Author Topic: optimal gfx card for FSO  (Read 9069 times)

Re: optimal gfx card for FSO
bloated: what do you have for a CPU and what do you have for memory?

Also, you mentioned power consumption. What is the brand and model of your power supply? Please answer these questions because it's extremely important to make sure your system isn't going to bottleneck your new video card. More important than that, it's absolutely critical to make sure that your power supply is up to the task of the much-higher demand that you are about to put on it. It's not just about the power supply's capacity, but it's also about its quality. So, I need to know what CPU you have, what memory you have, and most importantly, what PSU you have (brand and model). I'd hate to see you end up wasting your money on a video card that you can't even (or shouldn't) put into your system.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
what the hell, I just lost my progress in FS2 and all of my joystick settings are gone, is this a common problem?
No, it isn't. Did something happen to your /data/players/ folder?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Check c:\users\<username>\Appdata\local\Virtual Store\

Offline bloated

while playing the FS2 campaign I decided to take a look at Blue Planet, I suspect trying to start that mod killed my FS2 progress.
Also, you mentioned power consumption. What is the brand and model of your power supply? Please answer these questions because it's extremely important to make sure your system isn't going to bottleneck your new video card. More important than that, it's absolutely critical to make sure that your power supply is up to the task of the much-higher demand that you are about to put on it. It's not just about the power supply's capacity, but it's also about its quality. So, I need to know what CPU you have, what memory you have, and most importantly, what PSU you have (brand and model).
AMD X6 Vishera cpu running 4500mhz (stock is 3500), Asus Sabertooth mobo, 16gb's of 1600mhz G.Skill, 550watt NAXN psu, 250gb Samsung 840 series SSD.

it's no rocket but it does the job required and the Enermax PSU should be fine even for the R9 290X.

A friend is debating buying an R9 290X and selling me his HD 7970 for $75.00, I was going to order the R9 290X myself but if I can nab the 79xx for $75 I won't bother.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:18:23 am by bloated »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
while playing the FS2 campaign I decided to take a look at Blue Planet, I suspect trying to start that mod killed my FS2 progress.
It definitely shouldn't; I switch between the FS2 campaign and Blue Planet regularly without losing progress in either.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline bloated

then it's a mystery to me as well.

on  a side note, atm no alternate campaigns will run, I get nothing but error reports which I assume is the result of me not doing something.

I'm also unable to get the 2014 media vp's to run, but to be clear I haven't seriously looked into it, I saw something about extracting in the readme but went to bed before I finished exploring it with the intentions of revisiting later.

I can't believe what little time I've got... bloody work and Xmas ='s busy.

Also, you mentioned power consumption. What is the brand and model of your power supply? Please answer these questions because it's extremely important to make sure your system isn't going to bottleneck your new video card. More important than that, it's absolutely critical to make sure that your power supply is up to the task of the much-higher demand that you are about to put on it. It's not just about the power supply's capacity, but it's also about its quality. So, I need to know what CPU you have, what memory you have, and most importantly, what PSU you have (brand and model).
AMD X6 Vishera cpu running 4500mhz (stock is 3500), Asus Sabertooth mobo, 16gb's of 1600mhz G.Skill, 550watt NAXN psu, 250gb Samsung 840 series SSD.

it's no rocket but it does the job required and the Enermax PSU should be fine even for the R9 290X.

A friend is debating buying an R9 290X and selling me his HD 7970 for $75.00, I was going to order the R9 290X myself but if I can nab the 79xx for $75 I won't bother.

The R9 290X can be a waste of money because you can get the R9 290 and overclock it a little, thereby getting equal or superior performance to the 290X. The 290X is really just an overclocked 290. You can also consider an R9 280 or 285; you'd still get killer performance with FS2 completely maxed out, getting a constant 60 FPS with very very low frametimes (under 20ms at all times).

Anyway, you're right that the 550W NAXN isn't  that bad. There are definitely much-better 550W PSUs out there, but at least you don't have a junker that would need to be replaced ASAP. If you have plans to overclock your CPU though, then I would have to recommend replacing the PSU with a higher-quality 550W unit first.

then it's a mystery to me as well.

on  a side note, atm no alternate campaigns will run, I get nothing but error reports which I assume is the result of me not doing something.

I'm also unable to get the 2014 media vp's to run, but to be clear I haven't seriously looked into it, I saw something about extracting in the readme but went to bed before I finished exploring it with the intentions of revisiting later.

I can't believe what little time I've got... bloody work and Xmas ='s busy.

I recommend making a new thread in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support. They will be able to help for sure.

For now, what way are you trying to install it and run it? Personally, I find the best results using FreeSpace Installer to install everything and FS2 Open Launcher ("launcher.exe" in your C:\Games\FreeSpace 2" folder) to launch play the game and select Mods - as well as customize various aspects like graphics and whatnot before launching the game. Everything is much easier this way.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:37:41 pm by TwoCables »

Offline bloated

the cpu is already overclocked and has been running fine since the Vishera cpu's were released, if I'm going to pay for an R9 290 I may as well get the 290X given both consume the same power which is my main holdback from getting them in the first place.  That said you are correct and I have seriously looked into the R9 285 and R9 280's.  I just got an update today that my friend did order an Asus Direct CUII R9 290X and is looking to sell me his HD 7970 for less than $100, I will have to wait until after Xmas to get it (waiting for his new card to arrive and we'll hook up at work) but I've already said I'd take it.

as for the installation and launching issues, the games have all been downloaded and are in the appropriate folders, I still haven't had the time to see if their is a simple fix (which I suspect their is), as I type this my wife is asking me what's going on.  Just no time atm.

gotta go & thx for the help.

Edit: this is a premature post submission due to somehow accidentally pressing the keyboard shortcut for submitting a post.

the cpu is already overclocked and has been running fine since the Vishera cpu's were released

Oh, that's so my fault; I was in a hurry and even though I read "4500 MHz (stock is 3500)", I saw "at stock". I apologize.

Anyway, if you upgrade, then you might have to restabilize your overclock. Presently, your computer never pulls any more than about 60-65% of your PSU's total capacity. If you upgrade to either a 290, 290X, or a 7970, then your power consumption would easily reach 80-85% of your PSU's total capacity. That's actually a huge change (some people might not think so), especially with an overclocked CPU (overclocked by 1 GHz).

if I'm going to pay for an R9 290 I may as well get the 290X given both consume the same power which is my main holdback from getting them in the first place.  That said you are correct and I have seriously looked into the R9 285 and R9 280's.  I just got an update today that my friend did order an Asus Direct CUII R9 290X and is looking to sell me his HD 7970 for less than $100, I will have to wait until after Xmas to get it (waiting for his new card to arrive and we'll hook up at work) but I've already said I'd take it.

as for the installation and launching issues, the games have all been downloaded and are in the appropriate folders, I still haven't had the time to see if their is a simple fix (which I suspect their is), as I type this my wife is asking me what's going on.  Just no time atm.

gotta go & thx for the help.

You're welcome.

Yeah, let's wait until after the holidays so that it's easier to relax.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:01:52 am by TwoCables »

Offline bloated

Anyway, if you upgrade, then you might have to restabilize your overclock. Presently, your computer never pulls any more than about 60-65% of your PSU's total capacity. If you upgrade to either a 290, 290X, or a 7970, then your power consumption would easily reach 80-85% of your PSU's total capacity. That's actually a huge change (some people might not think so), especially with an overclocked CPU (overclocked by 1 GHz).
I highly doubt I'll have a problem.

I can't find the article but a website a cppl years ago used an overclocked Sandy Bridge cpu, multiple platter hard drives and the highest end Nvidia gfx cards in SLI, with a 550watt psu.  they then ran software to stress the hdd's, the cpu and the gfx's cards all at the same time and left it rolling for days until they decided it wasn't going to have a problem.  I wish I could find that article and will look for it after this.

I think it was the Register or Fudzilla, but can't find it.

I highly doubt I'll have a problem.

I can't find the article but a website a cppl years ago used an overclocked Sandy Bridge cpu, multiple platter hard drives and the highest end Nvidia gfx cards in SLI, with a 550watt psu.  they then ran software to stress the hdd's, the cpu and the gfx's cards all at the same time and left it rolling for days until they decided it wasn't going to have a problem.  I wish I could find that article and will look for it after this.

I think it was the Register or Fudzilla, but can't find it.
I'm not saying that you will; I'm just saying that it's a possibility due to the fact that a huge change to the power consumption is about to be made. I've seen it before many times, including my own computer (a lesson learned...). A simple change to the power consumption can change the stability of the power that the PSU is delivering to your computer (particularly the ripple and the voltage regulation), and this change can easily destabilize an otherwise stable overclocked system (the quality of a PSU's power output varies depending on how much power it's delivering). It can also destabilize a system that's at stock in slightly more extreme cases, and/or in cases where the PSU is just that crappy. This is also why coil whine can either disappear or reappear when changing the power consumption either with increased or decreased load, or with the change of a major component like a video card. With the exception of coil whine because it's highly unpredictable (it's due to one simple design "flaw" that even the best PSUs can have), some people never experience these things due to having a PSU that is so well-designed that it has extremely low ripple and extremely tight voltage regulation almost throughout the entire range of its output capacity. Some PSUs have very obvious sweet spots and very obvious sour spots in the range of their output capacity (from 0 to 100%, that is). Some PSUs are so bad that the entire range 0 to 100% is sour, plagued with very high ripple and loose voltage regulation, among other problems with the PSU. Such PSUs are to be avoided at all costs, even for simple office computers. I can think of one manufacturer right off the bat who makes PSUs like that: Diablotek. Of course, there's also LC-Power, Logisys, Athena, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, so yeah, PSUs aren't all the same. Just because one 550W PSU does fine in some professional review site's a test, it doesn't mean that ALL 550W PSUs will just because they have the "550W" rating (plus, some review sites shouldn't be testing PSUs due to their lack of knowledge and proper testing equipment). For one thing, such tests are always extremely short tests which can be very unrealistic in the real world where a person uses their computer several hours per day at nearly full load for more than just a couple of years straight. I'm not saying that yours is crappy or anything or that you will definitely have some sort of problem when you install the new card, but I'm just cautioning you that yours isn't the greatest that Enermax has ever built (and yeah, they do make their own), and that you're making a big change to the power consumption and your CPU is overclocked by 1 GHz (not exactly a small overclock). All of this can mean that you need to be aware that you might not have a 100% smooth and uneventful upgrade. I don't remember THAT much about your PSU, but I do remember learning that I would never include it in a list of PSUs that I'm recommending to a new buyer if they're overclocking. If they're keeping everything at stock, then maybe. Of course, the market has also changed quite a bit as well, so yeah. :)

I realize how this paragraph will sound here, but I feel that I should say it: I'm very well-known on Overclock.net as a PSU "guru" or "expert". That's not ME saying so; that's what many of the members have said and STILL say (not that I'm agreeing with them - I'm essentially making an observation). All I'm trying to do is assure you that I'm not just some random troll or something, that I really do know what I'm talking about (5+ years on Overclock.net, 12+ hours per day because I don't have much else that I want to do). Again, I'm not saying that you'll definitely have problems. I'm just saying, be aware that there is a chance that this won't be just a simple upgrade, that there's a chance you might have to restabilize your overclock due to making such a big change to the power consumption.I don't know if it's a small chance or a big chance though.

