Author Topic: Playing Multiplayer, having trouble seeing games.  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Playing Multiplayer, having trouble seeing games.
Me and a buddy are trying(again!) to play some FS2 co-op. We no longer live together, which was our previous issue(connecting to FS2netD on the same internet connection). However, I can see a game that he hosts on the FS2netD website, but I don't see it in the server list in FS2 itself, and vice versa. The setup post for FS2 multiplayer is seriously outdated. Even if nobody can help me with my current issue, I would seriously suggest a new OP for setting up your multiplayer games gets posted somewhere.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Playing Multiplayer, having trouble seeing games.
Me and a buddy are trying(again!) to play some FS2 co-op. We no longer live together, which was our previous issue(connecting to FS2netD on the same internet connection). However, I can see a game that he hosts on the FS2netD website, but I don't see it in the server list in FS2 itself, and vice versa. The setup post for FS2 multiplayer is seriously outdated. Even if nobody can help me with my current issue, I would seriously suggest a new OP for setting up your multiplayer games gets posted somewhere.
Are your ports forwarded correctly? I can try hosting a game some time and seeing if either of you can connect to it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I think MINE are, and only one of us needs to do it(whichever one of us is hosting), right? http://imgur.com/HFIjwnu

edit: I just added my entire FS2 directory as an exception to Windows Defender, so I'll try again later to see if that helps.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, besides the physical router port forwarding, any software firewalls need to be disabled or allow access to the FS2 executable.  When I'm home behind a physical firewall, I tend to turn off Windows Firewall and the like to avoid the redundancy and prevent issues like this.  But, there do still seem to be some bugs in FS2's ability to connect to servers in some situations even when port forwarding is correct and all other firewalls are disabled.  You can try to have him add your home IP to the list in the multiplayer options in game.  When FS2NetD/PXO detection is failing, that usually works as a temp solution.  If you run Dynamic DNS on your router via ChangeIP, DynDNS, etc, you can have your friend enter in the hostname instead of the IP and it'll always work when you host, even if your IP changes.  You can still play FS2NetD games, it just helps the client know where to ping for a server.  And of course be sure FS2NetD is configured to be used on both ends, but hopefully that goes without saying, just checking though.

Should probably mention too, that if you guys can't seem to resolve your connection issues, there's probably a coder or two that would like to have you run some experimental builds to debug the situation so we can sort out some of FS2's troublesome connection code.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Alright. I'm getting a little fed up, even though I shouldn't be, because this game is over half as old as I am, and one would expect fan-made netcode to get a little finicky at times.

Both mine and his firewalls have set wxLauncher *and* our FS2 directories as exceptions. Both of us are logged into FS2netD. Both of us are running the same FS2.exe. Both of us are using the same mod(mvps 2014). Both times, in the lobby, we can see that there's a game(in the chatroom, top right window says games: 1 if either of us are hosting). His ports aren't forwarded, so I'm not surprised that I don't see his, but I'm pretty sure mine ARE fowarded correctly. See above post or this link: http://imgur.com/HFIjwnu If something in that picture is incorrect, please inform me and I'll fix it and try again.

We also added each other's IP into the list in multi options. Are there any additional settings we need to have set properly that I haven't mentioned? Is there anything missing? If a multi coder needs more answers, please ask and I'll post them straightaway.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
His ports aren't forwarded, so I'm not surprised that I don't see his, but I'm pretty sure mine ARE fowarded correctly. See above post or this link: http://imgur.com/HFIjwnu If something in that picture is incorrect, please inform me and I'll fix it and try again.
Can he not get his ports forwarded for some reason? It would be useful additional information to find out whether or not you can see him host a game with his ports forwarded.

Given that those are the right ports, the only other thing to check is whether or not that's actually your computer's local IP address (I recently had an annoyance where I discovered that my computer apparently forgot its static IP settings, so all of my port-forwarding was pointing towards an unused address until I fixed it).

Another "just in case" thing to check would be to see if it works with no mods selected; if that still doesn't work, it might be worth checking to see if you can see a third-party server (for which I can help).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
He's even less computer literate than I am and I'm not sure I could walk him through it without me actually seeing his router/computer in front of me. I'll give it a shot when we try again and also trying it without mods.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The only other thing I can guess is that there are certain router features that have been introduced since the time of FS2 that interfere with older games' netcode, and sometimes have to be disabled to get things working.  Offhand, I can't recall the names of any of these so I can't really help you out there.  But things along the lines of QoS, traffic shaping, other types of special firewall options the router might tout as a 'feature' but probably just mucks things up, etc.  I run a pretty basic OpenWRT build myself, and since doing so I've had surprisingly few issues with others connecting to games I host.

I was typing this reply as Ralwood posted his, I was going to mention that once my build finishes, I will be running a current nightly standalone server as well, which others have been able to connect to successfully.  It's running AddressSanitizer, so no guarantees it won't crash, but if it does, it will provide use very useful info in helping to stabilize the multiplayer code going forward.

Anyway, I'm compiling the new build while trying to upload the MediaVPs to the server, although I'll probably run it in vanilla FS2 mode for now.  So unless the name of the standalone mentions the MediaVPs, I wouldn't try connecting to it with any mods enabled.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
He's even less computer literate than I am and I'm not sure I could walk him through it without me actually seeing his router/computer in front of me. I'll give it a shot when we try again and also trying it without mods.

You could try something like team viewer to remotely control his computer, I've found this quite useful with computer-illerate family members.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Windows also has Remote Assistance built in.