Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 592809 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
   So 2.2 will have some more features on the FPS side and 2.3 will have some more and so on until we sort of what we consider the basic functionality.

I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh Star Marine is cancelled or Where’s Star Marine!?”

When we’ve got that basic set together we will sort of turn on the map for Star Marine because all Star Marine is, is a game mode.

All the non-certainties in his speech are the mark of someone who's making it up as they go along.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
We have never worked with Illfonic. We have always intended to throw out Star Marine. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Preorders are wise.

+42
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You know, between this and Trump, I'm pretty sure I've crossed into the Alternate Universe.

It's time to grow a *****in' goatee and practice my eyebrow-raise, I think.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Some cracks are appearing over one of Crobert's recent statements toward backers.

This could be it.

2016 might actually be the year Star Citizen bites the dust. The failure that keeps on giving could come completely off the rails relatively soon. And there are front-row seats for when the train wreck finally gets a-rollin'.

What a time to be alive.

Edit: Link for more context.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:32:05 am by That Man »

Offline Kszyhu

And yet, the funding still flows in.

Offline Luis Dias

It's like spice.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The jpgs must flow.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Some cracks are appearing over one of Crobert's recent statements toward backers.

This could be it.

2016 might actually be the year Star Citizen bites the dust. The failure that keeps on giving could come completely off the rails relatively soon. And there are front-row seats for when the train wreck finally gets a-rollin'.

What a time to be alive.

Yeah this post, if true, is particularly damning:

Offline Kszyhu

Access to the PU is free this weekend, if someone without a pledge really wants to test it for themselves. Even though I haven't encountered any crashes or very obvious bugs for first fifteen minutes (though a crash happened just afterwards), there's this overwhelming feeling of everything being held together by a duct tape and wishful thinking.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

That SA thread is entertaining as hell, but it's growing faster than I can keep up with.
One strange observation is, that Derek can write coherent and sometimes outright funny posts if he is not in FULL RAEG!!!!111 mode.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

That SA thread is entertaining as hell, but it's growing faster than I can keep up with.
One strange observation is, that Derek can write coherent and sometimes outright funny posts if he is not in FULL RAEG!!!!111 mode.

This is most Goons, in my experience.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

The thread moves insanely fast, I read like 10-15 pages, came back a day or so later to find this one funny picture... Only to find like 40 new pages were added. Entertaining indeed though.
And also yeah, Derek smart Derek smart DEREK SMART has really mellowed out with age. He has gathered a bit of wisdom with his greyhairs. I find his recent posts/blog/twitter good reads on this subject of scamcitizen.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Looks like that SA thread is behind a paywall now. Anyone know what's going on in it?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Access to the PU is free this weekend, if someone without a pledge really wants to test it for themselves. Even though I haven't encountered any crashes or very obvious bugs for first fifteen minutes (though a crash happened just afterwards), there's this overwhelming feeling of everything being held together by a duct tape and wishful thinking.

This is every single game.  "polish" is just the process of hiding the tape. 
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

e:d has held together on a basic physics and game feel level since its earliest prototypes
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Looks like that SA thread is behind a paywall now. Anyone know what's going on in it?
Aaaw, it was such a blast to read too :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
e:d has held together on a basic physics and game feel level since its earliest prototypes

E:D has simplistic flight model that does not even attempt to physically simulate forces acting on a spacecraft. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Also, in my subjective opinion, Star Citizen game feel, as a whole, is already superior to Elite: "aeroplanes in space" Dangerous. Even if Elite "physics" may feel more polished.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Kszyhu

The entire Games subforum seems to be paywalled now. It's a shame, too, it was one of the few places you could read something negative about SC without it being drowned out by vocal parts of the fanbase. I think the last significant event was banning of a goon from RSI forums for informing someone about chargebacks through the PM system.

This is every single game.  "polish" is just the process of hiding the tape. 

Maybe you're right, but it didn't feel like something easily fixable.

E:D has simplistic flight model that does not even attempt to physically simulate forces acting on a spacecraft. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Also, in my subjective opinion, Star Citizen game feel, as a whole, is already superior to Elite: "aeroplanes in space" Dangerous. Even if Elite "physics" may feel more polished.

I was interested in the 'physically simulated' aspect of SC at first, but the fact a Mustang or those Vandal fighters can fly in a straight line killed my faith in that. It's a shame, too, the potential (and limitations) of that approach were visible back in 0.8, when the Aurora was unable to yaw at high speeds due to IFCS freaking out. Besides, KSP already does that, there's nothing impressive in it. As for E:D's 'airplane physics', I'm guessing it could be easily fixable by changing some values in XML file somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:25:37 pm by Kszyhu »

SA paywalls its forums periodically as part of its comprehensive suite of ingroup cultivation techniques, they'll open them up again eventually (long before CIG delivers on a promise, I'm sure).

star citizen's flight model attempts to simulate a shoebox with trackballs on the corners and it does it very badly
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The only thing that's even remotely plane-like in Elite is the slow yawing. You don't have to worry about gravity, lift, stability, altitude, or pretty much anything that's a core part of plane sims. You have side thrusters and reverse thrust too.

And the limited yawing just makes dogfights interesting, as you have to match orientation with your target so you're on the same plane. Too bad the AI is pretty ****ty though...

Elite handling feels more polished because it was designed from the ground up to feel good to play, unlike SC which was designed to "simulate" and then they had to hack in actual gameplay.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded