Author Topic: Carrack class light cruiser  (Read 53948 times)

Carrack class light cruiser
Is any one making the Carrack? If no one has claimed it, I woudn't mind having a go at it.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Carrack class light cruiser
Nope.  Can't wait to see what you can do.  :)  And welcome to Fate of the Galaxy, don't think I've seen you around much.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Are we making shields for the larger ships?

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
NICE!

And no, no shield meshes. The SCP's Surface Shields function will be used.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I always liked the Carrack, not quite sure why, I think it's because wasn't a big stroppy bugger like the Supercaps, but was a nice challenge to face in combat, unlike the Corellian Corvette, which was always a bit too easy to take down (3 Proton Torps would do the job iirc).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not too bad.  I think the blisters and the radar might have a few too many polies, and would look just fine with fewer polies and good smoothing.  It definitely looks like a carrack though.  The only thing now is to make it look more inspired, and alive.  It's not a heavily referenced ship though, so it'll take some imagination.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline aRaven

I always liked the Carrack, not quite sure why, I think it's because wasn't a big stroppy bugger like the Supercaps, but was a nice challenge to face in combat, unlike the Corellian Corvette, which was always a bit too easy to take down (3 Proton Torps would do the job iirc).

It's six(3x2) direct torpedo hits :P.

And the strength of the corvette depends obviously of its implementation in a game. It's much harder to take down in XWA than in XvsTIE.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, I think what I used to do was 3 Torps to drop shields, disable with Ions, destroy at leisure.

True about how they are implemented, they actually used to arrive in squadrons in the old XvsTIE :lol:

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well, if the Vette can at least take a few direct hits from the ISD's big turbolasers, don't suspect you'll be blowing it up with a few torps from your X-Wing.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

it also depends if it's from imps or someone else. IIRC, almost all non imp correlians were modified....
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Anyway, bobbtman, any more progress?  I'm curious what kind of setup you have for modeling and rendering too.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Also what program are you modeling it in?
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Not a whole lot of progress, what with thanksgiving and midterms and all. Let's see, I've got the gun turrets put on, only missing the tractor beam emplacements. I was planning to just select a plate of armour, make it a subsystem and saying there's a tractor beam behind it.

This is all being done on 3ds max, if it means anything.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since you're in Max, you may want to look into the clay render tutorials here or here.  Obviously not going to make your model any better but they can really help draw the oohs and aahs from the fans :)

Also, I'm curious what you're using for reference.  I'm specifically curious about your engines, as the pic on the Wookiee differs significantly.  I also have some shots here if you need more refs.

Hi, I'm making a machinima for JK3, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us use your model once you are finished, all we'd need is finished screen shots from multiple angels of the ship, so we can animate it into our show.

Hi, I'm making a machinima for JK3, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us use your model once you are finished, all we'd need is finished screen shots from multiple angels of the ship, so we can animate it into our show.

Sure, I guess. I'm unfamiliar with those terms you used, though. What's a machinima and what's JK3?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Machinima in this circumstance is using the in-game models and engine to record video. It's basically using the character models as puppets.

JK3=Jedi Knight 3, Jedi Academy, a first-person shooter from LucasArts.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Machinima in this circumstance is using the in-game models and engine to record video. It's basically using the character models as puppets.

JK3=Jedi Knight 3, Jedi Academy, a first-person shooter from LucasArts.

Gotcha

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
@LampArtPro
Would you like to make some Cutscenes for us?

Something Like:

Imperial Troops taking over a Planet (like that from X-Wing in Tour of Duty 1)
Vader is killing a Traitor (TIE Fighter, Harkovs Dead)
And so on?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Revan: Who is this us you speak of?  I don't remember asking for any cutscenes for FotG at least.