There's one more thing to consider: how stable your system really is. In my own experience and also in the years and thousands of hours that I've spent on Overclock.net, I have learned that a system can be so close to being unstable that making the slightest change can destabilize everything, including making a tiny upgrade from like say a GTS 450 to a GTX 460. I've seen it too many times where someone comes to OCN complaining that they have had no problems whatsoever for the past year or two (or maybe for the past several months), but now after making a GPU upgrade (big or small), they're having nothing but problems. This usually happens to people who decided to take shortcuts when testing the stability of their system; they either felt that a true test of their stability is the daily real-world use of it, not some test like Prime95, OR they weren't told how to properly and thoroughly test the stability (some so-called "expert" gave them bad advice). Either that, or they just didn't have the patience or the time or whatever, and therefore disregarded very good advice. I've had plenty of arguments about this with people who are overclocking for the first time. I've had times where I've gotten into a big argument just because I told the person to make sure their system can withstand a 24-hour test in Prime95 using Prime95's "Custom" Blend test with 80-85% of their memory manually entered into the "memory to use" field. Sometimes the response I get is more or less like, "That's ridiculous and major overkill. I'm just going to be gaming on this computer." So what do they do instead? Some do 30 minutes to as much as 2 hours (I hate that!). Some do about 6-8 hours. Some just ignore my advice entirely and rely on how well their system does in real-world use (I hate this the most, of course). 9 times out of 10 though, these same people come back a few weeks or a few months later complaining that their system used to be "perfectly stable", but now it's not. Not to be a jerk, but I always think to myself, "Gee, I wonder why." If I can convince them at this point to get their computer to withstand such a "ridiculous" and "overkill" stress test, then their problems magically disappear and they express concern that their CPU has degraded and now it needs a higher core voltage just to be stable again. Facepalm. Wrong. The problem is that their system wasn't actually stable to begin with. Just because an overclocked system isn't experiencing any problems in real-world use, it doesn't mean that it's truly stable.

Anyway, I've babbled on enough, and I sincerely apologize for that. However, this can be very important! Y'know? It can be extremely stressful and aggravating when you're faced with the inability to use your computer just because it keeps locking up on you or BSODing - especially when all you're trying to do is enjoy your very limited free time!

Having said all that, it's obviously best to wait and see what happens when this bridge is finally crossed. All I'm doing is making sure you're aware that the crossing of this bridge can mean that you will have to drop everything for a little bit to restabilize your computer before you can enjoy what's on the other side of that bridge. This way, if it happens, you won't immediately suspect that your new video card is defective; you'll remember what I said here, and you'll get right to work on restabilizing it. It won't be a surprise or a big deal.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:57:36 pm by TwoCables »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Thread bookmarked.

Offline bloated

There's one more thing to consider: how stable your system really is. In my own experience and also in the years and thousands of hours that I've spent on Overclock.net, I have learned that a system can be so close to being unstable that making the slightest change can destabilize everything, including making a tiny upgrade from like say a GTS 450 to a GTX 460.
let's explore this for a moment.

I have the system I've got and I'm going to upgrade the gfx, I'm going to do this buy buying a video card and replacing the one in the system now.... I'll download the latest drivers ahead of time so that once installed I can get it running straight away, I'm not going to wipe my system, I'm not going to do a driver cleaning.  I'm going to replace the card and turn the system on then see what happens.

While you are correct in saying I might experience an issue or issues the real question is what would you do ahead of time?

1: Would you pull the powersupply and replace it ahead of time? (not in the cards)
2: Would you buy a more capable powersupply ahead of time just in case when their is a 99% chance it's not needed? (not in the cards)

or would you do what I'm about to do, get the gfx card & see what happens.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:52:33 pm by bloated »

There's one more thing to consider: how stable your system really is. In my own experience and also in the years and thousands of hours that I've spent on Overclock.net, I have learned that a system can be so close to being unstable that making the slightest change can destabilize everything, including making a tiny upgrade from like say a GTS 450 to a GTX 460.
let's explore this for a moment.

