Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63376 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)
Hey, have I been banned from the staff? I no longer have access to the Internal if it still exists - and I cannot find anything that tells me why I can't see the internal. So, what's up? Despite my apparent absence from SWC - and the community in general - I still would like to help out if there is a need. I know it pretty well that there is little need for FREDders right now, but I would like to know what's going on "behind the scenes."

Hippo, would you mind me catching you on IRC and ask a few questions? I kind of feel confused about most recent developments.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:48:23 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
message me on icq, i can answer things there easier than irc at the moment
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Ok, I'm logged in and waiting

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Hippo, TopAce, and others...

It's been some time since I've been on here and some months since I sent you guys those emails... but myself and another modeler are serious about making the ship models on that 30-something list of ships I sent you...  I've been AWOL learning to create maps for Jedi Academy (all of this is for our Shadows of the Empire mod... www.jedispy.com ) the ground action will be handled by Jedi Academy... but the Space Combat will use FS2... I talked with Darkhill about the same time months back and he was willing to share his "Star Wars" code changes (i.e, lightspeed jumps, etc.)... now I'll be honest and say that I'm still learning the requirements for modeling for FS2... but I've already verified that Styxx's POF exporter for Max works in my 3dsMax8 software.  So we would be willing to collaborate with you guys... if you think the SWC can get kick-started again.  I've been sucked in more on the Jedi Academy side of our project than I had originally wanted (creating models and maps for it-- and helping run the mod), but my desire is to start modeling the ships on our ship lists soon... the other modeler is also very talented (but will be learning the specific requirements for FS2)... he'll be able to focus on ship modeling, while I'm attempting to become a jack-of-all-trades.

I'll send you guys another PM or email to chat and refresh your memories...  we'll breathe life into these SWC bones before you know it.   :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Hello again, archangel.

I don't mind anyone join the SWC, but it's not up to chief to decide as he's the new project leader. If I remember correctly, you never were a bad modeler, and now that we need any help we can get, I'm sure chief wouldn't have a problem with employing more people. However, he said IA had already made several models and they were in a rather advanced stage.

As for JA, what do you mean by "making maps?" Making files that have the *.map and later the *.bsp extension (which is what I consider a map), or do you mean textures?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup, we could always use some modeling help.  My current goal as far as our models are concerned is to catalog what exactly is and isn't done for all the ships that we currently have files for.  TopAce gave me a good start, but I need to figure out which files go for what ship, and modify the inhouse pack that Starman made a while back somewhat.  TopAce, I could probably use some help in that area, as I'm sure you have a much better idea how old certain copies of files are.  I'm not sure I can trust the filesystem dates too much for these.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
And how about the SW I sent you ? Did you get it ?  ::) 

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup.  Started looking through it after I sorted the rest of the files today.  Did you know what's needed to make them work with 3.6.9?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Yup.  Started looking through it after I sorted the rest of the files today.  Did you know what's needed to make them work with 3.6.9?

If I remember correctly, I used an old build like the Inferno one. But, with the 3.6.9, I don't know what's going on. It try to load New_Laxxxxxx.pof (xxxxx like a random string) or something like that.

well im the one that archangel was referring to that could help you guys out with some modeling since ive been looking to join or start my own SW flight sim project. i have alot of models that ive made for other games that i could easily just export to the format you need to get them working in the FS2 engine, heres some examples...

some of these arent textured because theyre fairly new models that i havnt found anyone to texture them for me since im not much of a texture artist but im trying to get a lil better at that. id be willing to take on the bulk of the modeling, just tell me what to make and i can pump out the main mesh with animations in a very short amount of time. i use softimage|XSI so i dont know if i can export to the right filetype that you guys need to get them in game but im sure we can do some file swapping to get around that.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:eek2:

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
 :eek: :eek2: WOW
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i hate to be nitpicky, but the wing thingys on the naboo fighter are way too thin
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline CaptJosh

Also not modeled correctly. The winglets for the engine pods blended together with the rest of that fighter to form a sort of lifting body design. I suggest you find a copy of Rogue Squadron 3D for PC, make sure it has the update that puts the Naboo Starfighter in it, and then take a look at it both sitting in the hangar and as its leaving the hangar. Also if you can get some looks at it in flight while playing. Since I have the game, i'll see what i can do about getting some images myself.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

i modeled it after rogue leader for the game cube, i knew this guy who worked for lucas arts and he gave me a couple of the maya source files for the game, the model is accurate.

heres an image i found just by googling...

and heres my actual rotoscope of the renders of the high poly model...

the wings are curved but they do not follow the exact contours of the body as you can see in both shots and every other pic i found on google.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, a couple of those ships we've already got some really nice models for, but a lot of those we could probably put to good use.  I'll definitely be keeping in touch.

well hopefully youll let me know something soon, let me know what you need so i can start pumping out the content. archangel is mailing me a copy of FS2 and has given me some stuff on the engine but i need to read up on alot of stuff as well.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Of what you've got above, we've already got a really nice ISD mesh, and a really good B-Wing.  The rest is either superior to anything I've found so far or nothing we've even done yet.  You should probably check on the modding forum for what needs to be done in general for a ship to be fully functional in Freespace, but I believe it needs turrets, LODs, gun placements, dockpoints, and whatever cool stuff you can do to the textures that takes advantage of the engine.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Holy crap!Where have you been hiding? Those are top quality models you've got there. If you do have stuff from other games to go with them, that could be seriously useful as a shot in the arm for gettingthe SWC into some kind of playable format.

Christ- it looks like I may have another mod to make missions for when I get back home after all... :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CaptJosh

Hrm...Perhaps I was mistaken about the silhouette. I'll doublecheck just to make sure. It never hurts to have an extra set of eyes.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.