Author Topic: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated February 3 2018  (Read 28895 times)

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated March 13 2017
 :nervous:

(It was a force of habit)

Offline ThatGuy

Could you try putting the attached table in something like mediavps_2014/data/tables/ (make the folders if its not already made). I can't quite test it since I don't have a 4k setup, but this should force scaling if the screen resolution is above 1920x1080 (I mean that's all the table is, a single line that says that :p). Let me know if it works and I'll add it to the packages.

Nope, doesn't work (with proper name). I'm running 3.7.2, not any nightlies. Perhaps it was fixed in one?

EDIT: The table does work on the regular freespace HUD though...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:32:58 pm by ThatGuy »

3.7.2 is like 3 years out of date, why are you using it? Use 3.8 RC1 of you don't want to use a nightly.
$Force Scaling Above: is a 3.7.4 flag, so no wonder it doesn't work on 3.7.2.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated June 3 2017
Well there's that and AdmiralRalwood was looking at the Force Scaling Above code and due to the full moon being out of alignment with Aries, and it turns out that specific modular table wouldn't do anything anyway in this instance... But I added the line to all the other HUD packages (in a way it should work) so try that (with 3.7.4 or 3.8.0 RC) and see if its any better.

Offline ThatGuy

3.7.2 is like 3 years out of date, why are you using it? Use 3.8 RC1 of you don't want to use a nightly.
$Force Scaling Above: is a 3.7.4 flag, so no wonder it doesn't work on 3.7.2.

Well there's that and AdmiralRalwood was looking at the Force Scaling Above code and due to the full moon being out of alignment with Aries, and it turns out that specific modular table wouldn't do anything anyway in this instance... But I added the line to all the other HUD packages (in a way it should work) so try that (with 3.7.4 or 3.8.0 RC) and see if its any better.

Oh I made a mistake, I am on 3.7.4, don't know why I put 2 there  :blah:

The newest VPs work, there's a very mild blurriness (expected) but it looks great, thanks Axem! Only really notice the sharpness difference when you see the custom gauge next to the other elements like in pic #2. The custom message gauge still doesn't scale however, which makes the text size too small to read while playing.

Offline Axem

Ah well, that's too bad. Maybe once 3.8 comes out I can do something about that.

The problem there is I can't draw scaled up text like the rest of the hud for the scripted message gauge, so its stuck being so tiny. With 3.8 there's new TTF font support, so I might be able to do start drawing some bigger and better looking text there.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Alternatively, it might be sensible to give scripts a "draw to HUD" functionality of some sort, that would be automatically scaled with the rest of it...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

Actually if I could get like a gr.drawScaledString() function then it would solve the major problem. I can scale bitmaps no problem, but if I can't scale the text then what's the point.

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE - The Lost 2_ HUD: Rebuilt! - Updated February 3 2018
Small updates made to the packages.

First a unicode mode option added to the config file. Add that and set it to true if you are using unicode ttf fonts.
Next, some slight optimizations for the backlog gauge! May improve FPS slightly.

(See I was never culling the backlog so as the mission went on, the game was trying to draw more and more lines since the backlog was getting longer and longer even though it was getting drawn off the drawable area)

Offline SL1

Would it be possible to make a version of this that puts the message box and talking head just above the radar, similar to the Blue Planet HUD? I find that their current position can make them a bit too distracting when there's a lot of action going on.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been looking for a way to modify the HUD to use a Diaspora-style pipper gunsight instead of the traditional lead indicator. Is that something that could be added as an option for this mod, or something I could easily add myself with a small tweak?

Offline Axem

I can make that version where the text is lower, just above the radar. Gimme a day or so to get it together for you.

But the alternate firing reticle is something that you would need to mod in. I'm not 100% sure how it works, might need to do some research on how that works.

Offline SL1

I can make that version where the text is lower, just above the radar. Gimme a day or so to get it together for you.

Thanks!

But the alternate firing reticle is something that you would need to mod in. I'm not 100% sure how it works, might need to do some research on how that works.

All right, I'll try looking around some more. I did find this on the wiki, but I don't really know what to do with it. This is the first time I've tried to actually mod the game myself instead of just playing campaigns or dabbling in FRED, so I'm stumbling around a bit. I don't know if that part of the wiki tells you anything new or not, but I figured I'd mention it just in case it turns out to be helpful.

Offline Axem

Okay so here's the BP-style hud mod. It's a little larger than the other ones because I wanted it to work seamlessly with BP as well. That's why the text for the gauge is Arial (just like BP).

