Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63380 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I could send some models from Warlords which are already converted.
But, just wait a little, I've a lot to do :sweat:

Here some screens :

Darkhill -> I have the ATR with right texture. The zip pack from the Warlords website isn't complete at all.

That ISD looks mighty tasty, you could pass that along.

How did you get around the fact that none of these models turret objects on them?

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
That ISD looks mighty tasty, you could pass that along.

How did you get around the fact that none of these models turret objects on them?

If i remember, turrets models for Warlord use specific script proper to Homeworld 2. I didn't find any 3D model after I extract all the models. I think, it's better to ask EvilleJedi.

However, a friend have put Turret for the Corellian Corvette, the result is pretty good. I have also, make a simple Imperial Turbolaser for a Victory Class just for test. But, the behavior is too bad :( There is a problem with angle issue.

The whole deal with the multipart turrets not working very well at angles or not at all on the sides is why I stripped the barrels from turrets and place firpoints on the turret itself.  Yes its a bit more realistic to have a barrel but TIE Fighter got away with this idea so why can't I?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Can't you make the turret one piece consisting of a (somewhat detailed) ball and the barrel and sink the ball about 2/3 into the main hull? At least that's not multipart...

:nervous:

Anyway, I'm glad to see something going on here. I hope these latest twists of fate will make this conversion released sooner or later.  :nod:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Hey guys,

I know there seems to be a lot of people watching the progress of the Star Wars Conversion for FS2, but I only learned about it yesterday (5/31/06).  I've been keeping a pulse on almost all of the Star Wars mods-- so I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across yours.

I would highly recommend the leaders of this project (still unclear after reading 3 pages of forums here) organize their information on the following MOD database website under mods for Freespace2:

http://mods.moddb.com/?search=true&mod=&mf=0&game=75&type=0

Once you've put in your info concerning your MOD and a link to your Website (which needs attention...) you can also create a recruitment tab.

I think your best bet is to reuse as much as possible all of the XWAUpgrade ships-- which it sounds like you already have permission to use.  Granted I'm a newbie (brand-spankin' that is...) to Freespace 2, I would be more than glad to help you convert XWAU ships from *.OPT to *.POF format.  It's hard to see any organization team structure in a forum setting because (except for the moderators) you just have passers by (?) making posts.  But you need to generate a team roster of people who will be committed to contribute so much time per week (or month) to the conversion effort in specific areas where they're given specific tasks to complete, and like KARMA said, there needs to be an overseer to keep things organized, creating new assignments, tracking what's done and what remains to be done, etc.-- you need to have a single overall project leader with a few deputy leaders heading up major sub-elements.

You need to set standards for models...(I've read where turrets won't have guns... some will...depending on whose doing the modeling- not good.  You need to standardize and keep the ships as close to canon as possible.

Who is the primary project leader for the Star Wars Conversion for FS2? 

Check out the MOD Database website I gave you above and set up your profile there-- for wider recognition.  I bet you'll be surprised by the offers you get for assistance.

Offline Rannon

Hey Guys,

I'd like to help convert XWAU's (of course with their permission) mods to Freespace2.  Looks like you have made some major progress, but you need some rejuvenation.  How can I help and when can I get started?

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Begin plasma core insertion, gunnery control, open fire:

Welcome to HLP. Please keep all appendages within the installation at all times. Flamethrowers are located underneath all seats, however, due to the rising cost of oil, the ID / evolution debate (don't debate me on Whether or not there is a debate),V, and the meaning of life, the napalm has been replaced with Holy Water. Plasma rifles are located in the weapons locker, but only Admins,V, or a hyper-intelligent shade of blue have access to these areas. If you meet a Shivan in the ductwork it is most likely Carl, give him your lunch and back away slowly, odds are good you'll be fine. Recommend reading includes Karajorma's Freespace FAQ for general questions, and The Freespace Wiki for specific issues and questions.

15th kill. :)

Welcome Rannon.

I'm seriously thinking that necromancy is getting out of hand here. :P You know this is the first time since I've been here that I saw something active in the Star Wars mod.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
kinda sad, this is the best space sim out there, and there's no working star wars port :(
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
This is sad. Especially when there are so many pre-made models sitting there on the net waiting to be used.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

I just noticed it's quite dead here...
I searched the net a bit, and I found tons of models we could use for the mod.
What models are needed, so I can try converting them to ingame ships, and what else is needed, is there anyone left who would like to continue this conversion? or....?

Bartus

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
*plays a trumpet/horn in a funeral type way*

Oooh, look a tumbleweed  :eek2:

:tumbleweed:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This, like Unsung Heroes, is a project in search of a leader.

You guys should team up with (or ask to be acquired by) Imperial Alliance.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They say that they're 'dodgy' because they took ships straight out of some other game or something?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That was a misunderstanding due to a miscommunication.  From my conversations with IA, they'd be happy to join forces with SWC.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Sharing models and effects with some other team seems like a very sensible thing to do.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
The issue that came up was that all of the models and the concept for them is owned and copyrighted by lucasfilm, so that rules out every model from a game already. We got models and permissions from XWAUp, but it took weeks to get a single model to a pof, and they were crappy to begin with. we modeled a bunch of our own, but the core group of people ended up doing way more than they bargained for, and crossed with problems with the forums (for instnce not getting any pm's in response from any admins for several months regarding to our ftp access which kept mysteriously dissappearing, and everyone doing everything) we have more or less given up. We also had an epidemic for about a year where it was HLP tradition to join the project, and do absolutely nothing. We also had a lot of member issues with people not being around as often as they wanted, so there was a lot of come and go.

Last news we have was KARMA was packing up all the data for models and stuff and sending it to IA circa april of 06.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Sooo.... are you saying its dead?

What about the latest videos posted in "a celebration of freespace" thread.
The mod seemed to be looking fine to me.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Sooo.... are you saying its dead?

What about the latest videos posted in "a celebration of freespace" thread.
The mod seemed to be looking fine to me.

Well, it isn't the mod where HLP is involved since years. It was just a personnal project at first. This time I couldn't wait the release of the Star Wars mod conversion from HLP. So within to Cobra, he gave me some motivation on modelling when he put his first topic in modeling an Xwing with Blender. Then I began to model an Xwing just to try. And then, I have the idea to put effort into making my own Star Wars mod. I used at first some material from Darksaber but it seems there are lot of texture which aren't supported by SCP. So, I used Warlords Material and convert them into Freespace 2 SCP.

But, for now, I put the project on stand by since February 2006 for some reason (studying, internships, etc...).

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
So XWAUp was the only other Star Wars mod out there using originally built ships? Crikey.