Author Topic: Only some models seem upgraded?  (Read 6367 times)

Only some models seem upgraded?
Hello friends, sorry in advance if I break any rules. I used to spend a lot of time here under a different username I can't remember, but I couldn't figure out my old account. Anyways I downloaded the Knossos launcher and was really impressed with how easy it was to use! I downloaded the Freespace 2 Upgrade Project \ MediaVPs, enabled all the VPs, and booted the game up.

Some ships looked incredible! The Ulysses for example is wildly overhauled, and matches the model shown in the Wiki, the GVD Hatshepsut looks wild and bristling with lights and slick textures. The Loki, Hercules, and Myrmidon all look pretty much the same as their  retail selves however. It seems to be a totally mixed bag, and it's VERY noticeable just going through the tech room, versus looking at the models showcased wiki. Is this a fair comparison, or are a lot of the FSO models featured in the wiki custom skin jobs that aren't supposed to be a part of the out-of-the-box experience for the Upgrade Project?

I really appreciate any guidance people can give me towards figuring out if I have a configuration issue or if I'm simply not working off good reference material. Thank you!

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Re: Only some models seem upgraded?
Hi and welcome back. c:
The loki and herc should be upgraded, the myrmidon is still missing its upgrade I think. It sounds like that you are missing files for some reason.
Did you do the manual install or though knossos?
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Did the install through Knossos. I also attempted to verify the integrity of the files and it passed 14 for 14. Is there a better way to verify? Or a way to manually drop the files into  a Knossos install?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The modernity, complexity and degree of difference between the original and upgraded models varies considerably ship to ship. The Herc and Loki look quite similar in their upgraded form to their original form, until you look closely. What's something that will only bring the most recent MediaVPs that's changed a lot since retail... Mentu maybe? Arcadia? Also, maybe post a picture of a couple of ships that aren't upgraded vs a couple that are?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Are you not seeing modeled cockpits with little guys on the Herc/Loki? If you're not seeing those something's wrong.

The modernity, complexity and degree of difference between the original and upgraded models varies considerably ship to ship. The Herc and Loki look quite similar in their upgraded form to their original form, until you look closely. What's something that will only bring the most recent MediaVPs that's changed a lot since retail... Mentu maybe? Arcadia? Also, maybe post a picture of a couple of ships that aren't upgraded vs a couple that are?

Nah this ain't it, the Herc and Loki look wildly better in their upgraded forms even at a glance. There's absolutely no mistaking the two.

But yes, definitely post pics.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are you not seeing modeled cockpits with little guys on the Herc/Loki? If you're not seeing those something's wrong.

Nah this ain't it, the Herc and Loki look wildly better in their upgraded forms even at a glance. There's absolutely no mistaking the two.

That's only true if you are very familiar with the retail versions like most of us vets are. New players or others who haven't played for years may very easily mistake the two if they aren't paying attention.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I can only think of two models that haven't had any completed upgrades at all... The Demon and the Argo.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

SO I fired it back up again this evening, and I got a bunch of errors and the game would only launch if I hit "Debug", but all the models seem to be in play now? I still see differences between the tech room models and the reference material of what they look like in FSO, but something definitely  changed. The only thing I did to troubleshoot was verify my file integrity last night but it passed all checks, so I'm not sure what to make of that. Thanks everyone for being so helpful though, I really appreciate how welcoming and wonderful this community is!

Edit: I'm guessing the differences I'm seeing are due to how the reference pics are posed in the Wiki, and flattering lighting being used to make them look sleeker and blacker. I don't think I need anymore help troubleshooting at this point unless anyone has any suggestions to see how far I can tax the game with additional upgrades etc. Thanks again everyone!

I can only think of two models that haven't had any completed upgrades at all... The Demon and the Argo.

Hygeia was started but never put into the game (it was only used for renders). :(

Ganymede (unused in the main campaign) and the Zephyrus gasminer were neither.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
SO I fired it back up again this evening, and I got a bunch of errors and the game would only launch if I hit "Debug", but all the models seem to be in play now?
That's something that should be investigated.  Hitting debug isn't some kind of magical button to make errors go away; it just means that the engine is ignoring them and weird things may happen down the line.  There's something definitely wrong.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Should I verify integrity again?
Post screenshots \ logs?

Happy to do whatever :)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
To get the ships in game looking darker and thus more similar to the tech room images, try pasting this into the flags setting:

-ambient_factor 65 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.5 -spec_static 2.5 -spec_tube 2. -ogl_spec 80     

Also remember to disable 'emissive light from ships' in the FSO graphics options.

If you like it, and wish for it to be applied to every campaign, go to the cog in the top right of Konssos then click on global flags. Paste the custom flag info above, select the options you want from the drop down list then hit 'apply to all'. Pic attached.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
For maximum eye candy:

Click 'on' to everything that says 'Enable...something...'  (except the aforementioned emissive light from ships)

Click 'off' to everything that says 'Disable...something...'

