Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 46984 times)

"Look at the size of that thing!"
Widescreen LCD screen. What sucks about LCD monitors is that non-native resolutions look blurry. At least with a CRT, all resolutions look crisp.

Hangars are a definite, turrets will be an issue with a model this large. I'm hoping Bob's subobject LOD's can be used with turrets. The cranes and stuff I'm still thinking about.

Because of the scale of the trench, getting the "trench run" sense of speed is still non-existant. Increasing time compression to 4 definitely does the trick. But who wants to play at 4x speed?

I'm thinking about scaling down the trench width instead of adding more greebles. I'd like to make mission where the turrets above the trench has 100 percent accuracy, making the trench run absolutely necessary.

The only major problem I forsee is the AI's nack for collissions.

For the record I have a 2.66 ghz P4 xeon and a Geforce 6600gt.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Your hours of greebling aren't for nothing, they're just wrong. The equatorial trench was and always will be for docking bays and drive units. Remember the docking back in RotJ where the Emperor / Vader landed? That would be on the equator.

The "trench" trench was a lot smaller (hardly a few fighters wide) and therefore couldn't have been the equatorial trench.

Still looks nice though.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

I'm aware of the thickness of the equatorial trench. That is why, for this instance, I made a trench within a trench. You can see this in the screenshots. The diameter of this Deathstar is only 44km, less than half of the canon 120km. I'd like to make this larger, but it just takes too darn long to get from the first creen shot of this thread to the trench.

You could make the approach a seperate mission and just use the red alert flag to avoid making the appoach again, either that or tweak craft speeds.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I agree: make it canon size, and then FREDders can do what they want.  The mission start point is the mission designer's responsibility, not the model designer's. :) Furthermore, you need to make it canon size so that you don't see the curvature of the trench (you can see it in the above shots).

I'm starting to agree with those who say the trench run wasn't in the equatorial trench.  It must have started near the equator, from the movie shots, but the sizes are too different for them to be the same trench.

As for the speed issue, the X-Wing mission says that "your R2 unit will boost your speed as you enter the trench".  So all you need is a ship with a higher top speed.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
We'll need the SCP for that. Here is my quickly-built-up(and probably lame) idea:

-Build the Death Star, with the trench.
-Build a separate model, a cube which has the sizes of the trench, height, lenght, width(<-- you can yell at me for spelling any of these wrong, Goober :)). Place the cube to completely cover the whole trench. Make the whole model with an invisible texture.
-You need to set in the tables that the player should not collide the invisible texture.
-Then, when the engine detects that the player's craft is in this 'Cube', which is particularly the trench, then it will start buring the afterburners, which are not on any Battle of Yavin-era craft.

So we have the help from the SCP to:
  • Forbid manual afterburner use
  • Being able to detect whether a model is 'inside' another model
  • A SEXP that automatically starts burning afterburner[
  • A new SEXP that automatically stops burning afterburner fuel(in case the player gets out of the trench
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
or:

Code: [Select]

$Formula: ( when
   ( <
      ( distance "Death Star" "X-Wing 0" )
   )
   ( change-ship-model
      "X-Wing #Faster"
      "X-Wing 0"
   )
)
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Change-ship-class, rather.  But that's the idea. :nod:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Ah, so the player has to be faster not only in the trench.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:confused:

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
When they close the S-foils.

In the movie, it's definitely not the equatorial trench.

1. Kilometer wide. You can almost fit an ISD in there, lengthwise!(Key word, almost, so don't chew me out).
2. That's where all the docking bays are.

Probably more and I'm not thinking of them, but oh well. Either way, superb work, guys. *is waiting for a release*
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
There is no canon information that says when the S-foils close the X-wing goes faster. (think about it, how is moving 2 engines together going to increase speed? Its more for amnuverability factors and weapon conversion/field of fire that they expand/contract) There is also no canon information that the X-wing actually increases its top speed in the trench, other than they are at full throttle)...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You could just have all of the ships have a ridiculously high top speed, say something like 1000 m/s.  Might make for some interesting dogfighting, though. :p  Whatever you decide, I'd agree that having a "life"-size Death Star in-game would be just about the most awesome thing that anyone's ever pulled off in FS2. :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The problem would be the AI. They can't handle such a high speed any well.

Originally posted by Goober5000
As for the speed issue, the X-Wing mission says that "your R2 unit will boost your speed as you enter the trench".  So all you need is a ship with a higher top speed.

I don't think the speed burst  is really necessary like it was in X-Wing, just tweak the speeds, but that's for the modders to decide. I'm wondering how I'd get far away enough before it goes boom though.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
How similar are the Death Star and Death Star II, because if this DS II was a bit different, we can't quite use the RotJ references. Though, there was the whole "that's no moon" thing with the Millenium Falcon getting close to it.

Offline TIMMAY

• http://sco.minos.net
Just to try and help clear some things up (been a SW Fanboy WAY too long :p)

#1: The equatorial is exactly that... the trench around the equator, all it has is docking bays and more guns and more docking bays..

The actual "Trench Run" is at the very north pole of the death star as in the briefing it says its a small thermal exhaust port they have to shoot torpedoes in... and you wouldn't really want a exhaust port for something like that amongst docking bays :p

#2: Regarding the X-Wings speed, when Luke flew into the trench he got R2 to increase the power to the engines only, this would have lessened some of the power from other systems to gain this little bit of extra speed (lasers, shields etc).

Closing/opening their S-Foils is for;
     :Easier Storage
     :Gives the lasers more accuracy and range (width/height not distance)
     :Allows the craft to actually be flyable in a combat situation in a atmosphere

#3: The DSI and DSII are 95% the same except for the fact that the DSII was less powerful in the fact it was mainly going to be used on starships/planetary bases rather than outright destroying planets and it also didn't have a open exhaust port like DSI which is why the rebels had to strike when it was uncompleted due to the fact that they could access the power core.. If the DSII was fully completed they rebels would have been majorly screwed :p

Edited. Smiley code fixed - TopAce
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:24:38 am by 1079 »

The DS2 was LESS powerful?  It's something like 20 times the volume!  It had a more flexible superlaser that allowed it to hit starships reliably, but of course it could still explode planets.  900km spheres are to be feared, plainly.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I guess the DS2 had fewer turbolasers. The number of lasers on the DS1 was probably an overkill.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
DS2, according to the Offical Guide to Vehicles and Ships, had nearly twice the armament of the first Death Star. The Superlaser remained capable of planet destruction: how it was used against the Rebel fleet at Endor, even with its power turned way down, was gross overkill.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story