I have the system I've got and I'm going to upgrade the gfx, I'm going to do this buy buying a video card and replacing the one in the system now.... I'll download the latest drivers ahead of time so that once installed I can get it running straight away, I'm not going to wipe my system, I'm not going to do a driver cleaning.  I'm going to replace the card and turn the system on then see what happens.

While you are correct in saying I might experience an issue or issues the real question is what would you do ahead of time?

1: Would you pull the powersupply and replace it ahead of time? (not in the cards)
2: Would you buy a more capable powersupply ahead of time just in case when their is a 99% chance it's not needed? (not in the cards)

or would you do what I'm about to do, get the gfx card & see what happens.

If I had a lot of money to throw around, then I think I'd replace the PSU with a much newer and higher quality one... Hmm. Maybe (just the act of saying this makes me feel a little different about it for some reason). I don't have much money though, so I'd have to take my chances and expect that I might have to spend some time restabilizing my system (making changes in the BIOS, running Prime95, rinse and repeat). Actually, even with a brand new high-quality PSU, I would still be worried about it because that's still a huge variable that's being changed, and the system is presently stable for its current configuration. It remains to be seen if it's going to be stable enough for the new configuration.

In terms of the driver though, I think that I would do this on the day of the upgrade:

1. Uninstall PhysX in the Programs and Features control panel (a restart is not required or requested, so do this first)
2. Uninstall the NVIDIA Graphics Driver in the Programs and Features control panel and DON'T restart yet
3. Close all windows and programs (like if you have a browser open or something like that) and Reboot into Safe Mode
4. Open Driver Sweeper 3.2.0: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html (when you open it, select "NVIDIA - Display" and "NVIDIA - PhysX" and then click "Clean")
5. Open DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller): http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ (when you open it, make sure NVIDIA is selected, then click "Clean and DO NOT restart" because this program sometimes has trouble shutting down Windows)
6. Turn the computer off (choose Shut Down from the Start Menu, of course)
7. Replace the GTS 450 with the 7970 (Note: your computer might speak to you at this point, saying, "Now we're talkin'!!" hehe)
8. Turn the computer on
9. Install whichever AMD driver you want, making absolutely sure that you're getting Catalyst Control Center
10. Reboot if needed

This way, it should be an extremely clean and smooth upgrade - provided that this doesn't destabilize the system at all. If it does though, then you already know how to stabilize it because after all, you got it stable at 4.5 GHz. ;) So, you'd just do it again. Hopefully of course, you can just get your game on and be wondering how you ever lived with that GTS 450. lol That 7970 should knock your socks off while knocking you over and blowing you away, all at the same time. Oh, and it might divide by zero as well, so watch out for that. :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:14:48 pm by TwoCables »

Offline bloated

If I had a lot of money to throw around, then I think I'd replace the PSU with a much newer and higher quality one.
why wouldn't you just buy the video card and see if it works before "throwing money around"?

I won't be uninstalling the Nvidia software or booting in safe mode if I can avoid it, if I'm not happy with the new AMD card I may reinstall the 450 and it'd be notably nice to just swap the cards and be up and running.  I'll also likely be building a new system and move the new card to the new system while putting the 450 back in this one.

I don't believe I'll have any problems, It's a simple card swap and todays OS's and gfx drivers are quite good, not since Nvidia got out of motherboards have I been concerned with prepping for an upgrade.

anyway cheers & I'll let you know how it goes so that if their is an issue you can say I told you so.  :D

If I had a lot of money to throw around, then I think I'd replace the PSU with a much newer and higher quality one.
why wouldn't you just buy the video card and see if it works before "throwing money around"?

