Author Topic: Mysterious Transport  (Read 17146 times)

Does anyone know what this little ship is? It, or a version of it, has popped up in the Shadows of the Empire comic.

On the topic of this mystery ship: do you guys need any unarmed transports? I'd like to try my hand at making it, if you guys could possibly use it...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Does anyone know what this little ship is? It, or a version of it, has popped up in the Shadows of the Empire comic.

On the topic of this mystery ship: do you guys need any unarmed transports? I'd like to try my hand at making it, if you guys could possibly use it...
yeah, that rebel fleet at the end of ESB has a couple ships i for one never seen elsewhere.
pretty ugly for it to be worthwhile, IMO.

Oh? With only one image to go off of, it'll be a bit more flexible to work with.

I'm gonna make it!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Have fun with it then :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Then it's gonna be the Bobbtmann-class light freighter.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Yeah, right. :)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, right. :)

If you do a good enough job on it, I wouldn't say that's too far of a stretch - especially since it doesn't appear to already have any name.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
exactly, its weird a ship in freaking ESB doesn't already have a history to it, this is a rare opportunity.

I just hope it's not two ships in front of each other. Like say, a Corellian Corvette in the background and a podracer in the foreground...
EDIT: Seriously though, I can't shake the feeling that I've seen that, or part of that, somewhere before. Maybeeee... Star Wars Starfighter? Rebel Assault? Rogue Squadron?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:59:14 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
My essential guide says nothing regarding a ship of that particular configuration, though I did briefly (all of two seconds) think it might be whatever class Hound's Tooth is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I just hope it's not two ships in front of each other. Like say, a Corellian Corvette in the background and a podracer in the foreground...
EDIT: Seriously though, I can't shake the feeling that I've seen that, or part of that, somewhere before. Maybeeee... Star Wars Starfighter? Rebel Assault? Rogue Squadron?

I'm thinking X-wing Alliance. It's got a lot of light freighters and transports.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I have wondered about that too. The initial sketches I made of it were based on a still image, but after watching a clip I had to change my interpretation because there was some parallax motion where I didn't think there would be. The shape of the ship has changed a bit, but it's still one ship.

So I've started working on it. A little different from the image. I've been working from memory, since my memory stick is broken and I don't have the internet at home.

It's a bit bigger than it was probably meant to be, around ninety metres, give or take ten. It's that size that the pylon sticking out the back can accomodate the class-A cargo modules. I think there's already a freighter in the game that carries those modules, so it'd be good to keep them standardized. The little guy standing next to it is 1.9 metres, which is 6' 2". The bubble he's next to will be either the cockpit or an observation bubble. If we take after the Millenium Falcon, then the cockpit will be the right-hand bubble.

It's around 3200 triangles.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
i thought it looked more like two of the ship in the hitchhiker's guide movie with a plyon tying them together, and then there;s the arm for mounting cargo like in your model, going off that pic.
but hey, its an obscure shot, and that's just what i see.

I did intentionally change the shape of the two pods. They were more cylindrical, but I narrowed and raised their ends to make them a bit more dynamic.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Maybe you can make the non-cockpit bubble a turret-bubble?
Maybe have a quad laser or something on it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I'm liking it so far, one suggestion though would be to make the pods different from each other, to show a reason for the offset cargo pylon at the back.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
For some reason those front sections remind me a bit of Bossk's ship, though that's even a bit further from the ESB movie design in its angularity.  I wonder if anyone ever took a couple pictures of the filming model or anything, and they're just sitting in some cabinet at ILM.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hound%27s_Tooth

Anyway it looks cool, and if you're doing the cargo module there it might be neat to do some of the other associated ships as well...Can save memory that way by sharing textures, and you can never have enough convoy variety, right? ;7

I'm liking it so far, one suggestion though would be to make the pods different from each other, to show a reason for the offset cargo pylon at the back.

I was thinking the biggest way I will set the two apart from each other was the way the arm and the docking pylon were attached to the ship. Right now they're just floating behind the ship, so they'll need to be integrated.

Which brings me to the suggestion of the quad turret in the bubble. The back extensions feel different enough from the ship that they could be things tacked on by the rebel alliance, to make it more useful for them. The arm rises just above the cargo module, so it's a good place for a turret. Maybe the alliance added it onto an unarmed craft.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So are you going for a Corellian look, or what?