Author Topic: Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: June 08 Edition  (Read 28362 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: June 08 Edition

Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid:
June 08 Edition

Contents:
I. Monthly Newsletter
II. Model and Texture Update
III. Weapon Pack
IV. Testing and Tabling
V. Meet the Devs
VI. Positions Open
VII. Closing Remarks

I. Monthly Newsletter

Welcome to the first issue of the Fate of the Galaxy monthly newsletter! What is this exactly?  Well, it's a way for us Devs to pass on to you our news updates and a bit about our progress on the mod.  It's meant for those both new to our project and those who have supported us since the beginning, so as editor, I would like to say thank you for your continuing support, and enjoy!

-Brand-X

II. Model and Texture update

The last few months have shown both times of high activity for our art staff, and lulls.  Everyone has real life to consider of course.  This is merely a selection of some of the updates we've seen recently, and this list is by no means comprehensive of all the work accomplished thus far.

MC80 Liberty-type Star Cruiser  (Model completed by Snaga, Placeholder texture)

Imperator-class (Imperial-class) Star Destroyer (Model WIP by Brand-X, Placeholder Texture)

BTL Y-Wing (Model and Texture by Brand-X)

TIE/In Interceptor (Model and Texture by Brand-X)

III. Weapon Pack

As we all have seen from the highlights, Galactic Emperor has released a massive pack of secondary weapons from the Star Wars universe (Link), and we by all means plan to use them!  Everything from Proton Torpedoes to Concussion Missiles and even Buzz Droids!

MG7-A Proton Torpedo (Model and Texture by Galactic Emperor)

Pistoeka Sabotage Droid (Model and Texture by Galactic Emperor)

IV. Testing and Tabling

It's taken us a long time to get to this point, and I am proud to announce that Chief1983 has put together a standalone test build for us to begin our tabling, testing and FREDing with.  Only out for the last couple days, this has allowed us to really begin working on the game itself and I'm sure in the coming months we'll see far more in game shots and movies being released.  The team is very committed to making this mod feel like the player is right in the movies, and now with this step we can really begin work on the feel of the game, not just the look. 

Please note that this is open only to the devs at this moment, and we are not looking for Alpha or Beta testers, or Tablers at this time.

V. Meet the Devs

This is a section I hope to include every issue, or if not, at least every couple.  Many of you have talked to us on IRC or on the forum, but who are the people who put together this mod?  I think it is only fitting that I begin with myself.

Brand-X
Senior Modeler and Content Moderator

Brand-X, known to his real friends as Brann, Brand, or just Doom, has been an amateur 3D Modeler from a very young age. Taught first by his father, a Draftsman, Brand's first completed 3D model was Voltron, made on AutoCAD release 12 in 1992.  He is currently the Senior Modeler for Fate of the Galaxy, a position he earned by being the first one to show up.  In addition to his modeling duties, he is also a texturer and the project's content moderator, a position which requires him to inspect the works of other artists in order to ensure the quality of all assets going into the game.  He also is the writer and editor of the Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid, the monthly newsletter in which this article is being published.

A Bartender, Hairstylist, Pilot, Actor, and Gymnastics coach in real life, Brand spends most of his time at one of his jobs, mostly as a bartender and staff developer at Milestones Restaurant in Richmond, BC.  In his spare time he enjoys reading, wine and is an avid DVD collector with a collection of over 200 (All of which he paid for.  He does not pirate movies.  Stop asking.)  He also likes to dress like James Bond.

Brand grew up in Canada and has entirely too much furnature for his apartment. 

He also enjoys writing articles about himself in the third person.

VI. Positions Open

Fate of the Galaxy is hiring!  The following positions need to be filled.  If you are interested in joining the team, please do not hesitate to contact either myself (Brandx0) or Chief1983 via personal message, or by a new topic on the forum.  We can also both be reached on IRC, at #scp-swc on EsperNet.  Previous experience and examples of completed work are an asset, but not a must.  Remember, the faster these positions are filled, the faster the mod will be released!

Webmaster
Effects Artist
Model Converter
Interface Artist
Music Composer
Sound Effects Artist

See the Forum Post for further details. 

Please also note that we are not currently accepting applications for the following:  FREDers, Modelers, or "Idea guys"
This may change in the future.

VII.  Closing Remarks

Well, this concludes the first issue of the Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid.  If there are any sections you would like to see added in future publications, feel free to ask and I'll do everything I can to include them.  Thank you for taking the time to check us out, and we'll be back next month!  From all of us on the project, we bid you goodnight.

Sincerely
-The Fate of the Galaxy Devs

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:42:33 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Re: Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: May 08 Edition
Cool newsletter!

Nicely done :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Yay, more progress!
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Shiny.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Nice. Seems that my dream of fighting SW fleets with a GTD Orion may become real.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Nice. Seems that my dream of fighting SW fleets with a GTD Orion may become real.
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Re: Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: June 08 Edition
I can see it now:

Sathanas .vs. Super Star Destroyer,

OR

Fleet of Terrans .vs. Fleet of Rebels.

Will the Death Star be available as a background? Like, the Sun, or a nebula in the distance?
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I can see it now:

Sathanas .vs. Super Star Destroyer,

OR

Fleet of Terrans .vs. Fleet of Rebels.

Will the Death Star be available as a background? Like, the Sun, or a nebula in the distance?

Sathanas could beat a Deathstar in my opinion.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The DeathStar can blow up planets and has a whole ****load of turrets. I don't think so...

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
The DeathStar can blow up planets and has a whole ****load of turrets. I don't think so...

The Sathanas, when in group, can make stars go supernova. It's main beam cannons are stronger than the Lucifer ones. Etc. I don't think a DeathStar can last long against it. And even if the Sathanas failed against it, there are more Sathanas warships, there are Shivan bombers going in large mobs, there is/are Lucifer warships that are immune to non-beam weapons. Shivans vs Empire - not a match.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Please don't turn this thread into a who would win argument.  Go somewhere else to talk about that, preferably not in our forum
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Do we know which part of history Fate of the Galaxy will happen in? I guess it's Galactic Civil War, right?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yes, for now we're focusing on a pretty broad timeline from the birth of the rebellion up to just before the Vong war.  our actual campaign will be more focused, though we haven't narrowed it down yet, most likely early in the galactic civil war though.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But no Vong, obviously, I hope... Though it would require a very interesting use of the animation code...

So the Death Stars will be giant ships with loads of detail boxes, right?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
There were a few videos of the DeathStar. Flying in the trench and etc.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah that was our old one, but we will definitely be making heavy use of detail boxes.

Anyways, if we could, I'd like to keep this topic for discussion of the newsletter and things we'd like to see in the next issue.

:sigh:

This is the most beautiful mod I have ever seen. So well done, so much effort, and so abundant.

Once this comes out I will never forget it :).
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Please don't turn this thread into a who would win argument.  Go somewhere else to talk about that, preferably not in our forum

Right, that's what spacebattles.com is for.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Nice ships *sorry to necropost* but I wonder how the sabotage droids would work in space. I take it that they would have to be launched like a missile and then they would have to land on the ship and sabotage it, right? And then there's the problem of how one would get them off...

Another question I have is whether there will be any missions on planets. For example, in a fighter/bomber over a city, tatooine, etc. And I know that there is a way to make ground effects solid, but I imagine kind of making a massive ship (acts as the ground and buildings, terrain, etc.) to be able to recreate the effect?

Also, great newsletter!
Creator of Black Sun Corporation, the leading manufacturer of modern warfare.