows.py", line 567, in __init__
    self.show_packages()
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/windows.py", line 585, in show_packages
    all_pkgs = center.mods.process_pkg_selection(pkgs)
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/repo.py", line 336, in process_pkg_selection
    deps = pkg.resolve_deps()
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/repo.py", line 738, in resolve_deps
    version = util.Spec(version)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in __init__
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/util.py", line 886, in parse
    res.append(semantic_version.SpecItem(spec_text))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 393, in __init__
    kind, spec = self.parse(requirement_string)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/semantic_version/base.py", line 408, in parse
    raise ValueError("Invalid requirement specification: %r" % requirement_string)
ValueError: Invalid requirement specification: '==~3.7.2-'
INFO:Thread-2:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/48/56/147210a6a8269175356ebb134a98baaad6f4f59eb2c90f6b814925a655fe"...
INFO:Thread-5:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/55/c5/e2b74a12e9ec1cfc648cce4462159ef07721fd3f64ac5836b6eb171c90f1"...
INFO:Thread-4:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/42/85/9696f86b55e88ac19671c1107af59996877c91f1faac8e19b55a4cc4b7ed"...
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/ef/4a/63d84b8cb382c10a5d3bca6eb61ff6aeae75d6735ba5fa18d1dac4cd08f1"...
WARNING:Thread-4:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/music/AlbumArtSmall.jpg" from archive "BTA_Music.7z" for package "BTA_Music" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-4:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Music.7z" for package "BTA_Music" (Between The Ashes)!
INFO:Thread-3:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/1b/d0/146cca8c8bd5e9259136369b4f66bea731cf176d9563d841174e83f9f214"...
WARNING:Thread-10:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/voice/briefing/bta1_d1_01_br01.ogg" from archive "BTA_Voice.7z" for package "BTA_Voice" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-10:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Voice.7z" for package "BTA_Voice" (Between The Ashes)!
INFO:Thread-7:util.download: Downloading "https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/nebula/a3/28/943ab1ef2127dba33e4efff2c7337b0a0f7850110b9640a798a0763be246"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/nebula/28/a4/9953490c958416045d861d7acbc411e0be1151db830f53e238da4e25f66a"...
WARNING:Thread-7:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/config/axmessage.cfg" from archive "BTA_Core.7z" for package "BTA_Core" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-7:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Core.7z" for package "BTA_Core" (Between The Ashes)!
INFO:Thread-8:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/b7/2d/fb024389352d54e9e53b14ae6b69f1c609f26f4c66ca4ac88f558617725f"...
WARNING:Thread-2:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/cbanims/cb_default.ani" from archive "BTA_Root.7z" for package "BTA_Root" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-2:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Root.7z" for package "BTA_Root" (Between The Ashes)!
WARNING:Thread-1:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/maps/AlphCent_back6.dds" from archive "BTA_Advanced.7z" for package "BTA_Advanced" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-1:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Advanced.7z" for package "BTA_Advanced" (Between The Ashes)!
WARNING:Thread-8:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/movies/Collapse.mp4" from archive "BTA_Movies.7z" for package "BTA_Movies" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-8:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Movies.7z" for package "BTA_Movies" (Between The Ashes)!
WARNING:Thread-5:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/maps/afc_dvorak.dds" from archive "BTA_Maps.7z" for package "BTA_Maps" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-5:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Maps.7z" for package "BTA_Maps" (Between The Ashes)!
WARNING:Thread-3:tasks.work2: Missing file "data/cbanims/2_cb_aflogo.png" from archive "BTA_Anims1.7z" for package "BTA_Anims1" (Between The Ashes)!
ERROR:Thread-3:tasks.work2: Failed to unpack archive "BTA_Anims1.7z" for package "BTA_Anims1" (Between The Ashes)!
  File "/usr/share/knossos/knossos/tasks.py", line 385, in finish
    'Please run a file integrity check or reinstall (uninstall + install) it.' % title
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

During this run of Knossos, I first tried to install the Friends and Foes mod.  Got the error message previously described.  Then tried Mantle.  Ditto.  Then I tried to repair the install of Between the Ashes v 1.2.2.  That may be a completely unrelated issue entirely.  Not sure.  mjn.mixael is already looking into that on the following thread, I just figured I'd go ahead and try and capture what's going on in the same log.txt in case it would be helpful.  As far as I know, these are unrelated.

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92701.msg1888382#msg1888382

Thanks for the help so far.  Anything else I can do to help from my end?
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline cloneof

Has anyone had any success with Debian with Knossos?

One would intuitively think that it would have a high compatibility out of the box, but I just kept looking at those repository command. If had a bad time with adding to the repository list when it doesn't say Debian compatibility out of the box.

Any comment from an experienced user would be appreciated. Would love to install The Babylon Project again, but I just don't have enough years under my belt to start another fight with the terminal : D.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do a complete clean slate reinstall of Knossos onto a Linux Mint 19.2 system?  I'm convinced something has gone wrong with this installation.  I must have done something wrong.  I'm only able to download and install roughly half of the mods on the Explore tab.  The rest give me error messages.  Even mods I was previously able to download are not allowing me to anymore.

So, short of reformatting my hard drive and REALLY going full scorched earth, what is the best way to remove Knossos any any traces of settings it might leave behind so I can truly start over from scratch?
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

I've been trying to install the retail using the GoG installer, but it gives me an error.

I'm using Manjaro

Edit: It seems to have worked when I installed through Lutris.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:05:00 pm by Vida_Aceptada »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I am getting the same error as Vida on Windows. Should I log a ticket on the GitHub repository or is it already logged?

I think the recent addition of Polish into the installer broke the process.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:08:21 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

For some reason Knossos can't launch FSO-19.0.0-RC1 at all, just get a brief FSO IS LAUNCHING... and that's it.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
For some reason Knossos can't launch FSO-19.0.0-RC1 at all, just get a brief FSO IS LAUNCHING... and that's it.
I believe this can occur if you do not have either RC's or Nightlies selected in your "Preferred Engine Stability" in the Knossos options.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do a complete clean slate reinstall of Knossos onto a Linux Mint 19.2 system?  I'm convinced something has gone wrong with this installation.  I must have done something wrong.  I'm only able to download and install roughly half of the mods on the Explore tab.  The rest give me error messages.  Even mods I was previously able to download are not allowing me to anymore.

So, short of reformatting my hard drive and REALLY going full scorched earth, what is the best way to remove Knossos any any traces of settings it might leave behind so I can truly start over from scratch?
So, I've been trying to figure this out for over a month now, and I'm no closer now than when I started.  For some reason I cannot figure out, I am getting the following error message whenever I try to install certain mods, "A critical error has occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it.  The error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon."

This is happening for Blue Planet, Friends and Foes, Shadow Genesis, Between the Ashes, Trimurti, The Mantle, Derelict, Bolitho Command and The Last Stand, Exile, JAD 2.21 and 2.22, Uncharted Territory, among others.  Can anyone help me figure out what on earth could be going on and how to make it stop?  Here is a copy of my .config/knossos/log.txt.

Seriously at my wit's end and need help.  I've done everything I can think of short of reformating the hard drive to give Knossos a fresh install.  Sudo apt-get purge knossos, followed by sudo apt autoremove to get rid of orphaned configuration files.  Wipe out the FreespaceOpen directory... none of it works.  I have to reinstall Knossos, sure, but it is still acting like it has all of the old settings.  First time I ran Knossos after I installed Linux, it ran me through an introduction wizard.  It isn't doing that now.  What's more, it seems like every campaign I successfully download and play is not something I can get to install next go around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I hear you, Knossos is pretty broken on my Mint 19 install as well, IIRC I can't use the explore tab and I can't update anything on the home tab. I suspect there's a bug somewhere in the code (hopefully client side; not server side otherwise I doubt there's anything I can do) but I haven't summoned up the motivation to investigate it yet.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you are logged in and have any private mod access I suspect it's the same issue I have, I think it affects all platforms.  I can't view the Explore tab on Windows or macOS now.  Haven't really been able to use Knossos since that started happening.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I don’t have a login or any developer access. Sounds like this may be more complicated than I thought!  :(
Rejoice."
-David Bazan