Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589101 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Neither game is pure newtonian. Pure newtonian sucks for dogfighting. Instead both games use partial newtonian physics with different concessions for keeping things fun and accessible.

It's a really silly thing to argue over and which flavor you prefer is primarily a matter of taste.

Offline MikeRoz

No, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to discuss this topic without a massive amount of condescension.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Perhaps I was being a bit condescending, but with a project like Star Citizen, with so much of people's time and resources at stake, it's just...there's so little oversight. It feels like a big bubble waiting to burst, it wouldn't take much to really sink it. It's promised so much and it's only just starting to show the skeleton of something even close to a functional game...I mean, 90% of what I gathered was that systems would have a lot more than 32 players in them. The game sounded a lot like an MMO, but I'm not sure if that's what it is now. I mean, really...32 players in a system? Ok, there's going to have to be a LOT of systems to make that interesting. Like, thousands of instances of thousands of systems. Where is that on the roadmap? It's all pretty spaceships and CGI movies, and no polish. No polish on things as basic as the flight model and how different ships interact. It's worrying, and whatever happens to Star Citizen will have ripple effects throughout many communities - gaming, investing, crowd funding - lots of stuff is tied into this project, and with that amount riding on it, the lack of accountability makes me nervous.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I mean.

There's this game. You may have heard of it. EVE Online.

To borrow one of its trailer lines, I Was There. I'm on killmails from the single largest player vs. player battle that has ever happened in online gaming. We had several thousand spaceships duking it out. I sunk a good decade into EVE before I quit, and will probably not return short of the Goonerdammerung.

But I'd rather hop into an interceptor and troll around EVE than play Star Citizen on so many levels. I can see what I'm doing just for starters. Star Citizen is amazingly pixel*****y for a modern game; it's like Sierra adventure game guys made a flight sim. At least The Babylon Project guys recognized that their combat had to take place at close range to hit things and allowed that to be possible; Star Citizen doesn't. People can always manage to extend to make it worse. I can actually see my ship and other ships and maintain situational awareness. I can tell if I'm hitting a target; I can easily see where targets are; I can interact with other players far more easily on several levels, with a well-defined ruleset that everybody knows; I can find things to shoot easier; I can find other players by their hundreds or thousands if I go to the right place. Jita 4-4 undock will always have more people on it than Star Citizen instances can cope with, even right before downtime.

And EVE is a really bad game, when you get down to it.

This is where we are. The only thing Star Citizen does better than EVE is give me a stick and a rudder.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meanwhile, in Elite:

Now, to be fair, getting that many players into one instance is really hard (people have to wing up, drop into the instance together, then disband the wing), but still.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I still don't understand why Frontier made that gorgeous black hole distortion effect and then forgot to render the black hole
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

What do you mean, "forgot to render the black hole"?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Black holes in Elite lack accretion disks.

Offline Luis Dias

Oh I thought he was going to mention "there's no actual black circle in there", which I would have trouble defending (apart from trying to come up with the idea that there's some kind of nebula in front of it).

Black holes do not necessarily have accretion disks, but wikipedia seems to point that Sag A probably has one, so there's that.

No I do mean the lack of an actual black circle. It should fill a significant fraction of the distorted area, certainly enough to see.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, that is what I thought and I agree. Accretion disks would be awesome too, but they now would have to be all inspired by Interstellar or everyone would complain.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that the black hole was easily the most impressive thing about that movie, I don't see that as a bad thing :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also arguably the most accurate considering they dragged in one of the better astrophysics guys alive to make sure it looked right.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

They spent a lot of computing power to render it astrophysically correct, although they skipped the assymetrical outline, which was actually much more correct, because it was more confusing for the audiences.

I think the inexistence of a black circle is the most indefensible one though, because it's not like it's hard to render such a thing.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I've been to Sgr A* in Space Engine and in E:D. SE has a listed diameter for the black hole proper of 0.913 AU (!!!). Even from several thousand light-seconds away, the gravitational distortion of the skybox is unbelievably disorienting; I'm too lazy to upload a pic, but anybody with Space Engine can check it out themselves. It's easy to see why FDev didn't go 1:1 with (supposed) reality concerning Sgr A*, but I still think it'd be more overwhelming and awe-inspiring if they had kept the core's actual size and sheer disturbance intact.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Luis Dias

0.913 AU? Really? So off the mark. Best estimates point it to between 40 and 50 AU... It's not like it would be more disorienting, it would be just noticeable farther away. If they could add proper falling physics into the BH it would be a really cool death.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
0.913 AU? Really? So off the mark. Best estimates point it to between 40 and 50 AU... It's not like it would be more disorienting, it would be just noticeable farther away. If they could add proper falling physics into the BH it would be a really cool death.

Walk the Line is absolutely mandatory.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

Hmmm? What are you referring to? I mean, I liked that movie, but then again Phoenix is always good in anything.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This thread is ****ing boring now. Where's all the star citizen bashing and derek smart shenanigans?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Hmmm? What are you referring to? I mean, I liked that movie, but then again Phoenix is always good in anything.

Its the sound Ray Butts and an SA-43 Hammerhead make when they fall into a Black Hole.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”