Author Topic: The good news and the bad news.  (Read 19672 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
The good news and the bad news.
EDIT: I don't think this needs to be stickied any longer.  Topic locked

Well, I've got some news, some good and some bad.

Let's start with the good.  I've got a new computer finally!  I'm very happy with it and with the vastly increased power I'll be much more efficient with modeling and texturing than ever before (Think: My preview render times have been cut to about 1/10th of the previous amount, plus faster interface with Max and Photoshop)

Now, the bad news.  It's very bad indeed.  I moved my old hard drive from my old computer to the new, and the connection was rather difficult to remove from the old computer.  As a result, it looks as if one of the rods in the power socket was bent, which I didn't notice when plugging it into my new computer.  When I fired up the new computer with this hard drive in it, some kind of power surge occurred.  I'm not sure of the specifics.  So I took the HD into a computer repair shop, who then contacted Maxtor when then couldn't fix it themselves.  What it looks like is that this power surge completely fried the Hard Drive.  Completely fried it.  As a result, it's looking as if all my data is gone.  I had some backups, but most of it is so old that it's not worth even pulling out, and mostly consists of models I've already redone.

So the long and short of it is that the last 2 years of work I've done on modeling and texturing is gone. 

Pretty bad news, eh?  Well, All I can do is look to the future at this point.

So here's how we can look at this:

I'm a much better modeler than I was before.  I can probably redo all of the models lost much more quickly than they took before, and create a better result.  I've developed new techniques in texturing that'll increase the quality of the textures as well, which has made things more efficient and visually appealing.  Will it take me 2 years to redo all of these that I've lost?  Not by a long shot.  I'm not giving a time frame, but I know that I can do better.  Ultimately all this is for me is a challenge (As well as a lesson:  Backup on a separate HD.)  The first draft is done and gone, that was a great chance for me to learn and grow in my art, now it's time to get to work on some really amazing stuff. 

So what can I say other than that?  It's a tough thing to see so much work lost, so many hours, but all we can do is look to the future.  So expect some great stuff coming up from me, I haven't lost hope yet.

As a result as well, though, I'm going to be making FotG my sole priority model wise.  Thus I must apologize to the other teams I've joined recently (Diaspora, Echoes of the Past) that I must resign my tenure with your two groups.  It's been great but my heart has always been with Fate of the Galaxy and that's where my attention is needed most right now.

Now, let's get to work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:14:13 pm by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: The good news and the bad news.
I just kicked the cat in anger!  :mad:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Very bad news. 

One question did they try finding another hard drive of the same model and replacing the controller board?  The data is probably still there but the controller is fried.  Might be worth a shot to look on eBay for a cheap used drive you can swipe the controller board off of. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Maxtor... is CRAP, same thing happened to my HD, How many models have u lost???
Dont tell me that tha Star Destroyers , X-wings, Tie-Bomber, Y-Wing is gone  :( :( :( :( :(

I#ve waited for models like that since 10 year now..... anyway I'll promote ur page and forum everywhere, maybe we can hook some guys from the Xwaupgrade.com page....

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
So I've still got my old laptop HD, so I may be able to salvage a couple older models, the X-Wing, Y-Wing, E-Wing, And most of the ISD I.  More to come on that later
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Indeed bad news, for everyone involved ( you, the other teams- especially Diaspora ...)

I know what it means to loose data to HD errors, had that too.
I can't say how often i had to start from scratch with my missions and mod.

Anyway, i'll try to ignore the bad news, and hope to see new stuff soon.

Offline newman

That sounds really bad, I'm sorry to hear it. This is why I keep backups in 4 locations :)
Anyway, team Diaspora just has one tiny request that Kara asked me to convey..

No animals were harmed during typing of this post.
Yet. :D

(seriously tho we got the max file so it wasn't lost. If you can still finish it, that'd be awesome)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:26:04 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
 :lol:
Now THAT'S a really interesting way to make requests. Have to remember that...

Yeah, don't let them harm the dog...  :lol:

otoh, a hot dog would be nice now...with onions please  :p

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well as for the Basestar, I know the model is still there, but it's about prioritizing my time.  I don't mind if someone wants to continue the Basestar model on their own, but I simply won't have time right now with doing up so much for FotG

Offline newman

Ah, shoot. Being a dog owner I was fully bluffing - no way I could harm one :)
Sorry to hear about that, brand, but I suppose it's understandable.
At any rate, good luck!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Shade

Sorry to hear about the hard drive :blah: It's totally understandable that you'll want to focus on one mod when you've got that much work to redo, so as far as I'm concerned, don't worry about us... I'm sure we'll get a basestar done anyhow, and you did give us a solid start on it :) Anyway, at least your new computer will be able to do stuff faster, so over a period of a couple of years you might actually come out ahead compared to if you still used the old one :p

You do realise though that crashes without good backups come at a price, right? Having lost models, you're legally required to make the replacements at least 20% more awesome, or else you'll face 5 hours of watching Jar-Jar Binks singing karaoke as a punishment. So better get stock up on coffee and smokes and then hunker down with that ISD, cause I know you don't want to face that punishment :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline newman

...or else you'll face 5 hours of watching Jar-Jar Binks singing karaoke as a punishment.

Now that's way beyond the sphere of "cruel and unusual punishment". I don't think
anyone could ever be quite the same after 5 hours of that..

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You do realise though that crashes without good backups come at a price, right? Having lost models, you're legally required to make the replacements at least 20% more awesome, or else you'll face 5 hours of watching Jar-Jar Binks singing karaoke as a punishment.

Whoa, Whoa, you want to punish him in a way that he learns from it, not turn him into a gurgling puddle goo that you can no longer flog for more pretty stuff in 3D.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Shade

Actually, the goal was to scare him enough that it would never come to pass ;)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Now that's way beyond the sphere of "cruel and unusual punishment".

No, if you drink in sufficient quantities beforehand.

Anyway, and what about your planets? Will you just "download" them from the ModDB?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Anyway, and what about your planets? Will you just "download" them from the ModDB?

Those were done before his laptop died it seems, so if he wants them he may be able to get those from it as well when he tries to salvage the X/Y-Wings.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

Just redo the X-wing completely...didn't like the last one so much :)

the ywing is awesome though

Dang, I'm sorry to hear about the HD, it reminds me of when my Maxtor bit the dust, though I didn't have anything nearly as cool on it. I wish you luck on replacing your models, and suggest sending backups to the rest of the team from now on (chief, et al).
We all know you'll be able to do some completely mind-blowing stuff.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
This is why you should have an online FTP for each mod team, or an SVN in which
you keep updated in case your personal computing world goes *poof* overnight.
No one man kills the project if all the files go under.

That said, there's a bunch of companies out there that I researched back when I had  major drive failure.
Didn't end up resorting to using them.. but it's a good possibility they can take the drive apart and pull the data
from the physical platter. It may just be the electronics portion of the drive, and perhaps a small section that would
have been written to when it fired up.

If you want to discuss it further I can go into more detail. I've got a couple recovery utilities too if the thing can actually turn on,
although I'd really really, suggest a professional physical data recovery if what you described has happened.

Most of them have a free or cheap evaluation to see if it's even worth trying to go after. Might save you many man hours.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Awww.... :(

*backups all missions created in the past 2,5 years.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]