Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 46983 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Look at the size of that thing!"
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
IIRC, the trench run in ANH didn't take place in the trench around the equator, but in a trench leading "up" to the "north pole".
Mmm... nope.  I just rewatched that scene - the trench they use is clearly the one on the equator.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yea. There are no other, deep trenches anyway.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I wouldn't place a bet on it. Let me investigate.
*finishes what he wanted to do and starts investigating

Quote from the Star Wars Wikipedia:
The basic structure of the station was sphere the size of a small moon, with a kilometer wide trench containing docking bays running around its equator

:o
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 04:29:19 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
The DS is brilliant, but the X-Wing, with its beautiful rounded engines in SCP lighting, is drool-worthy also.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

I stand corrected. The briefing indicates a north/south polar trench, and the film definitely proves it's not a kilometer wide.

Hey Ypoknons, did you used to be on the XWAUP board? Your name looks familiar.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by EtherShock
The briefing indicates a north/south polar trench
The briefing also shows the firing dish on the equator.  The rebel briefing diagrams are not known for their accuracy. :p

In the actual battle scene, the X-Wings are shown flying into the trench on the equator; therefore that's the trench that should be used.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Goober5000
The briefing also shows the firing dish on the equator.  The rebel briefing diagrams are not known for their accuracy. :p

Nah... imperial schematics are too simple. :)

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

In the actual battle scene, the X-Wings are shown flying into the trench on the equator; therefore that's the trench that should be used.

I always wondered why the plans looked different.

No, that trench was huge. It was the one the Falcon got pulled into. The exhaust port trench was much smaller.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Well, that's by far not the only error in Star Wars, but it clearly indicates that the trench was supposed to be one leading to the pole.

We see them only entering a trench. It's impossible to tell exactly which one. But the equatorial trench seems to be much wider than the one through which the rebels flew.

And the semi-canon schematics also indicate polar trenches.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
But the equatorial trench seems to be much wider than the one through which the rebels flew.
Hrm.  This is indeed a problem.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Eventually, I will turn out to be right about the trench not being on the equator.

Please don't tell me that my hours of setting up greeble arrays wass all for nothing! :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Leave it as it is, don't worry about this. That we discuss where the trench is does not mean you have to rework the whole. No-one is interested in it while playing.

Anyway, if they complain, we will say: 'be glad you have something!'

Nah, I think we're just arguing for the sake of arguing Omni.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
TopAce is right.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not enough of a Star Wars uber-nerd to care, so long as I can fly in a mission that's as amazing as that screenshot looks. :D

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
EDIT: didnt notice a whole second apge.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

BEHOLD 181,840 polygons of Deathstar greeble GOODNESS!!!

May the greeble god bless Bobboau! :)

Note: Print Screen took off 10fps from each shot when I pressed it. I'm running at 1680x1050 resolution!

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Holy....~60 FPS with that monster? Then again...you're gonna have to add turrets, cranes, structures, bars, and fighters.

How are you running at such highres anyway?

*Senses people with average machines are screwed*