Author Topic: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion  (Read 54762 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Re: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion
Regardless of what happened, and what the solution may be, hopefully a foundation is laid for things like this not to happen again.

It is good to see Axem and the rest of the admins take these kinds of things seriously, comment on them publicly, and try to meaningfully improve things, even though the decisions may not be appealing or compelling to everyone.

Why not just restore the thread in full? I don't particularely care for the thread itself, but why this careful review and selection process when the reason for deleting the thread itself (namely, that it broke the law) was entirely illegitimate.

If the admin consensus is that Goober made a colossal mistake, choosing to either fully revert the mistake or letting the mistake stand would make sense. Reverting it partially makes no sense.

Offline Lorric

Why not just restore the thread in full? I don't particularely care for the thread itself, but why this careful review and selection process when the reason for deleting the thread itself (namely, that it broke the law) was entirely illegitimate.

If the admin consensus is that Goober made a colossal mistake, choosing to either fully revert the mistake or letting the mistake stand would make sense. Reverting it partially makes no sense.
Because Goober wasn't the only one who was wrong. Otherwise it would be done.

To quote a man who has worked with Goober for many years:

what we are dealing with here is abuse of power by an admin threatening legal action against members.

I realize poldisc isn't sunshine and rainbows, but I can't really equate any of the other members' actions with what Goober has done.

Offline Aesaar

Because Goober wasn't the only one who was wrong. Otherwise it would be done.

Goober is the only one who threatened legal action and abused his power by deleting a thread.  Notice how all the times he didn't do that, it never became a ****storm like this?  Yeah, that's because this time, Goober crossed a line, and he is the only one who crossed it.

So yeah, in this specific context, he's the only one who was wrong.

Offline Lorric

To quote a man who has worked with Goober for many years:

what we are dealing with here is abuse of power by an admin threatening legal action against members.

I realize poldisc isn't sunshine and rainbows, but I can't really equate any of the other members' actions with what Goober has done.
I do not see how the legal action thing is an abuse of admin power, anyone could threaten anyone with legal action. Don't have to be an admin.

Only the fact he wiped the thread bothers me. The legal action thing was so obviously an empty threat, he might as well have threatened to step through their screens and kick their asses!

Even if Goober is worse, that doesn't magically absolve the others.

I do not see how the legal action thing is an abuse of admin power, anyone could threaten anyone with legal action. Don't have to be an admin.

But Goober did it as part of a moderation command.

Petition to move this thread to PolDisc (and the other one too). It started there, it should be ended there; it literally carries it in title; enough of the public drama.

Offline Lorric

But Goober did it as part of a moderation command.
I never saw it that way. And he may have deleted the thread, but he never banned anyone.

Lorric I have to ask, have you actually seen the thread we're talking about here? I had expected you to post in PolDisc at some point in the past few years, since it's something you comment on often in your posts.

Offline Lorric

Lorric I have to ask, have you actually seen the thread we're talking about here? I had expected you to post in PolDisc at some point in the past few years, since it's something you comment on often in your posts.
Of course I've seen it. I even saw the moment Goober deleted most of it.

Petition to move this thread to PolDisc (and the other one too). It started there, it should be ended there; it literally carries it in title; enough of the public drama.

Goober getting his administratorship curtailed is still something that affects the wider forum. I hear you though, so I'll just stop posting in this thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

This is a site-wide issue, not just one confined to a specific subforum.

And a firm reminder to everyone to stay on-topic.  Heated disagreements are fine as long they don't get personal, but if you have an unrelated issue, kindly address it elsewhere.

Offline Aesaar

Absolve the others of what?  Disagreeing with Goober?

And yeah, if Goober had threatened bodily harm to anyone here, even as a clearly empty threat, I'd definitely consider that something that would make him unworthy of being part of the site's admin staff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:46:37 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Lorric

Absolve the others of what?  Disagreeing with Goober?

And yeah, if Goober had threatened bodily harm to anyone here, even as a clearly empty threat, I'd definitely consider that something that would make him unworthy of being part of the site's admin staff.
White supremacist, remember? Personal attack.

Let's be real though, it's not about behaviour with you people, you'd be cheering him on if that was a pro-Trump thread he wiped out.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
White supremecist supporter.

Lorric, it really seems like you have some generic axe to grind and decided this thread was the one to do it in. What's your game here? To just argue with everyone?

And for the record, I would not be for deleting a pro-trump thread (assuming a thing could even exist on a forum full of generally caring and empathetic individuals). I would post in there the same way I post in any Trump thread. I'm comfortable where my position lies and how history will look upon it... that's why I wouldn't delete any threads lol.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:30:06 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Aesaar

White supremacist, remember? Personal attack.
  No, we said he supported white supremacists.  Because he supports Trump, who is a white supremacist.

And no, like Mjn, I wouldn't be for deleting a pro-Trump thread, for pretty much the same reason.

It really just seems like you're desperately trying to make excuses for Goober because The_E stood opposite him and you hold a grudge against The_E because of bull**** that happened half a decade ago.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:29:59 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Lorric, consider this your final warning.  If you continue to air personal grievances in this thread, you will swiftly lose your ability to post in it.

Offline Lorric

Sorry you two. Looks like I can't continue this.

I'll just say it's not about E, or anyone else, at no point have I said anyone but Goober should be punished. I am happy with the decision made in the OP.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
If you are all so confident that there is nothing to stop Goober from moderating political discussion and that he will do so again, what do you think will happen when he so inevitably does?

I do think the honorable thing to do in this situation would be to resign, but let's also not pretend that removing Goober as admin wouldn't harm FS modding or magically make FS modding great again. Again, Inferno would not have released if he didn't grant me access and a testing board instead of me having to petition a ~high council of modding~ with a mission statement backed up by 3 honored members or whatever the actual process would have been. Removing Goober won't bring Battuta back, if what Aesaar posted in the last thread is to be believed - he left FS modding because of disagreements in what he was allowed to post in political discussion, not anything related to FS modding. I firmly believe that if someone leaves a modding community for a 20 year old video game over disagreements on political discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with modding a 20 year old video game, that's a problem with the person leaving.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.