Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63382 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Have you asked around others already very active in Hard-Light Productions?  Possibly see if you can recruit some others currently working in The Babylon Project or Wing Commander Saga who aren't major FREDers but can do the hard part of getting those models into a working fashion?
That's the wrong strategy IMHO.  The problem is that most of the people who are active here have far too much to do already.  I certainly do.  We need new blood. :)

I'd be happy if they could just make a total conversion with absolutely no pre-made missions [or] campaigns.  I just want the tools that I can use in FRED to make my own missions.  I don't know the complicated mechanics, programs, and utilities used to actually BUILD the ships...so sadly I can't help there  :(  Just a dedicated FREDer here.
Dedicated FREDders are one actually in very short supply on HLP, so your presence would probably be welcome on any mod you choose to work on. :) The position the SWC needs most of all is a project leader: somebody who can organize all the content into one modpack.  But the position the SWC needs second-most is a FREDder.

I would gladly work on the SWC unfortunatly I can't fred and my modeling is limited returreting ships.
This is unfortunately another problem.  We hear people all the time who say, "I would love to help you guys but I have no l33t skillz."  That has two possible interpretations.  One is that the person is really saying, "I would love to help you... but not really.  I'm just saying that so I can look good for wanting to help."  The other is that the person actually feels that they're not good enough.  We can't do anything about the first type of person, but to the second type of person, we say: You should consider joining the project anyway.  Experience is the best teacher.  It's far better to have an average person doing work than no person doing work.  "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." :)

Hope you're not including me in those people who haven't followed through, I fully intend to try to get some interest back into this mod, and I'm planning on having a IRC meeting very soon if I can get people to come.
:yes:

Offline Dysko

I can make tables and some (read "almost none") graphic stuff (ehm... loading screens and static ANIs :nervous:). I'm willing to help, because I like very much Star Wars (Original Trilogy, obviously... ;)) and I would like to see this mod going on.

Unfortunately, I can't get the IRC working on my PC :mad:, so I won't be able to take part in the meeting :(
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.

I would gladly work on the SWC unfortunatly I can't fred and my modeling is limited returreting ships.
This is unfortunately another problem.  We hear people all the time who say, "I would love to help you guys but I have no l33t skillz."  That has two possible interpretations.  One is that the person is really saying, "I would love to help you... but not really.  I'm just saying that so I can look good for wanting to help."  The other is that the person actually feels that they're not good enough.  We can't do anything about the first type of person, but to the second type of person, we say: You should consider joining the project anyway.  Experience is the best teacher.  It's far better to have an average person doing work than no person doing work.  "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." :)

Ok then were do i sign up?
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
actually goob, to correct you what we most need is modelers. there are currently 5 or 6 models which work ingame, 2 of which arent turreted (including the turret models), the x-wing is about 50 sizes too small, and none have textures
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Dysko

I'm moving my very first steps with 3DS Max, but I'm not nearly remotely sure if I will ever be of any help with modeling.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
actually goob, to correct you what we most need is modelers. there are currently 5 or 6 models which work ingame, 2 of which arent turreted (including the turret models), the x-wing is about 50 sizes too small, and none have textures

Nothing more? That's everything you've done? What are you going to model first?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
theres craploads of models done, but most of them are far from game quality and compatability

AHTW

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

As I stated, I'm organizing a meeting.  If there's enough interest it will be sometime tomorrow evening, between 6 and 10pm CST.  If not it will probably be the following week, on either the same time Wednesday, or some time on Thursday.  Feel free to stop by the chat room anytime though, I've been camping it for a while now, #scp-swc on espernet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Send me an application.  What goes in the application is up to you. :)

:yes:

So does that mean you'll be there?
No, it means I think it's a good idea.  But I'll be there if I can.  Unfortunately I'm travelling on business this week and have very limited internet connectivity.

I remember you saying that, but Imperial Alliance had previously agreed to share models with us.  (I understand you had some misunderstandings with them, but when I spoke to Darkhill, he had no problem with it.)  So we have a few already-made models we can start out with.  I envision the SWC releasing a few missions or perhaps a mini-campaign with the small model pack, which will then generate interest and attract more modellers.  Incremental releases are A-1 SUPAR. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:27:31 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I remember you saying that, but Imperial Alliance had previously agreed to share models with us.  (I understand you had some misunderstandings with them, but when I spoke to Darkhill, he had no problem with it.)  So we have a few already-made models we can start out with.  I envision the SWC releasing a few missions or perhaps a mini-campaign with the small model pack, which will then generate interest and attract more modellers.  Incremental releases are A-1 SUPAR. :)

Last we heard from KARMA, he took all our models and sent them to Darkhill for IA to use, but I havent followed up on what they did with them.

AHTW

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

The screenshots threads make it look like there's quite a few more that are ready, or very near ready.  Which ones do you know of that are 'done'?

And ok, so we've got a few really nice ones, whatever we can get from IA, and I believe we had permission for any of the Warlords models we want to convert?  Were there any other sources to pull from?

Edit, also, re-reading some of this thread, it also appears we still have permission to use any XWA upgrade ships we'd like?

Edit Edit:  also again, would that include anything from Darksaber's own collection as well, including stuff not on XWAU?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:54:46 pm by chief1983 »

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
the XWAUP stuff is weird. we have several models that we got from them, but it took KARMA about 2 weeks of heavy work to get each to a state that would be possible to POF

AHTW

i think you may be looking for fredders.
i'm not the best fredder in my country, but i have some fredding skills, and i would be proud of helping, if necessary. However, be advised that i am quite slow in fredding (not a lot of time to play FS)...
in Steadfast you could see some of my works, when it will be released (but in the team i mainly work writing messages/briefnigs... we have Mobius for fredding...and i think he has modified also my missions...)
if you need my help, tell me what to do!
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
To be honest, Edivad creates excellent cutscenes.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

To be honest, Edivad creates excellent cutscenes.

Thanks Mobius. well, if the SW conversion nneds them, just ask. As usual, i take a lot time ("to make a good cutscene, EVERY ship must have a waypoint path..."), but with good results.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ehm, a wing can fly the path too...

"Edivad is recommended by me as cutscene designer"

Yes, you hato copy it in your siggy.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Ehm, a wing can fly the path too...

i tried it: they follow irregular paths when turning and they crash into each other...
the single path is ok for distant wings which have almost straight paths.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)
Can't you just set the lead fighter of the wing to fly a path and set the rest to fly in formation with it...? :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Re: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)
yes, but like he said, when the waypoint dictates a change in course, the wingmates bounce around and reorganize and it looks ugly

AHTW