Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 46986 times)

"Look at the size of that thing!"
"Cut the chatter Red 2. Accelerate to attack speed!!!"

Its currently 7k polys, will optimize. I'm hoping to make a fullsize Deathstar HEAVILY using LOD's. At the moment its at 22km wide and it already takes ages just to approach the behemoth from the distance in the screenshots. I hope the latest FSO build allows for uber large models.

C'MON PEOPLE... GET CRACKING.... THIS IS STAR WARS!!!! OUR GENERATION'S STAR WARS!!! THE ONLY VALID TRILOGY!!!

Dont let Vader's  "Noooooooooo" kill you guys (though I'm still recovering)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:10:49 pm by 1582 »

What is the status on Bob's subobject LOD's?

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
LMAO. Vader's "noooo...." hahahah.

Anyway, with the X-wings and Death Star, the game doesn't even look like FS2. I mean, look at the way the X's are textured. And they're engines. Geez...

Started on the trench area.....

The model is up to 15k now. I restricted the greebling to only a small portion of the trench. I don't even know how long the trench is suppose to be. At the moment it stretches around the entire equator. I attempted to greeble the entire trench and the polys went up to 100k. I think some form of subobject LOD-ing will help with this.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:50:54 pm by 1582 »

Wow, finally a Death Star you can fly to! Hope it's computer friendly.

Do those X-Wings have working S-Foils?

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
With current restrictions of SCP I doubt the S-Foils work. But it might be an idea for them to push the SCP to support something if the sort. Thus reduce the amount of time to travel to the Death Star. :)

V. Impressive work Omniscaper! (as usual) :D :yes:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The S-foil movement should be possible using Bob's sub-object animation code, although finding a way to disable weaponry while they are closed may be difficult.  As far as the speed boost, I am told that not all SW games have this as an effect of closed S-foils, so the team may not want to have this.  If they did however, perhaps the S-foil movement could be coupled with auto-transferrence of power from the weapons to engines in the ETS.  Now that I think of it, perhaps the effect of not having shields in FS, could be converted on a changeable-within-a-mission basis.  That may not make sense, but if you remember, in FS1 you didn't have shields at first (or if you're in subspace) and there is no shield entry in the ETS.  Perhaps a way can be coded to remove weapons energy from the ETS whenever the S-Foils are closed, and then restore it when they are open.  This would also be coupled with the afore-mentioned auto energy transferrence to the engines for the speed boost.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Omniscaper
*snip*. At the moment it stretches around the entire equator. I attempted to greeble the entire trench and the polys went up to 100k.

IIRC, the trench run in ANH didn't take place in the trench around the equator, but in a trench leading "up" to the "north pole".
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

IIRC, the trench run in ANH didn't take place in the trench around the equator, but in a trench leading "up" to the "north pole".

Yes, the trench is not the equator of the Death Star.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
AWESOME!!!  :eek2:

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I saw all Star Wars movies in the last days. ---> Star Wars fever!

Those shots are great.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

:jaw:
GREAT!

:yes::yes::yes:
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline starfox

My God....*Passed out*
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Omniscaper
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/staff_images/WIP%20Gallery/DSWip7.jpg

OMG, the empire build the fourth Deathstar. :shaking:
 ;7
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

It didn't? :confused: Where is that mentioned, in the book?

Originally posted by Grug
With current restrictions of SCP I doubt the S-Foils work. But it might be an idea for them to push the SCP to support something if the sort. Thus reduce the amount of time to travel to the Death Star. :)

Interesting, I would think the position of the S-Foils wouldn't affect speed in space. If applicable however, it would definitely affect atmospheric speed. But getting that order to "lock S-Foils in attack position" and seeing it would be sweet and make the experience even more authentic...if it's possible, and if we can't, we can always use time compression to speed up the approach. ^_^

Speaking of speed, is it going to stay the same or accelerated to relative movie speed? That always annoyed me about sims.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:20:18 am by 2743 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by DaBrain

OMG, the empire build the fourth Deathstar. :shaking:
 ;7

So, have we already modelled three? :nervous: :D

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I don't even know there was a third one :confused:  (though I have not read much romans, so maybe I missed something).

Awesome pictures and models Omniscaper, you are indeed very talented (spelling ? ) :yes: :p
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Roanoke

wasn't there launch bays (such as when Vadar arrives in RotJ) in the equaitor section ?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Starman01
I don't even know there was a third one :confused:  ...

In the picture of Omniscaper, the Death star is named as Death Star 4. That's what started this 'the Empire had four Death Stars!' thing.

Originally posted by Roanoke
wasn't there launch bays (such as when Vadar arrives in RotJ) in the equaitor section ?

Unnecessary waste of polies.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by TopAce

In the picture of Omniscaper, the Death star is named as Death Star 4. That's what started this 'the Empire had four Death Stars!' thing.

That's what Bob superdetailing is there for:
High poly details that can be rendered but not all at once.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by TopAce

I wouldn't have thought so