Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 46983 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
"Look at the size of that thing!"
Well, they did it for the star wars game on the sega 32X :p
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by Omniscaper
I'm gonna try making a 20km plane of greebles with the trench. This will also solve the curvature which a number of you folks dislike anyways.

Pfft, the curvature is just fine. That's probably how it would look in real life anyway.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The curvature of the 120k sphere is fine. :nod:

Ask Styxx about the plugin.  Perhaps there's a bug he forgot to check.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, the more I think about it the more I think, it should be able to handle it fine, what is the largest single subobject?
(smallest and average too sence I'm asking)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think the curvature looks a lot better than a flat trench. :)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
agreed
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Ok... remind me again what is the polygon limit of one material?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is no polygon limit. there is a vertex limit (vertex being a combination of point UV coordanants and normal) of 65536, if you have fewer than 21845.3 triangles on a singular submodel you can know for a fact that you haven't passed this limit.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Jokke_r

Hello, this all looks extremely cool. I have a thought though. In the movie the whole getting close to the deathstar scene didn't have any action and went by rather quickly, ofcourse it would be cool to have it ingame but i'd reccomend doing a separate "surface" level in which you could perhaps use combination of skybox and model surface. This way when you only need to have polygons for this certain surface area around the trench you could have much more detailed surface. As in most SW games featureing the trench (rogue squadron games)  they have always limited the area you can fly in by getting blown to pieces by some turbolasers if you move too high from the surface (making you an easier target) or by straying too far from thr trench. In Rogue squadron 1 you were never able to lift above the trench without dying but in the Gamecube version i think they had this auto turn feature if you moved towards the edge (artificial but it works).

I wonder if such feature is possible to implent?

So IMO, 1 level for closing in on the deathstar and another level for the surface around the trench would be ideal since with more detailed surface it would be more imersing as you would undoubtedly dogfight lots of tie's outside the trench before you do your attack run.  :)

The question is if that feature is something we would LIKE to implement. I don´t think Omni´s being fighting with the submodel LOD´s only to see his work split up into multiple missions. I don´t see how "fly to the death star -> loading,briefing -> fly in the trench" is supposed to be immersive? Even if it meant(and in this case I don´t think it necessarily means) lower detail, I´d still choose the seamless experience before the two mission approach.

As for limiting the players movement to the trench? I think that´s something that fits Rogue Squadron perfectly. It´s just so... consoleish.

I think the games most of us draw inspiration from are X-wing, Tie-Fighter, XWA.. Games that feel more like Star Wars starfighter simulators than shooters in a Star Wars setting. Part of the simulator feeling is freedom. For example, the freedom to pull out of the trench when you feel the tactical situation demands it.

Besides, as far as I know, we don´t need to do these things for better detail.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you don't
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Jokke_r

i don't care what you think about it i was just expressing my opinion in order to make this as true to the movie as possible. And being true to the movie and being a simulation at the same time contradicts eachother. Just doesn't work.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by General Kazooie

I think the games most of us draw inspiration from are X-wing, Tie-Fighter, XWA.. Games that feel more like Star Wars starfighter simulators than shooters in a Star Wars setting.  Part of the simulator feeling is freedom.

that's something I said many times, but never that good:)

Originally posted by Jokke_r
i don't care what you think about it i was just expressing my opinion in order to make this as true to the movie as possible. And being true to the movie and being a simulation at the same time contradicts eachother. Just doesn't work.

How exactly do they contradict each other?? I never said any of these games is a simulation of the reality known to us, but a simulation of Star Wars space combat. A simulation fails by definition if it contradicts the very thing it simulates. If it is Star Wars that is simulated, how could a simulator NOT be true to the movie?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the movie wasn't interactive at all so if the player has any controle over the ship then it isn't simulateing the movies :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Right :)
It also seems I´m making pretty bold statements about the teams inspirations for a junior member of the team ;)