Author Topic: Too much blinding in BP  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
Too much blinding in BP
I just played through Blue Planet just now for the first time. The campaign was great  :D :yes: however I have a little problem I would like to mention about the special effects.

When a bomb or big explosion occurs in front of you, your entire screen whites out for a few seconds, during which time you cannot see anything. I played this and found that in most of the missions there are a lot of bombs going off at the same time, or in close proximity to each other. This caused my screen to white out for many seconds at a time to the point where I take my hand off my mouse and sit there until it all comes back. I might be in the middle of a dogfight and have to break off my attack because I cannot see anything.

I think this effect is good and makes sense. However you should be blinded by bombs that blow up in your face at most 300 meters away as a punishment for looking at the explosion at such close proximity, instead of a little bomb blowing up 1500 meters in the distance whiting your screen out. I found that this effect, although neat at the beginning, became a nuisance later on in the game when more stuff was going on in the background.

Perhaps you could update the effect to white out the screen only for big capitol ships blowing up or for bombs blowing up right in front of your face.

Other than that, Blue Planet was a great experience. Thank You!
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Too much blinding in BP
Do you by some chance have access to the 3.6.12 Beta MediaVPs?

Because otherwise I don't know how the heck you'd have access to that effect at all.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)

Because otherwise I don't know how the heck you'd have access to that effect at all.

Yes (brother of Galemp) I do have access to the beta MediaVPs, and when I first mentioned to Galemp about the whiting out he said that BP had its own effects and that I should mention it here. But I originally thought it had something to do with the new special effects. I think that neither of us really noticed this problem in any other campaigns because, perhaps, there weren't as many bombs going off in FS1 or FS2 as there were in BP.
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Yes (brother of Galemp) I do have access to the beta MediaVPs, and when I first mentioned to Galemp about the whiting out he said that BP had its own effects and that I should mention it here. But I originally thought it had something to do with the new special effects. I think that neither of us really noticed this problem in any other campaigns because, perhaps, there weren't as many bombs going off in FS1 or FS2 as there were in BP.

Here's what happened.

The 3.6.12 MediaVPs consist in some significant part of effects ported from Blue Planet 2, War in Heaven. These including the scripted blinding flash that you're discussing.

However, these effects haven't been thoroughly tested with Blue Planet 1, Age of Aquarius. BP1 makes extensive use of a weapon called the Shivan Megabomb, which does a crap-ton of damage. This is, I'm guessing, the weapon causing the blinding issue.

You don't notice the problem in other campaigns because they don't use the Shivan Megabomb.

By using the 3.6.12 MediaVPs with AoA, you're effectively testing the BP2 effects on BP1. And it seems like we need to make some changes to preserve backwards compatibility. Axem has reported similar issues on AoA with huge bombs whiting out the whole screen.

So thank you. We'll take a look at this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:52:12 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Blue Planet SFX are being merged into the Media VPs, but I haven't seen things this bad in FSPort or FS2. I figured this was the source of the offending script.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Blue Planet SFX are being merged into the Media VPs, but I haven't seen things this bad in FSPort or FS2. I figured this was the source of the offending script.

I'm discussing it with The_E for clarification. But Blue Planet 1 in its vanilla state does not use any scripts of this type, so far as I know.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Correction. It appears the problem is due to the interaction between the BP2 explosions script and a BP1 predecessor.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Hmm. Perhaps you should issue a patch for AoA removing the flashy script, ensuring compatibility with the upcoming MediaVPs?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're looking at solutions right now.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
That's fantastic. :) Keep up the good work, Battuta.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's fantastic. :) Keep up the good work, Battuta.

Don't give me any credit; Zacam, The_E, Fury and Wanderer will probably be the ones to get this done. I'm just a talkative chap.

Don't give me any credit; Zacam, The_E, Fury and Wanderer will probably be the ones to get this done. I'm just a talkative chap.

Do we need to give you another title, say, press secretary?  :p
"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.  Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
-J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad Gita

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

Do we need to give you another title, say, press secretary?  :p

I think "talkative chap" is more appropriate :D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm closing this topic.

1) Mediavps 3.6.12 are not compatible with any other Wanderer's flashy explosions script, new or old.
2) I was aware of this problem from the start.
3) Yes, there will be an update to AoA. After release of FSO 3.6.12 and mediavps 3.6.12.
4) These beta mediavps were not meant to be distributed.