And there's a leadsight mod. It doesn't remove the other recticle, due to the way that modular hud gauges are designed. Basically gauges all just stack up on each other, there's no easy way to remove a default gauge. Note, it seems to be stuck as a green gauge, I don't know why... Also I took Diaspora's graphic for the leadsight.

Shouldn't leadsight color be tied to target IFF just like the lead reticle? As for "removing" gauges you can totally do it in tbms either by setting their coordinates way offscreen or using a completely transparent 1x1 .png image. The first "+lead indicator" table entry will overwrite the retail gauge so you can just set that up to use an empty png to disable it(because AFAIK you can't actually change its position).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline SL1

Okay so here's the BP-style hud mod. It's a little larger than the other ones because I wanted it to work seamlessly with BP as well. That's why the text for the gauge is Arial (just like BP).

And there's a leadsight mod. It doesn't remove the other recticle, due to the way that modular hud gauges are designed. Basically gauges all just stack up on each other, there's no easy way to remove a default gauge. Note, it seems to be stuck as a green gauge, I don't know why... Also I took Diaspora's graphic for the leadsight.

Much appreciated. Thanks. I have to admit that I'm not sure changing the text was necessary, but you know this stuff much better than I do.

The lead sight is actually red for me. This is a bit of a problem, because it can tend to blend in with the target box, the missile lock indicator, the old lead indicator, and the target itself if it has a lot of red on it like Shivans do. It's also a little too dark, but I can mitigate that by turning on high HUD contrast. If you figure out why yours is green, please let me know, because I think that would be an improvement. Aside from that, I really like how the sight works.

These new versions also don't work for the FSPort, but I'm sure you already knew that. I hope you can make an FSPort version at some point.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Shouldn't leadsight color be tied to target IFF just like the lead reticle?

Mine is red even if I'm targeting a friendly. Ideally, I'd say it should match the color you set your crosshair to in the HUD config menu.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:54:44 am by SL1 »

Offline Axem

Shouldn't leadsight color be tied to target IFF just like the lead reticle? As for "removing" gauges you can totally do it in tbms either by setting their coordinates way offscreen or using a completely transparent 1x1 .png image. The first "+lead indicator" table entry will overwrite the retail gauge so you can just set that up to use an empty png to disable it(because AFAIK you can't actually change its position).

I don't know what sets the leadsight color. I tried using a color override to (192,0,0) and it didn't do anything.

And are you sure removing a gauge like that works? I seem to recall the game just adding new gauges if a new one is defined, there is no overriding. I remember more than a few "double hud" bugs in BP because BP had its own hud gauge tbm that was differently named than the MediaVPs hud gauge tbm, so the game just combined the two. The problem only went away after BP renamed their hud gauge table so the game overrides the entire file. (And I was told that was intended behavior)

These new versions also don't work for the FSPort, but I'm sure you already knew that. I hope you can make an FSPort version at some point.

Well here's the thing. I don't really want to keep making a bunch of configurations that are all slightly different. I'm fine with an FS1 style, and an FS2 style. BP, sure they have their own style that people might like (that's why the font changed so its 100% compatible with BP). But if I do FS1 but its like BP a bit, then its more to support. If you feel daring, feel free to take a look in the mod files yourself and see how they all fit together and see if you can get it working. You just need a VP editor and a text editor to make changes.

Offline SL1

Well here's the thing. I don't really want to keep making a bunch of configurations that are all slightly different. I'm fine with an FS1 style, and an FS2 style. BP, sure they have their own style that people might like (that's why the font changed so its 100% compatible with BP). But if I do FS1 but its like BP a bit, then its more to support. If you feel daring, feel free to take a look in the mod files yourself and see how they all fit together and see if you can get it working. You just need a VP editor and a text editor to make changes.

Good point. I just want to make some small changes, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Sorry if I came across as demanding.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:29:50 pm by SL1 »

Overriding works(I've done it quite a lot in my personal installs to change radar size), that's why you can change retail HUD elements through mvps -hdg.tbm. But it only works for the first gauge of that type loaded in a tbm, with how priority works in FSO that would almost always be the one in the secondary mod(usually MediaVPs).

That's why you can change how the retail radar/ab gauge/whatever looks but if you try to change that changed look with another tbm you'll get gauge doubling.

Color overrides do nothing for the lead indicator(Font, Filename, and Center Offsets are the only supported flags) and they should probably do nothing for the lead sight as well.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
with how priority works in FSO that would almost always be the one in the secondary mod(usually MediaVPs).
The 2014 MediaVPs don't define any HUD gauges.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

BP's gauge doubling problem must've been from the 3612 era then.