I just mean that if I could easily afford both (like, if money weren't a problem whatsoever), because the PSU is just that important, especially if the CPU is overclocked that heavily (1 GHz is kind of heavy). The better the PSU is, the longer everything will last since everything in the computer is getting its power from the PSU, and also the easier it will be to achieve perfect stability no matter what you do. There's also always a chance that using a higher quality PSU would enable you to either lower the CPU's core voltage without affecting its stability or raise the clock speed using its present voltage, due to the much more stable power coming from the better PSU. Using something like the NAXN is likely quite ok for your current configuration due to always having a very low demand on the PSU, but I personally would become on the fence about whether I'd be comfortable replacing a GTS 450 with something much more demanding on the PSU like the 7970. However, since I wouldn't be able to afford both a new PSU and a new video card (even if it's only $75 to $100), I'd have to just see what happens. It will probably be fine, but my comfort level definitely wouldn't be at 100%. Of course, it could be worse: you could have an extremely low-quality generic PSU! lol

I won't be uninstalling the Nvidia software or booting in safe mode if I can avoid it, if I'm not happy with the new AMD card I may reinstall the 450 and it'd be notably nice to just swap the cards and be up and running.  I'll also likely be building a new system and move the new card to the new system while putting the 450 back in this one.

Oh, ok cool. I actually don't know anymore if this would put a user at risk for driver conflicts or BSODs or other weird problems, so I guess we're both about to find out. Still, my feeling is that this is all so easy to do (and reinstalling a video card and its driver is so incredibly easy as well) that I would much rather do it in order to be safe than sorry so that I can have the peace of mind that I won't have any problems due to not doing all of this. I mean, it's not like installing and setting up Windows. It's just a driver. :) I mean, it's like, "How much work is it, really?" For me, it just takes a couple of minutes. So, that's where I'm coming from, I guess.

I don't believe I'll have any problems, It's a simple card swap and todays OS's and gfx drivers are quite good, not since Nvidia got out of motherboards have I been concerned with prepping for an upgrade.

anyway cheers & I'll let you know how it goes so that if their is an issue you can say I told you so.  :D

I hope not! I mean, with how irritating it would be to have to do anything extra just because you upgraded to a much better video card, I hope that you can just install the driver, reboot, and get your game on and be blown away by the massive upgrade. That would be awesome.

By the way, getting back to FreeSpace, you mentioned very early on in this thread that you couldn't get MediaVPs 2014 to work. This is likely because it requires 3.7.2 RC4 and you might be using 3.7.0. I started with 3.7.0 as well because I wasn't comfortable starting off with a Release Candidate for my first experience with FSO. However, it was highly recommended to me by an administrator here on HLP to use 3.7.2 RC4, even if I'm going to use MediaVPs 3.6.12, so I changed to 3.7.2. RC4, switched over to MediaVPs 2014, and then I noticed that certain ships looked even better than before, particularly the Shivan ships, especially the bigger ships ranging from a simple freighter to the Sathanas. Omg.

You will notice immediately though that the HUD elements and text are all smaller. If this bothers you (it bothered me), then here's an unofficial, but stable fix: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87656.msg1750829#msg1750829 Of course, FreeSpace 2 will have to be restarted for the change to take effect.

As he said, the only real change is one line: "$Scale Gauges: no" is being changed to "$Scale Gauges: yes". That's why it's stable.

Offline bloated

you were correct, once I switched my shortcut to 3.7.2 RC4 I got the 2014 media vp's to work.

blue planet mod is now working as well, I'm assuming the rest will launch without issue.

you were correct, once I switched my shortcut to 3.7.2 RC4 I got the 2014 media vp's to work.

blue planet mod is now working as well, I'm assuming the rest will launch without issue.

Oh nice. Which FSO .exe were you using before switching to 3.7.2 RC4?

Offline bloated

3.7.0, after you mentioned 3.7.2 RC4 I went into my FS2 folder and noticed several variants of the 3.7.X string.

I'd just assumed when I did the download that older variants wouldn't be offered, especially given the compatibility with newer mods.