Author Topic: Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: August 08 Edition  (Read 31695 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: August 08 Edition

Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid:
August 08 Edition

Contents:
I. Status Update
II. Model and Texture Update
III. Custom Planet Backgrounds
IV. Meet the Devs
V. Positions Open
VI. Closing Remarks
VII. Back Issues and Links

I. Status Update

We're on issue 3 so far and it seems we've recieved a good response to this news format, so it is my pleasure to continue to serve as your NewsGrid editor.  For this month we've got some great updates in a number of areas, but I won't spoil it for you yet, so without further ado, welcome to the August issue of the Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid!  I hope you enjoy.

-Brandon Drew (Brand-X)

II. Model and Texture update

This month we've seen the completion of a couple models, which are now in the process of being textured.  As time has gone on it's been great to see the progress of the team, our skillset has definitely improved, and as a result, this month seemed to be the month to revisit our efforts from when we first started this mod, and give them a facelift.  The Imperial I-class Star Destroyer mesh is now complete, and in the process of texturing.  In addition, Turambar has continued texturing the A-Wing, and it's looking very slick, and maje has completed his Z-95 mesh as well, which is also being textured!  All in all another great month on this front!

A-wing Interceptor  (Model completed by Turambar, texture work in progress)

Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (Model completed by Brand-X, texture work in progress)

Z-95 Headhunter (Model completed by maje, texture work in progress)

III. Custom Planet Backgrounds

This month we're proud to present a few more planet backgrounds!

Coruscant (By Brand-X)

Corellia (By Brand-X with assistance from Herra Tohtori)

Tatooine (By Brand-X)

Hoth (By Brand-X)

Kessel (By Brand-X)

Forest Moon of Endor (By Brand-X)

IV. Meet the Devs

This month we're taking a look at Axem!

Joel Reimer (Axem)
Artist

Axem, who is really named Joel Reimer, but prefers not for anyone to know, is an artist working on the Fate of the Galaxy project, and will be assisting in FREDing once the time comes.  When he heard of the old Star Wars Conversion mod, he wanted to join the team, but felt that his skillset was not up to par with the other developers, and chose instead to wait.  Now years later Axem offerred his services to the new Fate of the Galaxy team.

Sources say that Axem may be a clone of Chief, given his strangely similar backstory.  He was originally a Star Trek fan who was converted to the light side after picking up a copy of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter in 2000.  He has never looked back since to that dark time he spent as a Trekkie, and prefers not to talk about it.  He works as a "Dumb Parts Guy's Assistant,"  a position which uses his hyper intelligence and genetically engineered strength to its fullest.  He also polices idiocy among his clients, often with lethal results.

His other contributions to the FreeSpace Open community include working on Starfox: Shadows of Lylat, and the Just Another Day campaign series, for which he is being tried for war crimes after they were used in interrogations of suspected Al Qaeda members.

Axem lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and claims to be Canadian, although most other Canadians will tell you Winnipeg isn't a real part of Canada anyways.

Confirmation of his clone status is awaiting results of a DNA test.  He also does not wear suits, and will likely be terminated from the project because of this.

V. Positions Open

Fate of the Galaxy is still hiring!  The following positions need to be filled.  If you are interested in joining the team, please do not hesitate to contact either myself (Brandx0) or chief1983 via personal message, or by a new topic on the forum.  We can also both be reached on IRC, at #scp-swc on EsperNet.  Previous experience and examples of completed work are an asset, but not a must.  Remember, the faster these positions are filled, the faster the mod will be released!

Webmaster
Effects Artist
Model Converter
Interface Artist
Music Composer
Sound Effects Artist

See the Forum Post for further details.

Please also note that we are not currently accepting applications for the following:  FREDers, Modelers, Texturers, or "Idea guys"
This may change in the future.

VI.  Closing Remarks

As per usual, thanks a lot for taking the time to read this month's newsletter!  Next month we'll have more all new content for you, but for now we'll leave it at that.  The next few months are going to be exciting ("Hush Hush...")

Sincerely
-The Fate of the Galaxy Devs

VII. Back Issues and Links

Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid:
July 08 Edition
June 08 Edition

Links:
Fate of the Galaxy Homepage
Fate of the Galaxy Forum
Fate of the Galaxy Moddb Page

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:27:47 pm by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Fate of the Galaxy NewsGrid: August 08 Edition
The Tatooine and Axem pics are 404.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I can see 'em just fine.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Now so can I.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline spas12

Brandx, I've gotta say, those planets are mighty good. If they don't make it into the final release, I will smash something. The A-Wing and Z-95 are looking good too.
Timin it by the seconds.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Axem's picture is my favorite.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

hey, are you gong to do a september edition? just wondering, the other few have been out in the first couple of days of their months.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah unfortunately I've been very busy with work lately, and simply haven't had the time.  I suspect there won't be a September edition, by the time I get it done it'll be too late heh.

I'll probably do a mini mid-month update though in the next week or two.

Sorry guys, Real LifeTM stepped in
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline maje

Whoo! Thank God, Now I don't feel like I'm under any pressure to finish the GR-75 at least for another two to three weeks.....considering I hit a snag last Sunday and haven't done anything since.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lol dude, I think your enthusiasm is great, but just don't burn yourself out on it here.  It's done when it's done.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
Is there no Newsgrid for this month?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Axem's picture is my favorite.

"Less than three is in the air..........every where i look around"
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is there no Newsgrid for this month?

Probably not, Brand's been busy.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Please also note that we are not currently accepting applications for the following:  FREDers, Modelers, Texturers, or "Idea guys"

I'm waiting...  ;7
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Whoaa! I love the Couruscant planet :D ;7 :eek: Will the creator show us a way how did he do it? ;)

I'm waiting...  ;7
I'm also waiting for FREDer position :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Shade

I want the "Idea Guy" job once it opens... sounds like a good way to get a free badge without having to do much :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I want the "Idea Guy" job once it opens... sounds like a good way to get a free badge without having to do much :p
Also take me into consideration as prospective idea guy ^_^ ;7
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Shade

Nooooo. Mine! Hands off. Although, I might need an assistent to come up with actual ideas I could take credit for...
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
here's one: make x-wings one-hit ISD's

**idea is reserved for Shade**

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
There's a position for you guys, I'm putting together the super secret ninja team as a part of FotG, but you can't tell anyone about it.  As part of your job requirements, these are the kinds of ideas we're looking for, 1 hit ISD kills, turbo boosted MonCals, and a Death star with a rapid fire superlaser.  As this team will be super secret, you'll not be given a badge, and to maintain your secrecy, you'll never be allowed to come into either our IRC channel or our forum again.  This is the ultimate Idea Guy job.  It'll be so secret you can't even tell me or Chief about your ideas.  So you guys want in? =P