NB - some people's rigs have difficulties running smoothly with the 'shadows' option turn on. If you get poor performance, try turning this off first as this may correct it. If you have no problems then leave it on, as they look bloody lovely  :D
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Debug log

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
Opened log 'data/fs2_open.log', Sat Sep 29 11:23:29 2018 ...
  Initializing SDL...
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.8.0
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 11
  -ogl_spec 80
  -spec_static 2.5
  -spec_point 1.5
  -spec_tube 2.
  -ambient_factor 65
  -no_emissive_light
  -soft_particles
  -post_process
  -fxaa
  -enable_shadows
  -dualscanlines
  -rearm_timer
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -warp_flash
  -mod MVPS-3.8.1
  -parse_cmdline_only
Building file index...
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0xaa083400
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_animglows.vp' with a checksum of 0x47acbbc4
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0xf257e0e7
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_s.vp' with a checksum of 0x7698a215
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_t.vp' with a checksum of 0x31ae053f
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_v.vp' with a checksum of 0x9f905c98
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_1.vp' with a checksum of 0xdb59b224
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_2.vp' with a checksum of 0x704bef0b
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_3.vp' with a checksum of 0x4dd494ae
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Compatibility.vp' with a checksum of 0x8e4d6abc
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xa9b797ab
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_music.vp' with a checksum of 0x9cdb90df
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_radaricons.vp' with a checksum of 0x9f514e46
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_root.vp' with a checksum of 0xc2aa5954
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\Root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xce10d76c
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\smarty_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xddeb3b1e
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\sparky_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x164fe65a
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xa11d56f1
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\stu_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd77da83a
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Searching root 'C:\Users\plogu\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\MVPS-3.8.1\' ... 0 files
Searching root 'C:\Users\plogu\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\' ... 0 files
Searching root 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\' ... 0 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Advanced.vp' ... 1654 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_animglows.vp' ... 1735 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Assets.vp' ... 1056 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_s.vp' ... 175 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_t.vp' ... 333 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_assets_v.vp' ... 209 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_1.vp' ... 26 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_2.vp' ... 31 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_CB_ANI_3.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\MV_Compatibility.vp' ... 943 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_effects.vp' ... 2080 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_music.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_radaricons.vp' ... 24 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\MVPS-3.8.1\mv_root.vp' ... 688 files
Searching root 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\' ... 13 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\Root_fs2.vp' ... 157 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\smarty_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\sparky_fs2.vp' ... 3027 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' ... 1337 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\stu_fs2.vp' ... 2355 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango1_fs2.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango2_fs2.vp' ... 15 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\tango3_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'F:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\warble_fs2.vp' ... 52 files
Found 27 roots and 16026 files.
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_root-lcl.tbm' ...
Setting language to English
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_root-lcl.tbm' ...
Game Settings Table: Using Standard Loops For SEXP Arguments
Game Settings Table: Using standard event chaining behavior
Game Settings Table: External shaders are DISABLED
game_settings.tbl(line 2): Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Target Version:] instead.

Error: game_settings.tbl(line 2):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Target Version:] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

Int3(): From C:\projects\fs2open-github-com\code\osapi\dialogs.cpp at line 355
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 162 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX-FASTDBG.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes

To get the ships in game looking darker and thus more similar to the tech room images, try pasting this into the flags setting:

-ambient_factor 65 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.5 -spec_static 2.5 -spec_tube 2. -ogl_spec 80     

Also remember to disable 'emissive light from ships' in the FSO graphics options.

If you like it, and wish for it to be applied to every campaign, go to the cog in the top right of Konssos then click on global flags. Paste the custom flag info above, select the options you want from the drop down list then hit 'apply to all'. Pic attached.

Didn't end up digging it but I appreciate the suggestion!

There's your problem. MVPS 3.8.1 require a recent nightly, they're not compatible with 3.8 which is over a year old now.

Also a note for lighting settings: -spec_exp and -ogl_spec do literally nothing for any build in the past 3ish years. And I don't mean "it's hard to see the difference", I mean "the engine doesn't interact with those flags in any way". They just don't work with the deferred lighting renderer used since 3.7.5 nightlies.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

That's only true if you are very familiar with the retail versions like most of us vets are. New players or others who haven't played for years may very easily mistake the two if they aren't paying attention.

I really don’t think so...it’s night and day between retail and the MVPs versions. The cockpits alone are so dramatically different.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And the textures are so dramatically blurry.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

There's your problem. MVPS 3.8.1 require a recent nightly, they're not compatible with 3.8 which is over a year old now.

Also a note for lighting settings: -spec_exp and -ogl_spec do literally nothing for any build in the past 3ish years. And I don't mean "it's hard to see the difference", I mean "the engine doesn't interact with those flags in any way". They just don't work with the deferred lighting renderer used since 3.7.5 nightlies.

How do I fix the build version issue? I'm using Knossos