Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63381 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
How about the models you have actually ? are there a lot already done ?
How about weapons ? (laser and missiles) Hyperdrive jump ? Are they implemented or not yet ?  :shaking:

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
A project is doomed to die without a vision, a goal, a method, and (now it seems) a leader.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
A leader is not that important if we can discuss who does what among ourselves. For that to happen, the staff need to give any life sign. I haven't seen a lot of staffers recently, maybe Black Wolf and you.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
There is a way where you could import SW models from other mods like Warlords ? Because, I've already imported 40 models.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
We need authorization.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Faro

• http://www.lfxw.com
Projet Die ... :'(

Some french boy wait a new Star wars Simulation, and your mod was a hope :(

Bad news ... Have problems of competences (lack of developers or graphic designers) or motivation ?

snif :'(

Faro

PS : Metaldestroyer, you are in every forum ... you know some french developers for freespace ? ;)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
We need authorization.

I have the authorization recently. So, there is no problem. A friend began to work onto turrets for cruisers.
There is still a lot to do. (we are two at this moment, and perhaps 3).

Here some stuff :
Hyperspace Jump (not fix yet)

For pics and others videos :
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25406.400.html

If this could help you.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That hyperspace jump looks cool, though it might be better to slow it down just a tad faster. Did the Subspace graphic changes make any difference?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I will look at it after testing XWA ^^ About the warp effect you send me, I saw no difference.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That's weird... Hmm...

It's pretty straightforward. FS2 considers 0, 255, 0 to be transparent. I sent you a 1x1, 0, 255, 0 ani with the4 same name as the warp ani. Assuming you placed it in the correct directory, it should overwrite the warp ani.

Make sure all the files are in the effects folder of data (or whatever mod directory you're using if you use -mod) and if it's still not working, try putting them into the root FS2 directory.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
The files are in the right folder (StarWars\data\effects). It will try to put them into the root.vp. I hope it will work. :s

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Hey, that jump looks pretty cool :yes:

Could probably simulate some sort of star-blur effect when entering hyperspace yourself....though, a model would not work well.

from whom....George Lucas.... :nervous:

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
from whom....George Lucas.... :nervous:

EvilleJedi for his SW Models

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Interesting... ecided to step back after some time and it looks things are slowly beginning to move...
I have a question though: Are all the ships used by Metal Destroyer appear in your mod?
Many of them were converted from other projects if I'm correct?
"Another fellow pilot"

Hmm. Seems interesting so far.

If you really are having such serious trouble finding modellers or otherwise skilled people and if this is going to be a real problem, I'd suggest you to visit
http://ia.emperorshammer.net/home/ and perhaps ask if you could cooperate a bit, if you already haven't done so.

It seems to me that there are right now two groups (you and them) trying to make exactly the same thing. Imperial Alliance is a Star Wars based free space combat simulator based on FS2 flight engine. It is also going to be a standalone game, not a FS2 mod, just like yours.

I think these guys ar a little longer to the process right now than you are. They are currently on closed beta phase, and after that there will probably be an open demo version of the game.

If I were you, I'd contact these guys and ask if you could use their models (if you like them good enough), OR ultimately you could consider joining your forces if you'd like. I personally think that there's really no sense in bringing on two similar mods based on the same game; If both are good with slight differences, I think it'd be a reasonable thing to do some cooperation, take the good things from both games and release a single product together. For a gamer that would be a better solution than having two separate games with their own pros and cons. Then you could focus on making cool missions and campaigns.

By the way, I think that your models look cooler in overall comparision, just thought that cooperation could give a boost to both groups and then I and other gamers wouldn't have to wait so long! If you already know about this group (which is very presumable), well, it's your call whether you want to cooperate or not.

I also think that you should go and advertise this game a bit by contacting some groups that would quite surely be interested of your work:

-http://www.darkjedi.org/club/TFA/, the best club flying XVT and XWA: Tie Fighter Alliance, that's my club :nod:
-http://www.darkjedi.org/club/TRA/, Traumatic Rebels' Alliance, having very many active pilots on their list traumatized by TFA's overall superiority.

There are other communities playing XWA and even XVT still, and we would most certainly be delighted to have a new game to play... but they won't play unless the know about it... which would be a tremendous loss.

But make sure that the multiplayer works, and works good... Also I'd like to ask whether or not it's possible to regenerate a pilot during mission? Because flying melees with just one life is not very... erm... fun. And mostly we do fly melee missions on XvT and XWA, mainly 2vs2's but that is partially due to lagginess on more complex missions.

Good to see there are still people playing Multiplayer XvT :) Actually, the project founder, Karma, was part of such a group, as I was, for that matter. The basic idea was to get a modern version of the game we all loved, to cope with time. I introduced him to FS2 and to it's modding capabilitys, then left. I content myself with playing the old Tie Fighter (since FSO doesn't run properly, no matter what hardware i throw at him) and redoing the XvT BOP campaign, from time to time. I'm ideallistically waiting for Lucasarts to release new Space Simulator: it's like the FS3 quest... hopeless.

Regarding the pilot question. if you're speaking of FS, IIRC there was an option for "infinite lifes", or something like that.
My 2 cents.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

I would gladly not use XWA models and textures for IA.  But since its basically me and another guy doing the project we aren't left with much choice.  Though he is slowly going through and making his own textures.  You guys seem to have the same problem we do in that there aren't an abundance of modellers around.

So does this mean the project is on "hiatus?" :(

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I would gladly not use XWA models and textures for IA.  But since its basically me and another guy doing the project we aren't left with much choice.  Though he is slowly going through and making his own textures.  You guys seem to have the same problem we do in that there aren't an abundance of modellers around.

We rather need texturers, we have enough models already, but only a few of them have any textures.

Offline Mewgen1

Well I dont have any experience texturing, but I can edit .tbls, so if you were to send me a simple model (maybe a cargo container or freighter) I could try honing my limited skills over spring break.  I cant make any promises though.