Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63382 times)

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)
How's going the progress on this mod guys?!
Are you close to releasing something we might call a demo? :confused:
The number of ships you've currently done is sufficent for such a purpose... :nod:
At least to my mind;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:01:11 am by chief1983 »
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The problem is that most of our models are only half-ready. We can't truly work with ships without textures and any POF data.

If we don't get enough diligent modellers who are able to texture, we're doomed. And we lack community interest, at least from those who would be able to contribute.

We're dead if you ask me.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aipz

Which models are half-done?
And which are ready to be put ingame?
If you could ask me for starwars you don't need too much ships for the beginning... actually 7 types of fighters, 7-8 classes of ships, a shuttle and a space station...;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:18:05 pm by 2633 »
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
This I cannot say for sure. We already have some models which are in theory working in-game flawlessly, but they still lack minor things all models should have (LODs, Debris).

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Thats bad... I admid that I am not a Star Wars maniac (my first post here) . But I would still like to play around with them ships in FS engine...
Here's my advice. Make a demand in the general or modding boards. Dont go whining like "we are looking for modders..."
Go and say how things really are. "We need a willing modder now, or this conversion is buried!" There is reasonable chance that there is someone lurking in the boards who can mod but is not showing his face. Or it might smoke some new modder from under his rock...
I don't know... You won't either, if you don't try...

That's if you really are in such a bad trouble as you are implying...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline aipz

To be more precise for the basic ships:
T/F, T/B, T/I
Lambda shuttle
ISD or other capship fot the Imperials

X-W, A-W and Y-W
CRV
Some transports
a cruiser or  a frigate

and a starbase (any one)

AND tada you have an  quite enjoyable demo :)

EDIT: Prophet's right...
         There are thousands of people on HLP - someone has to see  
         this...:nod:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:24:57 pm by 2633 »
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Easy for you to say... :)

We have already had enough recruitment threads. The people who joined did not do much... some of them were even removed from the staff, another part of them made something and disappeared for good.

Offline aipz

What I want to say is that even sth as  small like this is needed to get your mod "alive"...
otherwise you may be right after all :(
I would gladly help but my modding skills are somewheat limited currently to FRED...;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:48:13 pm by 2633 »
"Another fellow pilot"

I've been waiting for this for a long time. Don't let it die. :shaking: I'd love to help, but sadly, I lack the skills required.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yes, and that is the current state of our fanbase. Tons of people who would to love to see this work, but a handful of people who know how to keep the ship from sinking.

Trashman is spitting out moddels like mad you might want to talk to him. If you ask him personally he might do it.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I've allready posted in that other thread, I would gladly help, but I would like to finish some other things first, but should be done, and ready to fully work in a few weeks.;)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm. Seems interesting so far.

If you really are having such serious trouble finding modellers or otherwise skilled people and if this is going to be a real problem, I'd suggest you to visit
http://ia.emperorshammer.net/home/ and perhaps ask if you could cooperate a bit, if you already haven't done so.

It seems to me that there are right now two groups (you and them) trying to make exactly the same thing. Imperial Alliance is a Star Wars based free space combat simulator based on FS2 flight engine. It is also going to be a standalone game, not a FS2 mod, just like yours.

I think these guys ar a little longer to the process right now than you are. They are currently on closed beta phase, and after that there will probably be an open demo version of the game.

If I were you, I'd contact these guys and ask if you could use their models (if you like them good enough), OR ultimately you could consider joining your forces if you'd like. I personally think that there's really no sense in bringing on two similar mods based on the same game; If both are good with slight differences, I think it'd be a reasonable thing to do some cooperation, take the good things from both games and release a single product together. For a gamer that would be a better solution than having two separate games with their own pros and cons. Then you could focus on making cool missions and campaigns.

By the way, I think that your models look cooler in overall comparision, just thought that cooperation could give a boost to both groups and then I and other gamers wouldn't have to wait so long! If you already know about this group (which is very presumable), well, it's your call whether you want to cooperate or not.

I also think that you should go and advertise this game a bit by contacting some groups that would quite surely be interested of your work:

-http://www.darkjedi.org/club/TFA/, the best club flying XVT and XWA: Tie Fighter Alliance, that's my club :nod:
-http://www.darkjedi.org/club/TRA/, Traumatic Rebels' Alliance, having very many active pilots on their list traumatized by TFA's overall superiority.

There are other communities playing XWA and even XVT still, and we would most certainly be delighted to have a new game to play... but they won't play unless the know about it... which would be a tremendous loss.

But make sure that the multiplayer works, and works good... Also I'd like to ask whether or not it's possible to regenerate a pilot during mission? Because flying melees with just one life is not very... erm... fun. And mostly we do fly melee missions on XvT and XWA, mainly 2vs2's but that is partially due to lagginess on more complex missions.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Those guys took shipsright out of one of the old SW games. They're kinda dodgy.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Maybe it would help to release a small demo, like a single mission of a group of x-wings attacking a star destroyer, set up with a cool little storyline.  Then in the DEMO itself, ask for more help, and post it in a plea stating that only more of this will come foth if there is some more help.  It seems to me people are happier if there are releases to keep the interest up.  so generate some interest with a quick little demo, and you may find you get some more help.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Those guys took shipsright out of one of the old SW games. They're kinda dodgy.

Ah, I see. I mentioned that their models didn't seem as cool as yours...

I'm too sorry that I don't have skills that could help you, more less time to learn such skills. I understand your point, if they are "dodgy", as you describe them to be :nervous:.

Voices would be about the only thing that I might be able to do to help you, but then again, I don't consider myself a brilliant actor, quite the opposite, actually... But if you need a Finnish accent, here's one...:shaking:

Well, I hope that you get along with this project. If you wish, I could also tell the TFA and TRA about this one and see what they think, which one is better: this one or the "Imperial Alliance" peoples' work. Tell me if you'd like me to do this, because I'd be delighted to. I could ask if there were anyone able and interested in helping you, that would really be nothing.

I don't think they are dodgy. I don't really know muc about those Emperor's Hammer folks, except that people who wear the EH_ tag before their nick usualy beat crap out of almost everyone else when flying multiplayer...

Well, I'll keep on chekkin' the situation here. It would *suck* to have you putting this into stasis for not having enough people interested in helping...  :wtf:

See you later.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Hey it could be a sign that working with them might be perfect. If the didn't take the time to make new models then maybe they excell at other areas of the modding avenue... places where your team maybe be thin in ranks. They seem to be thin in ranks of modelers... it could work out for  both.

Offline Sirrush

Yea i definitely agree with you Fade.  Collboartion may suit both avenues to make an awesome project.  As they say, "many hands make light work"

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Bump ! Any news good or bad ? It seems dead...  :shaking:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Yes, it does. There haven't been any updates for a while, with this speed, we'll not finish before FS2 ultimately dies.