Author Topic: [Coders] Field Experts Needed for Fe2 (Physics, AI, Gfx, ...)  (Read 4280 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
[Coders] Field Experts Needed for Fe2 (Physics, AI, Gfx, ...)
I might take you up on that one of these days--especially if this new job opportunity falls through. Then I'll have nothing to do at all but code and do 3d and job search.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
excellent
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Kazan, about the physics. Why don't you just keep the normal FS2 tables? They do a suprisingly good job of realistic physics if you know how to work them, and they're very easy to edit.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Realistic physics? What are you talking about UT?

If the engine were realistic I could go with a relative speed as high as I wish....now that's not possible with the current system IIRC.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well, that's not possible in any game  (gameplay concerns), although you CAN make the speed limit super high, as in I-War2, where it was something like 99999.

And, yes, it is possible. I'm using a dumbed-down version in my campaign.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
When you can bank on gravity wells and your velocity is DECOUPLED from your thrusters (thrusters don't govern velocity. They govern acceleration, damnit) and you can the physics are--at the absolute most basic--newtonian vectors, then you have reasonably 'realistic' physics. You cannot do those things in FE1.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Anyway the engine would have to handle infinite or at least planetary distances (smg. like the distance you can cover in orbit in the duration of an hour - provided you're in low orbit and at stabile orbiting velocity).

A far rendering plane could solve several problems, however huge things (extreme battleships, planet models, planet surface models, jugernauts, knossos like things) will screw with that so a multi-distance multi-category system will have to be used.

If all ships had a base distance to be rendered and a far clipping plane based upon the greatest distance of the ship or model in the actual mission could solve this.

Beyond that distance we won't have render issues, so all we have to store is the koordinates of the ship.

This is no news to coders, but smg. could be done to finally have a more expanded setting - I don't know how this one would fit in with the multiple game-sphere idea, but I don't see the two contradicting each other.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:57:40 am by 997 »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
flaser frustrums work with single clipping planes

you can only have one frustrum set per plane
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir